Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Thoughts on the new UI from the perspective of a music-heavy user

anlinanlin Members, Plex Pass Posts: 33 Plex Pass

The new 3.x Web UI has been out for a while now, and although I do like the new look and other improvements and I think the UI update was a new positive, there are a few issues that are annoying as a music-heavy user of the Plex Web App. In my opinion the UI in its current form places too much emphasis on aesthetics at the cost of functionality.

1. Inefficient use of space in album view: The new UI places the album art in a fixed width column on the left side. As the windows gets narrower, the track names are cut off and the album art stays put. As a portrait monitor user this is one of my main annoyances. I would prefer if the album art moved to the top of the page or disappeared altogether as the window gets narrower instead of taking up space and causing the track names to be cut off. I know this has been discussed at length when the update first became available, but I thought it should be included here as well for the sake of completeness.

2. Inconsistent behaviour when clicking track names: Clicking the name of a track in the library view takes the user to the album, but clicking the name of a track in the popular tracks or album views selects the song. I find this very counter-intuitive and I really think clicking the name of a track should default to playing the track. I can only think of a couple of times I've accidentally played a track instead of selecting it, but I've done the opposite countless times since the update.

3. No way to order tracks by date last played (as far as I know). There is no option to add a 'date played' column in the library view. I used to use this feature a lot in the previous version to find tracks I previously listened to. I am aware of the ability to filter tracks by date last played, but it is an unnecessarily convoluted and clunky process (that also seems to apply secondary ordering, obscuring the original play order - ie. I can filter out tracks played before or after a certain time, but the resulting list is always ordered by title or artist etc.).

I didn't want to make this a feature request quite yet, as I have no idea how others have found the UI changes (or if I'm the only one with these complaints :smile:). Feel free to let me know if you agree or disagree with any of the points above!

Comments

• beckfieldbeckfield Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3,554 Plex Pass
    1. I agree, although this isn't changed from the previous UI. In fact, the new UI makes a small improvement when the browser window narrows. In the past, the album art stayed there, unchanged, taking an increasingly large percentage of the horizontal space. In the new UI, as the window narrows, the album art reduces in size (once) to make a little more room. I agree, though, that all that space in the column below the artwork is wasted. They would be better off putting the art in the header with the title, and give the entire width to the track list.

2. I agree again. There are three different ways Plex displays tracks in a list format (Library by Tracks, Album details, and Playlists), and they all behave differently. It is definitely confusing.

3. You can sort tracks by date played if you use the Grid view. (This is for the entire library only):

I don't understand why this isn't an option in the List view, but at least there's a way.

If you do make feature requests out of these, please check to make sure there aren't already existing requests in the Feature Requests forum. If you add new ones, you'll only end up splitting votes. Also, only one request per thread. If you haven't already, take a look at the Announcements at the top of the Feature Request forum.

• anlinanlin Members, Plex Pass Posts: 33 Plex Pass

@beckfield I hadn't even considered the grid view would have different options for sorting tracks than the list view (which I use almost exclusively to browse my music library). Thanks for the tip!