Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Is it possible to enable a volume overlay?

2»

Comments

• lisagoodlisagood Posts: 216Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi, I use a WIndows MCE remote IR receiver like this (known as an ehome device):

https://www.quietpc.com/msrem

I also have this combined keyboard / mouse:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00DUUF30Y/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Plus, I have tested with a standard USB wired keyboard with shortcuts for volume change, and two different Windows 10 PC's and they all behave the same.

They do alter the volume, and when PMP is not open, I see the windows 10 volume overlay move.

But, with PMP open and running, I see no visual volume bar / overlay, even though the volume is being changed.

• vlangvlang Posts: 1,556Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

does PMP only display the volume overlay when it receives a command to change the volume directly, or will it reflect changes to the volume made by Windows (or externally in general)?

No, PMP has its own volume control. The global Windows volume control will be applied on top of it.

Maybe the problem is that the remote actually sends events consumed by the global Windows volume control.

Okay, we have progress! The + and - keys bring up the Plex volume bar / overlay.

Unfortunately this isn't very helpful, as it only controls a trim to the windows global volume, and won't actually increase the volume beyond what the windows global volume is set at

As I use this machine for a number of different apps and purposes, I can't risk having the volume up really high and then trimming it in PMP, as I might damage my speakers when not in PMP, or (for example) if a windows notification comes in.

On the same machine, I have PMP, Open PHT, Plex Home Theatre, Media Portal 1, Media Portal 2 and Kodi. Having just discovered the + and - controls, I went into those apps to see what they do. In all of those apps, I get volume overlay with both the volume keys and the + and - keys. Some show different volumes (so windows global plus the apps ability to trim it) but some just show the one volume bar. In all of them though I can see exactly what the global windows volume is set at.

A solution, I think would be to allow the windows volume bar to be visible within PMP Which it would be if I could run it in full screen windowed mode. As I said previously, the windows volume bar does show through when running PMP in windowed mode, but it is not usable in that mode as the task bar and borders are visible, so no good for watching films or TV.

Is full screen windowed mode possible?

Should I start a new thread about full screen windowed mode, as I guess that is where we are now, as getting the volume overlay to show is now solved?

• vlangvlang Posts: 1,556Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

We could consider external mixer control as a feature request, but honestly I don't see the point. You could probably configure windows (or as last fallback use some third party software) to display a volume overlay when the volume is changed. I don't think normal applications should even mess with the global volume control.

Hi @vlang . I do have windows configured to show an overlay when the global windows volume is changed, but Plex Media Player hides it. Is it possible that I could run PMP in windowed full screen mode so that the windows volume overlay shows over the top of it?

Monday bump!

Does no reply mean that it is not possible to run Plex Media Player in a full screen windowed mode, or does it mean that no-one has had a chance to read my post yet? Thanks!

• onekmilesbehindonekmilesbehind Posts: 69Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

vlang's first reply back in the thread outlines that you can switch from windowed/full screen via shift + f11, but you won't be able to have the windowed mode behave like full screen and block out the dock/window borders--that's what full screen mode is designed for.

I really think this boils down to the IR remote sending a key command that Plex doesn't recognize as the volume up down command (especially since you can get the overlay to appear using the +/- on your keyboard). Creating a custom inputmap should fix this as it will force Plex to recognize the remote's volume keypresses as such. Another less tech-involved option is to buy a FLIRC and try with that. That more or less creates a custom inputmap of its own via a GUI-driven process. I got one to allow me to use my aluminum Apple remote with my HTPC and it works well.

Hi @onekmilesbehind thanks for the reply.

As you say F11 doesn't help as that gives a windowed mode with borders. What I need is a full screen windowed mode, without borders. There is the option for this in Plex Home Theatre. I need it in Plex Media Player as this would allow for the global windows volume slider to be visible.

A flirc or custom input map would not help as that would just bring the plex volume overlay up, I can do that now using the + and - keys on the keyboard.

The problem is that plex will only trim ( reduce) the volume from whatever it is set at in windows. If I leave the windows volume at max and just trim it in plex, external audio such as notifications and audio from other software on the PC will be so loud it could damage the speakers.

Does enabling exclusive mode in the audio settings help at all (in addition to manually setting the output device)? That should block other apps from putting out audio (theoretically).

If not, you can post the PHT-esque window mode and the external mixer support as feature requests, though your mileage may vary on response time. Plex has really locked down the UI of late. Since this isn't a bug, changing the behavior is better categorized as a feature request and so is subject to Plex weighing whether or not the request fits in with their overall vision of PMP.

No, exclusive mode doesn't help. Still too risky as I use the PC for other things other than Plex.

How does everyone else manage, do you leave the global windows volume at 100% and have very loud audio outside of Plex?

Thanks - how do I post a feature request?

I have my PC connected via HDMI to my receiver that decodes all the audio and I have only ever adjusted volume on the receiver itself. I had to dig into the Windows sound settings to figure out where my global volume was set (56). Sorry I haven't been able to help with this, our A/V setups and usage are different enough where I don't run into the issue you're having, but see why it's frustrating.

There is a PlexPass-only sub-forum for feature requests, but be sure to search that forum to see if your request exists already. There's a thread on the rules for that sub-forum here.

2»