If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Can Echo connect to Plex directly (no roku or other player in the equation)?

dwt12777dwt12777 Posts: 48Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I tried the Amazon Echo Plex skill shortly after it came out. After attempting to get it to work for a few days, I finally gave up. I could never get it to see my Roku device through the network, even though it was connected and could play content just fine.

However, I wonder if it would/could/should be possible to play music from my plex server through the echo without involving the Roku at all.

It makes sense for video to involve the roku. But if all I want to do is play music from my PMS through the Echo, shouldn’t it be possible to cut out all that extra stuff and let the Echo play audio from Plex?

In short, I want to be able to play music from my home computer on my Echo without having to upload all that music to Amazon. I was hoping this Plex/Alexa skill might be the answer. Does anyone know of a way to do this?

Thanks!

Tagged:

Answers

• kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Posts: 5,566Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

The Echo is not a playback device that Plex can use. Not sure if that will ever happen. I believe people have connected a phone or another device via BT to the Echo, then use the phone to initiate playback from Plex and use the Echo as the speaker. That's the best you can do right now.

Where are my log files?

How do I properly name my media files?

NVIDIA SHIELD SMB/NAS Sharing How-To - / - NVIDIA SHIELD Support Documents

Plex Server: Running on ThinkServer TS140 w/Server 2012 R2 Essentials
    Primary Plex Player: Shield TV, always the latest beta build, always the latest firmware revision

• zolakkzolakk Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

There's this project, which sounds like it works. I haven't tried it yet, but plan on soon https://hackernoon.com/plex-alexa-the-perfect-wedding-38b14b41faf0

• DaviatorDaviator Posts: 1Members Plex Pass
    edited August 8

My wife just bought an Echo and and I thought, "Cool, I can have it play the music on my DNLA NAS device." Nope, not directly at least. So I discovered that Plex is sort of supported. Being new to the Echo I was a bit frustrated as to the lack of documentation on how to connect the Plex server to the Echo.

Sure, Plex has a slick video showing it in action... blah blah blah but very little on how to actually make it happen. I did eventually figure it out but was disappointed to find out that the songs will not play through the Echo. So instead of just making a few mouse clicks to play my music, I now have to shout at a tube to maybe get it to play some of my music with even less control than just using the device itself. What's the point?

I applaud Plex for getting it this far and I'm more annoyed with the Echo for being so propriety, but the home speaker-that-can-do-it-all concept is still far more cumbersome and limited than it is useful.

• nicknack35nicknack35 Posts: 87Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Alexa is great and its brillant how the technology has moved on but Alexa with plex is not for me its heading in the right direction but with been a PLEX PASS user you lose some of the benefits with using Alexa like Movie previews and few others and not been able to scroll though your libarys

• SiscoPlexSiscoPlex Posts: 969Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@nicknack35 said:
    Alexa is great and its brillant how the technology has moved on but Alexa with plex is not for me its heading in the right direction but with been a PLEX PASS user you lose some of the benefits with using Alexa like Movie previews and few others and not been able to scroll though your libarys

You lose only the preroll and trailers only if invoked through Alexa otherwise all other features work as intended.