If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Is it pssible to use Watch Later with a plex cloud server?

Hi,

I'm new with plex and I'm loving it.

I only use plex with a cloud server and I am still learnig all there is to know. I have been trying to use the watch later feature, but no matter what i try it won't work. It says that the connection to the server was lost and the video won't play. Is that because I don't have a physical server?

Thanks for your help!

Answers

• shopgirl284shopgirl284 Posts: 2,752Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Forum Moderator Plex Ninja

You do not need a local Plex Media Server to access Watch Later content. It is always accessible as long as you are logged into your Plex account.

But any media you play in Plex, including Watch Later videos, must either be in a format that is compatible with and will direct play on the player/device your are using to access Plex or you must have a Plex Media Server with the CPU power necessary to transcode that media.

Watch Later/PlexIt provides access to existing online media offered on websites. The media formats websites offer are varied and often change over time. Since no player/device supports every format that may be offered on the Internet, your ability to play online media in Plex, without a Plex Media Server able to transcode, will depend on the format of that media and the media types supported by the player/device your are using.

If you provide the name of the website you are trying to play media from with Watch Later, someone here can tell you the format that website currently uses for its media. But you would need to refer to the support documentation for your player/device (the support documentation for the actual player or device itself) to determine its supported media types.

Also understand that Plex channels/Watch Later just provide a Plex-friendly interface for existing online content. Therefore, if you cannot play media directly from a website, for example due to region-restrictions imposed by that website, then you will not be able to play that media through Plex.

Many issues and questions can be resolved by reviewing the Plex Support Documentation
    Providing details about your issue, Plex setup, and including log files are important when when asking for help on the forums.
    See Log Files
    Before posting channel plugin questions or issues, please review the pinned threads at the top of the Channel Plugin forum:
    READ FIRST: Guidelines for Posting Channel Plugin Issues/Questions and Things to Check First
    FAQ for Channel Plugin FAQ