If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Sporadic "There was a problem playing this item" with some shows

moderatewinguymoderatewinguy Posts: 15Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited July 7 in Plex Web App

I've been occasionally getting this error with some anime shows.
It's never happened for a standard tv show.
I was watching one yesterday that did it a few times then started playing normally for the rest of the evening and today has started giving the "There was a problem playing this item" error again for the same episodes that worked yesterday.
Does anyone know the cause of this and how I can fix it?
The files themselves play fine when played through VLC or windows media player.
It happens in the chrome web page and the windows application. I'll check the android app this evening.

Answers

• moderatewinguymoderatewinguy Posts: 15Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

It starts playing fine over my android phone.

• vlangvlang Posts: 1,647Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

We'd need playback logs for this.
    1. Stop PMP
    2. Restart PMP
    3. Play the file that fails
    4. Stop PMP
    5. Get the "Plex Media Player.log" log file (https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/207338748-Plex-Media-Player-Logs) and post it here.

• 1stpclsr1stpclsr Posts: 6Members ✭✭

Please refer here, I followed the steps detailed by TsukiNaito and I am back up and running.

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/256413/the-transcoder-crashed-or-failed-to-start-up

@1stpclsr That doesn't sound like the same issue. The transcoder never starts as it happens when i click the file to play it, and there is no transcoder error in the logs that I can see.

@vlang
    I've attached the log file. The episode im trying to play is "Miss Kobayashis Dragon Maid - E12 - Tohru and Kobayashis Impactful Meeting!" and the timestamp on the last entry to find it at is Jul 08, 2017 19:36:14 (in the "Plex Media Server.log" file. Hopefully it can give you some insight.

Hey Winguy...you're right. I was experiencing two issues, which only one appears to be resolved. I am still experiencing the issue you are, but have given up and downloaded and setup Emby which plays everything without issue. I sure hope Plex can sort this out soon....

• vlangvlang Posts: 1,647Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@moderatewinguy there doesn't seem to be anything interesting in the log, and it seems to direct play. So I'd need PMP logs, not PMS logs.

@vlang Ah sorry, had to figure out where to find that log. Here it is.

Sorry, that's also not the log I'm looking for.

See my earlier post here: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1473680/#Comment_1473680

Ooooohhhhh sorry! I just realized that I'm using the plex chrome app, and in chrome web browser version, not the PMP; So I downloaded the PMP to try it out and play that file to get the logs but it plays in the PMP fine, so if you could move this issue to somewhere more appropriate it'd be much appreciated.
    Then just let me know what logs i need to fine from the chrome player end.

OK, that explains it. Sorry for the confusion. On the server side, everything still looks roughly ok to me, so I can't say much about it. So I only moved this to the correct sub forum and I'll leave it to the folks here. The "pmpLog.txt" you posted will probably be useful (it's just misnamed.)

• kd6iczkd6icz Posts: 246Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This has been an issue for me the past few days. Only on the web player. Attached are my latest logs.

Home built Supermicro X99 motherboard with Intel i7-6950x with all 10 cores locked at 4GHz! Each thread scoring 2500 passmark with 128GB 3300 DDR4 and 10Gbps Intel SFP+ NIC. Files stored on QNAP TS-1635 NAS with twelve 6TB WD Reds in RAID6!

Hey folks..have you had any luck with this? I still have the same issues. Movies play fine until I want to cast them, then i receive this error.

Thanks in advance.

No luck here sorry. Since it only ever happened for me on the web player, I've taken to using the Plex Media Player program while watching on my pc since it does not occur on there.