Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

RasperryPi 3 SD Card speed and capacity and BT Remote

PrzemoPrzemo Members, Plex Pass Posts: 86 Plex Pass
edited July 7 in Plex Media Player

I am considering moving my PMP from Mac Mini to RaspberryPi 3 and I have few questions:
1. What capacity of microSD card is the best? 16GB, 32GB or higher?
2. What speed is sufficient for PMP embedded, Sandisk Extreme, Sandisk Extreme Plus (UHS Speed Class 3) or Sandisk Extreme Pro (UHS Speed Class 3)? I prefere Sandisk cards, I will consider other brands, is there better choice?
3. Would I be able to use Blutooth PS3 Remote?
4. Would I be able to use HRT Music Streamer as sound output?
Raspberry Pi is going to be connected by ethernet cable to gigabit smart switch, using PMS installed on Synology DS1515+ (8GB RAM, 7TB movies and music).

Answers

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 22,751 Plex Ninja

1) 8GB is plenty
    2) SanDisk Ultra, regular speed class 10
    3) no idea. depends on how it works. You might wanna search in this forum
    4) probably not.

Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging
  • CoxeroniCoxeroni Members, Plex Pass Posts: 190 Plex Pass

2) I would prefer rasplex (openPHT client) instead.
    3) get a Logitech Harmony and any IR-receiver. flirc works execptionally well.

• PrzemoPrzemo Members, Plex Pass Posts: 86 Plex Pass

@OttoKerner:
    thanks, ad. 4. HRT Music Streamer II is a USB DAC, it is working under linux, it is working under mac, I thought that there is a huge chance it would work under PMP embedded.

@Coxeroni:
    thanks, ad.2 Why?

Is there a huge difference beside GUI in Rasplex and PMP embedded?

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 22,751 Plex Ninja

@Przemo said:
    thanks, ad. 4. HRT Music Streamer II is a USB DAC, it is working under linux, it is working under mac, I thought that there is a huge chance it would work under PMP embedded.

PMP embedded is based on LibreElec, so if that one comes with a fitting device driver there are chances to get it working.

Yes. There is.
    Since both are free, just try them out both and see which you like better.
    Get a second SD card and you can swap them out easily.

Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging

@Przemo said:
    @OttoKerner:

@Coxeroni:
    thanks, ad.2 Why?

I tested both and I like rasplex much more. Advantages for rasplex that I can remember:

• possibility to have screensaver with pictures from photo library (huge deal breaker for me)
    • feels snappier probably due to precaching function
    • I like the looks more (altohugh I use the standard skin and not AeonNox)

In the beginning I also had trouble connecting to my local server with PMP while rasplex worked fine.
    As @OttoKerner says: test them both and see what suits you best. You even have the third option of running kodi through LibreElec with the Plex for Kodi addon.

• pgalbavypgalbavy Validating, Plex Pass Posts: 20 Plex Pass

Also note that it is well worth buying the license keys for MPEG-2 and VC-1 is you play back either of those formats. The former for the lower power drain (no icon flashing in the top right) and the latter to be able to play back VC-1 rips without transcoding. From the RPi store they are something like £2 each.

@pgalavy
    thanks, I don't use VC-1 or MPEG2 in my library. :)

@all:
    I will try with both PMP and RasPlex, and choose better. I guess one advantage of PMP is Lyrics in music section.

@Przemo said:
    @pgalavy
    thanks, I don't use VC-1 or MPEG2 in my library. :)

@all:
    I will try with both PMP and RasPlex, and choose better. I guess one advantage of PMP is Lyrics in music section.

Can't say anything about lyrics, didn't test ;)

• TeccoTecco Members, Plex Pass Posts: 50 Plex Pass

@Przemo said:
    4. Would I be able to use HRT Music Streamer as sound output?

I am using PMP with my Pi 3 and sending the audio to my receiver (Pioneer SC-95) over HDMI. My 24/192 FLAC files direct play correctly. Not sure if this helps.

OK, I have checked:
    On the Rasplex 1.8.0 (RaspberryPi 3) the HRT Music Streamer II is working properly (96KHz USB DAC output to amp),
    The Sony PS3 Bluetooth remote is working (paired).
    Microsoft XBox Media remote (old version) is working (USB IRDA).
    I do prefere XBox remote (it has lightened up buttons and fits better in my hand).
    I still have to check the Plex Media Player embedded.
    System is working on 16GB Sandisk Extreme Plus.