Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

[BUG 6.1.2] Quality setting overriden

rberberrberber Members Posts: 165 ✭✭

Every single video I play has a "convert to 20 Mbps" setting, which is not the one I choose in the configuration.

In Configuration I have the default, which the description says will only convert videos with more than 20 Mbps bitrate, I want to play them at their original bitrate always, and since that option doesn't exist in the general configuration only on the per-video settings I had to use default.

Problem is all my videos started stuttering, and its not a network problem, videos of 3 to 8 Mbps stutter on a WiFi connection of 300 Mbps.

Comments

  • MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 15,365 Plex Employee

    Please recreate the problem and then provide the log from the Android app.

  • rberberrberber Members Posts: 165 ✭✭
    edited July 14

    Plex just updated to 6.1.3.933, 2 logs included:

    1. Log with global quality setting at "Use recommended settings", video stuttering, video gets message "your connection to the server is not fast enough...", server was transcoding;
    2. Log with video quality setting moved from 20 Mbps to "Play Original Quality" (14.5 Mbps), video plays fine, server doesn't transcode.
  • JkunstJkunst Members, Plex Pass Posts: 6 Plex Pass

    Having a similar issue. Videos have become unwatchable when I switch the quality to original during a movie, it switches back to convert to 20Mbps

  • MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 15,365 Plex Employee

    @rberber said:
    Plex just updated to 6.1.3.933, 2 logs included:

    1. Log with **global ** quality setting at "Use recommended settings", video stuttering, video gets message "your connection to the server is not fast enough...", server was transcoding;
    2. Log with **video ** quality setting moved from 20 Mbps to "Play Original Quality" (14.5 Mbps), video plays fine, server doesn't transcode.

    I do see an issue in your log. For 1 - the app decided that it could direct play the video and not the audio, but something caused it to tell PMS to transcode the video. Your Diskstation isn't powerful enough to handle transcoding the video. When you switch the setting the correct decision gets used and only the audio gets converted. This requires a lot less power so your server has no issue.

    I'll need to investigate why the video was being transcoded. Can you repeat 1 and get me the PMS log?

  • rberberrberber Members Posts: 165 ✭✭
    edited July 14

    I think the answer is the transcoding to 20 Mbps video (from the 14.5 Mbps on the original). Meaning the app is telling the server to transcode, which is the main problem.

    PMS log of first test attached deleted.

  • MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 15,365 Plex Employee

    Looks like you did not have debug logging enabled at the time of your first test, so there isn't info in the PMS log for that specific attempt.

    Instead of the Recommended setting, have you tried turning that off and setting it to maximum? The recommended setting will adjust the starting quality setting based on your internet/network connection. It may have detected an internet/network issue so it was transcoding to a lower bitrate to make up for that. This info isn't in your log so I can't confirm what is really going on.

  • rberberrberber Members Posts: 165 ✭✭

    Sorry about the log, I enabled debug log, then made the test... perhaps I need to restart PMS? I'll check this time at the server side, if/when the log starts growing I'll send that one.

    The objective is no transcoding, setting quality to max will probably do transcoding, but I'll also test that.

    In the log, after debug is set (11:19:29) first test is the one above, starting after 11:25:17, stopped at 11:26:37. Then changing home streaming quality to maximum, test starts after 11:28:58, play settings show "convert to 200 Mbps" but no transcoding is done (checking on the server side).

    It seems maximum does work, at least after one test. Still recommended doesn't do what it describes (in small type), and the error message is wrong (i.e. the connection speed has nothing to do, its the server's not able to transcode at the required speed).

Sign In or Register to comment.