If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

[BUG 6.1.2] Quality setting overriden

rberberrberber Posts: 170Members ✭✭

Every single video I play has a "convert to 20 Mbps" setting, which is not the one I choose in the configuration.

In Configuration I have the default, which the description says will only convert videos with more than 20 Mbps bitrate, I want to play them at their original bitrate always, and since that option doesn't exist in the general configuration only on the per-video settings I had to use default.

Problem is all my videos started stuttering, and its not a network problem, videos of 3 to 8 Mbps stutter on a WiFi connection of 300 Mbps.

Comments

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 16,037Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Please recreate the problem and then provide the log from the Android app.

• rberberrberber Posts: 170Members ✭✭
    edited July 14

Plex just updated to 6.1.3.933, 2 logs included:

1. Log with global quality setting at "Use recommended settings", video stuttering, video gets message "your connection to the server is not fast enough...", server was transcoding;
    2. Log with video quality setting moved from 20 Mbps to "Play Original Quality" (14.5 Mbps), video plays fine, server doesn't transcode.
  • JkunstJkunst Posts: 16Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Having a similar issue. Videos have become unwatchable when I switch the quality to original during a movie, it switches back to convert to 20Mbps

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 16,037Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@rberber said:
    Plex just updated to 6.1.3.933, 2 logs included:

1. Log with **global ** quality setting at "Use recommended settings", video stuttering, video gets message "your connection to the server is not fast enough...", server was transcoding;
    2. Log with **video ** quality setting moved from 20 Mbps to "Play Original Quality" (14.5 Mbps), video plays fine, server doesn't transcode.

I do see an issue in your log. For 1 - the app decided that it could direct play the video and not the audio, but something caused it to tell PMS to transcode the video. Your Diskstation isn't powerful enough to handle transcoding the video. When you switch the setting the correct decision gets used and only the audio gets converted. This requires a lot less power so your server has no issue.

I'll need to investigate why the video was being transcoded. Can you repeat 1 and get me the PMS log?

edited July 14

I think the answer is the transcoding to 20 Mbps video (from the 14.5 Mbps on the original). Meaning the app is telling the server to transcode, which is the main problem.

PMS log of first test attached deleted.

Looks like you did not have debug logging enabled at the time of your first test, so there isn't info in the PMS log for that specific attempt.

Instead of the Recommended setting, have you tried turning that off and setting it to maximum? The recommended setting will adjust the starting quality setting based on your internet/network connection. It may have detected an internet/network issue so it was transcoding to a lower bitrate to make up for that. This info isn't in your log so I can't confirm what is really going on.

Sorry about the log, I enabled debug log, then made the test... perhaps I need to restart PMS? I'll check this time at the server side, if/when the log starts growing I'll send that one.

The objective is no transcoding, setting quality to max will probably do transcoding, but I'll also test that.

In the log, after debug is set (11:19:29) first test is the one above, starting after 11:25:17, stopped at 11:26:37. Then changing home streaming quality to maximum, test starts after 11:28:58, play settings show "convert to 200 Mbps" but no transcoding is done (checking on the server side).

It seems maximum does work, at least after one test. Still recommended doesn't do what it describes (in small type), and the error message is wrong (i.e. the connection speed has nothing to do, its the server's not able to transcode at the required speed).

• artlanartlan Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Just tossing in my 2 cents - I've been having this >exact< same issue for some weeks now as well. Been looking all over in the forums for other info, just found this thread (from another one about the same problem (https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/279942/play-original-quality-does-nothing) ) - I can confirm that setting the quality from "Recommended" to "Maximum" seems to be working (I no longer get massive stuttering/buffering or have to change the quality setting back to "Original" for every ep I play, when before it would be trying to upscale the up to an un-playable speed)

edited August 3

Bad news after updating today to version 6.3.1.1317.

First the good news: setting Quality -> Video Quality -> Home Streaming to Recommended works again, no transcoding.

Bad news: Now it stutters all the time (big time, much worse than before), and the server is not transcoding (the video).

Found a workaround: change setting in Advanced -> Player -> Use Android Media Player, setting it seems to play fine (direct video, audio transcoded, as expected).

Side note: another piece of weirdness, when I set the video's play quality to original quality (7 Mbps in my test), and this using the built-in player (before I changed to using the native one) the shown bitrate jumped to 200 Mbps after a while. I've never seen that, the playing bitrate changing all of a sudden.

Something else I did, after updating and seeing the stuttering play, I did reboot my tablet to see if that improved things, if it did it wasn't noticeable.

• aaronc7aaronc7 Posts: 26Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited August 3

I have the same issue on both the latest Android (6.3.2.1332) and iOS (4.15).

Setting the global quality setting to "Recommended" results in content under 20 Mbps being transcoded.

In my test file, the original file was around 11 Mbps. With the "Recommended" quality setting, Plex transcodes the video to 15-16 Mbps.

Changing the quality setting to "Maximum" resolves the issue, as I guess it's basically forcing original quality.

The new "Automatically Adjust Quality" setting seems to be independent here. Turning that on, but keeping global quality to "Maximum", no transcoding. Turning it on but leaving the quality setting to "Recommend", I get the same transcode result. Issue seems to be linked to the "Recommended" option.

I will be glad to take logs on both iOS and Android...never done it before, I will read up on that now and attempt to post.

• aaronc7aaronc7 Posts: 26Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited August 4

Well, I just played a bunch of files (all below 20 Mbps, 1080p H264, DTS audio) and it actually seems like it is hit or miss whether or not it will transcode or not when playing <20Mbps files with the "recommended" setting.

I found 2 files that are very similar in bitrates, but one transcodes and the other does not. Captured logs for both.

Transcode.zip is the first file that has the issue

Direct Stream.zip is the file that is direct streamed (audio is converted to be expected) and works as advertised.

Here is a picture of the settings as I have them too:

edited August 4

@aaronc7 said:
    Well, I just played a bunch of files (all below 20 Mbps, 1080p H264, DTS audio) and it actually seems like it is hit or miss whether or not it will transcode or not when playing <20Mbps files with the "recommended" setting.

I agree with this, I've also seen some files play fine, after stuttering in an earlier test... yep, the same file. I don't see transcoding (at the server side, but yes the app lies, it shows a bitrate as if it were asking for transcoding, but the same happened before when the setting was at max), so I'm still guessing the problem is all in the built-in player.

No problem with using the native Android player, and the global quality setting at recommended.

Forgot to add that the app updated again, the next day after the last update. I'm not sure what version I really have, but it may be 6.3.2.