Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex media server fatal crashes (probably caused by web app)

zluzarzluzar Members, Plex Pass Posts: 19 Plex Pass

Hello,

i face the problem of PMS crashing (v. 1.7.4.4017) when transcoding videos into web player app (usually 720p or 1080p hevc source video transcoding into the web player app). The server crashes irregularly, usually when i am not home (so i cant simply to restart the shield). Usually my brother (who uses firefox for watching videos in web app) reports that PMS stopped working.

So I just did some "stress" test to find out the cause. I dont know the cause but i will describe what happened. At first i started to stream 3 simultaneous videos in Firefox and 1 in Edge (2 of them 1080p, 2 were 720p, all in HEVC format). Everything over local wifi. Simultaneos streaming was generally OK, just some minor buffering regarding 1080p videos. Than i closed the Edge browser and the 3 streams (2x1080 and 1x 720p) remained playing. Than i stopped both 1080p streams, while 720p was still running. Than I decided to start again one of the 1080p streams (from last saved position). By this action, the server crashed and stopped working totally. So even the 720p stream was ended. PMS was dead (even Plex app on Shield could not connect to PMS). The only way to bring Plex to life is to restart whole Shield TV - after that it is OK. But for how long? This crashes happens too often to my taste. It is so frustrating, plex is not reliable at all.

I must point out that this crashing happens also when not stressing Shield with multiple streams. It seems to be the issue only regarding web app player, not connected to multiple simultaneous streaming (after all, i have set limitation to max 3 simultaneous transcodes on PMS). After restarting Shield I downloaded logs but I dont understand them (but i am able to provide them for investigation).

Any help? Your lifetime plex subscriber.
Zdenek

Tagged:

Best Answers

• zluzarzluzar Members, Plex Pass Posts: 19 Plex Pass
    Accepted Answer

@zluzar said:
    Ok, hope you will find and resolve the issue. Btw is there a way to remotedly restart Shield? Without rooting...?Just in case it crashes during vacation...

I will answer myself - I FOUND ONE SOLUTION! I have logitech harmony control for controlling everything (tv, shield, blueray etc). This think is just amazing, really. For example you can control your staff even when not at home via cloud! So i defined a new activity "restart shield" by which i can force to restart the shield even from other side of the world! Just amazing :smile:

Answers

• rouqrouq Members, Plex Pass Posts: 130 Plex Pass

I noticed this behavior starting with version 1.7.2. My kids use computers to watch content and they were using the web player a lot. I was tired to reboot the shield few times a day. I kind of wave away the problem by installing PMP on those computers.

• sa2000sa2000 Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Posts: 27,429 Plex Team Member

If there is a crash, the logs should give info about it

Please see
    https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201643703-Reporting-issues-with-Plex-Media-Server
    https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200250417-Plex-Media-Server-Log-Files

and see if you can update the version to 1.7.5

Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows

Thanks for everybodys information regarding this issue.

To roug: unfortinatelly i cant apply your solution as my brother watches plex at work during night shifts and very probably he cant install any applications on his computer. Also i have more friends to whome i share my library and i cant be sure who uses which player option. So, additional information is, that my friends (including brother) are not streaming under my own account, but they are streaming as my friends to whom i share my library (maybe it helps maybe not).

To sa2000: Shield does not offer me an update to 1.7.5. This problem, however, persists for a longer period so i would be surprised if it is corrected in this latest version. Thanks for refferences - i learned how to enclose the logs, which i am enclosing now. Hope it would help.

• sa2000sa2000 Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Posts: 27,429 Plex Team Member

@zluzar said:
    Thanks for everybodys information regarding this issue.

To roug: unfortinatelly i cant apply your solution as my brother watches plex at work during night shifts and very probably he cant install any applications on his computer. Also i have more friends to whome i share my library and i cant be sure who uses which player option. So, additional information is, that my friends (including brother) are not streaming under my own account, but they are streaming as my friends to whom i share my library (maybe it helps maybe not).

To sa2000: Shield does not offer me an update to 1.7.5. This problem, however, persists for a longer period so i would be surprised if it is corrected in this latest version. Thanks for refferences - i learned how to enclose the logs, which i am enclosing now. Hope it would help.

Thank you for the logs. I can see a hang starting at 23:18 on 7th July. It is a suspected deadlock problem where one thread has locked out the others stopping requests from being processed.

We are waiting for diagnostics from users for this to try and find what is causing the deadlock
    What is needed in addition to the logs, is to see if this url would work and to get the displayed results
    http://192.168.1.16:32400/connections?X-Plex-Token=xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    So when you get the lock out, try this url in a browser (assuming your shield IP is 192.168.1.16)
    But need to prepare for it and have the server token available for you to put in
    See this support article for how to find the token
    https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/204059436-Finding-an-authentication-token-X-Plex-Token

So get the result from the above request and the logs when it happens again

Linking to related forum threads
    http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/277090/most-mornings-my-plex-has-crashed/p1
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/273256/503-service-unavailable/p1

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows

Hi sa2000,
    again i tried to force crashes of the PMSr by playing and stopping videos in web app (mostly in firefox but one video was transcoding to the in Edge web player and one was transcoding to LG tv).
    Except of the crash and downloading requested logs i noticed one minor issue which i will describe in following comment to not mix apples and oranges.
    So regarding crash reports:

• i mangaged to get token and your hyperlink was working - immediatelly after the crash of PMS i downloaded Crash report1. Than i also enclose additional 2 crash reports (after i closed Firefox and Edge...) because they are changing each time i refresh the hyperlink. So i hope it would help
    • after restarting shield i also downloaded new logs (via web app)

So i hope you got all necessary information to identify the cause of PMS crashes when streaming/transcoding into web app

To sa2000,
    regarding the second issue - I noticed, that when initiated playing from last saved position, many times (but not always) the movie just wont start properly - it stucks with blank screen with the circle showing buffering (see the picture). However, when i move a slider to rewind movie forward or back few seconds/minutes (when the movie is stuck on the above mentioned blank buffering screen), it starts playing immediatelly.

So there is some minor problem with the function enabling to continue playing from last saved position. I also created a crash report using the token when it happened, but it shows nothing special.

@zluzar said:
    Hi sa2000,
    again i tried to force crashes of the PMSr by playing and stopping videos in web app (mostly in firefox but one video was transcoding to the in Edge web player and one was transcoding to LG tv).
    Except of the crash and downloading requested logs i noticed one minor issue which i will describe in following comment to not mix apples and oranges.

• i mangaged to get token and your hyperlink was working - immediatelly after the crash of PMS i downloaded Crash report1. Than i also enclose additional 2 crash reports (after i closed Firefox and Edge...) because they are changing each time i refresh the hyperlink. So i hope it would help

So i hope you got all necessary information to identify the cause of PMS crashes when streaming/transcoding into web app

Thanks for the /connections info and logs

Do you have access to the command line interface on the shield ? Through ADB tool ?
    What i am after is to see if we can force a crash of Plex Media Server process when the issue arises and after you collect the logs and the /connections output

If you do have such access, what would be needed is finding the process id (pid) for the plex media server process and then executing this command
    kill -SEGV <pid>
    where <pid> being the PID (Process Id) for the plex media server process

This would then generate a crash report and there will be attempt to upload it to the plex crash reporting system which i can look up once i get the new /connections output and logs

@zluzar said:
    To sa2000,
    regarding the second issue - I noticed, that when initiated playing from last saved position, many times (but not always) the movie just wont start properly - it stucks with blank screen with the circle showing buffering (see the picture). However, when i move a slider to rewind movie forward or back few seconds/minutes (when the movie is stuck on the above mentioned blank buffering screen), it starts playing immediatelly.

So there is some minor problem with the function enabling to continue playing from last saved position. I also created a crash report using the token when it happened, but it shows nothing special.

We should treat this as separate issue - and suggest raising a separate topic with screenshot and Plex Media Server logs

The screenshould should show the time it was taken so the logs can be checked at that time

@sa2000 said:

@zluzar said:
    Hi sa2000,

Thanks for the /connections info and logs

Do you have access to the command line interface on the shield ? Through ADB tool ?
    What i am after is to see if we can force a crash of Plex Media Server process when the issue arises and after you collect the logs and the /connections output

If you do have such access, what would be needed is finding the process id (pid) for the plex media server process and then executing this command
    kill -SEGV <pid>
    where <pid> being the PID (Process Id) for the plex media server process

This would then generate a crash report and there will be attempt to upload it to the plex crash reporting system which i can look up once i get the new /connections output and logs

Hi sa2000. Unfortunatelly i dont have adb and command line interface to shield. I am quite common user, so I dont know how to help you more with this :-(

But i think that it should be reproducible also by other more experienced users since i dont have specific setup (i hope) - i have 16gb shield with connected 128gb external usb3 ssd drive formated as internal memory (for transcoding purposes), and all i did was randomly launching and stopping tv series/movies within web app interface until it crashed the server (it took almost an hour yeasterday, a day before it was several minutes). All it needed was patience and persistence - and the server will crash some time.

Or, if it is not too complicated, i can try your procedure if you will write me step by step manual, what should i do...

Ok, hope you will find and resolve the issue. Btw is there a way to remotedly restart Shield? Without rooting...?Just in case it crashes during vacation...

@sa2000 said:

@zluzar said:
    To sa2000,

We should treat this as separate issue - and suggest raising a separate topic with screenshot and Plex Media Server logs

The screenshould should show the time it was taken so the logs can be checked at that time

I created new question on this, made better screenshot and enclosed logs. Hope it would help. It can be found here: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/279160/infinite-buffering-when-playing-from-last-saved-position/p1?new=1

Accepted Answer

@zluzar said:

I will answer myself - I FOUND ONE SOLUTION! I have logitech harmony control for controlling everything (tv, shield, blueray etc). This think is just amazing, really. For example you can control your staff even when not at home via cloud! So i defined a new activity "restart shield" by which i can force to restart the shield even from other side of the world! Just amazing :smile: