Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Guide for 4k Content in Plex for Xbox One S?

ZipTBMZipTBM Posts: 16Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

From what I've gathered, 4k content must be in mp4 format, H265, and be 10 bit in order to direct play in Plex for Xbox One S (please correct me if this is wrong).

**If you have content in H264, is there a recommended guide for converting to H265 that's compatible with Plex on Xbox One S?

I've looked into a variety of Handbrake builds with special DLLs, but have been unsuccessful in getting that app to convert. It seems like the Windows GUI version crashes for some reason, so the command line method is needed, but it's unclear what specific settings are needed to make the file compatible for this situation in Plex.

Appreciate any guidance and direction that can be provided. It seems like most of what I've found isn't specific enough to this scenario and/or it's ultimately trying to push some other 3rd party apps to take care of the conversion.

Answers

• WiidesireWiidesire Posts: 552Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@ZipTBM said:
    From what I've gathered, 4k content must be in mp4 format, H265, and be 10 bit in order to direct play in Plex for Xbox One S (please correct me if this is wrong).

MKV works as well. Both 8- and 10-bit H.265 works, not only 10bit.

@ZipTBM said:
    **If you have content in H264, is there a recommended guide for converting to H265 that's compatible with Plex on Xbox One S?

It makes no sense to convert already compressed UHD H.264 HDMI captures to UHD H.265. You need to have the original untouched HDMI capture footage and convert to H.265 or directly get a H.265 release.

• ZipTBMZipTBM Posts: 16Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Got it, thank you for the guidance.

I've now confirmed that some of my 4k files play on my Xbox One S as "Direct play", but there are a few that I can't seem to prevent it from attempting to transcode, which reduces the quality to 1080p. It seems like the audio tracks available and selected can impact the video transcode as well. Does this seem right?

e.g. I have an MKV that was encoded with H.265 Main10 and has DTS 5.1, but I can't seem to get the Xbox Plex app to direct play it. Is there anything else I can do to make this work?

Just looking for the best way to optimize my content and make it actually playable on my 4k TV.

@ZipTBM said:
    e.g. I have an MKV that was encoded with H.265 Main10 and has DTS 5.1, but I can't seem to get the Xbox Plex app to direct play it. Is there anything else I can do to make this work?

The Audio needs to be AC3 5.1.
    Explanation why DTS 5.1 causes the video to transcode to 1080p:
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1465845/#Comment_1465845

Ahhh, so the video side of the files are fine, but the audio is causing the issue. Would it be worthwhile to re-encode the files with different audio? I know you said above it doesn't make sense for video, but I wonder if it's worthwhile doing this to allow for seamless playback via Xbox One. Thank you.

Yes, audio is the issue. Subtitles can be as well. Since DTS 5.1 gets transcoded anyway it would make sense to convert the audio tracks to either AAC 5.1 or AC3 5.1 in order to get the UHD content to direct play. Unless you have really premium speakers you won't notice the difference.
    I would mark the converted audio track as the primary audio track and retain the original audio track as a second audio track.
    This way when the Xbox One App gets an update with Dolby Atmos Support (which would include direct play of DTS) you still have the better audio track.

Great.

Any recommendations on the best way to convert audio only on a 4k file?

The built-in Plex optimization tool doesn't currently support 4k, so I've messed around a bit with HandBrake, but haven't yet found a preset that efficiently does what I'm looking to do here. Will keep messing and researching, but it doesn't seem like a bullet-proof method has been found yet. Thanks again.

@Wiidesire - is there a recommended maximum video bitrate matter for h265 encoded files?

I've been trying all sorts of conversions trying to find the magic profile that will work perfectly in this setup (4k h265 with AAC 5.1 on Xbox One S as player), but I'm getting super inconsistent results. Searched a bunch for this as well and feels like I'm going in circles from what I've found.

e.g. I have a file that works with direct play for a few minutes and then at some point will start forcing a transcode. And others that I've converted to lower bitrates and it appears to stay in direct play, but I'm clearly dropping quality in this manner.

Thanks for your help.

• mikeandlouatthezoomikeandlouatthezoo Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@ZipTBM said:
    @Wiidesire - is there a recommended maximum video bitrate matter for h265 encoded files?

I've been trying all sorts of conversions trying to find the magic profile that will work perfectly in this setup (4k h265 with AAC 5.1 on Xbox One S as player), but I'm getting super inconsistent results. Searched a bunch for this as well and feels like I'm going in circles from what I've found.

e.g. I have a file that works with direct play for a few minutes and then at some point will start forcing a transcode. And others that I've converted to lower bitrates and it appears to stay in direct play, but I'm clearly dropping quality in this manner.

Thanks for your help.

I get this issue, it's a real pain and is making it unusable as a solution.

Just seems to be abandoned as a player at the moment.

@terry0208 said:
    Actually, Plex Media Player supports playback of 4K video files using the H.264 (AVC) codec in most containers, so long as your computer is powerful enough to decode it. If your 4K videos can't be played well in Plex, the problem might be your server. Our guess is that your server isn't powerful enough to remux 4k on the fly and therefore it's constantly buffering/lagging. What' more, some other 4K files in MKV, MXF, MPG, etc format won't be supported by Plex natively. An ultimate solution to playing 4K videos from Plex with no buffering is to transcode and compress the 4K videos to Plex most compatible format.

Right, but that contradicts what's listed on this FAQ support page for 4k content on Xbox One.

Which is why it's weird that I was seeing Direct Play for H264 content.

Regardless, what's the "most compatible format" specifically? I would love to just encode all of my content that way with a profile in Handbrake or something so that it always plays correctly via Direct Play.

• talkshowhosttalkshowhost Posts: 7Members ✭✭

so i've got several 4k HDR10 mkv files that play fine in plex. My TV even tells me its an HDR signal.... but the colors look very muted in comparison with the regular 1080p counterpart. i've directly compared a 4k Bluray to the same video as the 4k HDR10 mkv file, and the color is definitely "off."

Here is the file information from PLEX:

Codec HEVC
    Bitrate 72645 kbps
    Language English
    Bit Depth 10
    Chroma Subsampling 4:2:0
    Color Range tv
    Color Space bt2020nc
    Frame Rate 23.976 fps
    Height 2160
    Level 5.1
    Profile main 10

Is there anything here that would clue me in onto why the color is so "off?"

Thanks!

via Email
    I can't answer your direct question, but I can tell you that I've given up on using Plex on Xbox One S for 4k content and replaced it with an Amazon Fire TV running Kodi with the Plex add-in.

In that specific configuration (instead of native Plex app on Fire TV), it plays anything and everything I throw at it. However, I don't have HDR 4k content, which I don't believe it will support, but I could be wrong on that.
  • talkshowhosttalkshowhost Posts: 7Members ✭✭

Thanks for the response. I'm getting to that point myself. Ideally, i'd like the xbox One S to be my one stop shop for everything (games/4K Blurays, Plex, netflix, etc.) but i consistently have problems. i have a wired gigabit connection in my house, so i prefer that to wireless (fast forwarding is soooo much easier with 4k content in plex with gigabit instead of wireless).

• KoolFir3KoolFir3 Posts: 1Members

I have the same issue with my XBox One S, it generally does hell of a job being a one stop media center solution. I have 4k videos which starts transcoding as soon as I start playing them via Plex App (and hence choppy, interrupted playback) however the same video running from same PMS works fine if I use XPlay app on my LG OLED TV. This definitely seems like a problem with Plex app.

I would love to see Plex apps starts supporting wide variety of formats for 4k directplay just as it does for 1080p.

My sample 4k file details:
    Format : Matroska
    Format version : Version 4 / Version 2

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : HEVC
    Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
    Format profile : Main 10@L5@Main
    Codec ID : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
    Bit rate : 6 014 kb/s
    Width : 3 840 pixels
    Height : 1 600 pixels