If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Can't get past Looking for Servers

JumbacoJumbaco Posts: 2Members

I created an account and downloaded the Server and the Media player to my iMac. When opening both I clicked the "I can move myself to the Applications folder" Then when I open the Server, click the Plex Icon in the upper right and Open Plex it takes to a sign in and after signing in I get stuck on the Looking for servers.

I've signed in & out of the media player, the server and the local one and still nothing.

I've been looking around the forums and have seen people mention turning of Firewalls and making sure your Ip is 192... did that. I've seen people mention Home-Libraries-Application Support (nothing in there is plex related) and have seen people mention Home-Library-Preferences and none of the com.apple files mentions plex.

Did I install it wrong? It never took me to the Setup Wizard

I might have DL'd Plex years ago and have heard some users had to delete old Pref files before installing a new one but I can't find anything.

Any help would be appreciated

Answers

• JumbacoJumbaco Posts: 2Members

Even tried Uninstalling Plex where it suggests going to and deleting....

~/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/
    ~/Library/Caches/PlexMediaServer/
    ~/Library/Logs/Plex Media Server/
    ~/Library/Preferences/com.plexapp.plexmediaserver.plist

but theres nothing Plex related in any of those folders

• XanderMosesXanderMoses Posts: 17Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm having the same problem. Did you get yours fixed?

• XanderMosesXanderMoses Posts: 17Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited September 12

OK, so I found the files we couldn't find. We are looking for them in the WRONG place. lol
    You will need to do a little terminal action to find them first though.

Open Terminal and then copy and paste the following into Terminal.

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

Then press enter. Leave terminal open, you will need in again in a bit.

CMD+ALT+ESC

click Finder and Relaunch (don't worry about any open web browsers or apps, they won't be affected.)

Now open up a finder window and follow this path.

Macintosh HD/ Users/ (your user name)/ Library/ Application Support

As you can see, all of the Plex files we have been looking for are right here. :-) Now if only we can figure out what the server issue actually IS. lol

Once you're done make sure you go back into Terminal and paste this to hide the hidden files again.

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles NO