If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Photos on Android message apps auto added to photos?

JoehbeckettJoehbeckett Posts: 4Members ✭✭

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong place. Let me know and I'll repost it correctly.

I set up a photo library on my Plex system which has my collection of family photos, however, odd photos were popping up that I know I wouldn't have included in my photo gallery. There are coming from my Android phone which has the Plex app installed. It is automatically adding all the photos from my messaging apps such as Viber, WhatsApp etc. (NB: I don't have a Plex pass at the moment). I can see how this would be good for the sake of completeness and grabbing every photo that's been sent to to you but is there a way to turn this off? 99% of the photos that get messaged to me are only temporarily useful and I don't want/need them showing up on the TV, to the extent that I've deleted the photo library until I can figure this out.

Any tips would be much appreciated.

Answers

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 16,044Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

I don't think this is due to Plex. Our camera upload feature on Android can only upload from the camera roll. It can't reach into other folders on your device. Also, if you don't have a Plex Pass, this feature wouldn't work for you either. You do have a mystery, but I don't think it's Plex related.

• JoehbeckettJoehbeckett Posts: 4Members ✭✭

Thanks for your answer.

I did try out the Plex Pass for a month, and it seems some features have not properly stopped after I cancelled.

The issue was definitely happening, though. And I can't see how else those photos were appearing there. Google Photos also syncs to my pc and the photos Plex was displaying were not part of that sync. I checked many times as that seemed the most obvious way for them to be appearing.

I have changed mobiles and will reinstall Plex and see if the effect continues to occur.

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 16,044Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Thanks for the follow-up, but I still can't see how the Plex app could have done this. As mentioned before, the app can't see folders outside of the camera roll. You can check this yourself. You don't need a Plex Pass for this part. On your phone, change the server to your local device, then select the camera roll library, then photos. These are the only photos Plex has access to. Do you see the strange photos there? If so, then that means those other apps are saving their photos into your camera roll.