Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Why can't I no longer use remote access?!! Help!!!

jaygreene1jaygreene1 Posts: 16Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited July 9 in macOS/OS X (Mac)

After having remote access available to me for about a year, after a recent server update i can no longer connect remotely to my server. I have looked all over for solutions and possible causes but have found NOTHING! Could someone please help me figure what is going on? The remote access is one of the main reasons i use Plex.

Thanks in advance.

Best Answer

Answers

• cjgarstcjgarst Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am having the exact same issue. Just went to verify everything is working as I'm headed off on a trip and I was shocked to find that remote access is not working.

I am NOT double NATed, I have port forwarding turned on, I have a static IP from my router to my server, I have UPnP turned on, MTU is set at 1500. I have tried everything I can think of and a few things from Google and nothing is working. I believe a recent server update likely killed this for OSX.

I have a smaller instance on a NAS that can be reached indirectly from the outside, but I haven't put any real work into configuring that server (no static IP, no port forwarding... heck, other than flipping the setting on and pointing to some sample media to test it, I have done nothing and it works better than my main server outside of my network).

Any thoughts?

• jaygreene1jaygreene1 Posts: 16Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Are there any Plex personnel/technicians who can be called upon to help resolve these issue(s)?!
    This make me not want to use what was otherwise a very good software application!

• BigWheelBigWheel Posts: 9,819Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

tell us about your network set up. what router do you have?

@cjgarst said:
    I am having the exact same issue. Just went to verify everything is working as I'm headed off on a trip and I was shocked to find that remote access is not working.

I am NOT double NATed, I have port forwarding turned on, I have a static IP from my router to my server, I have UPnP turned on,

if many routers UPnP and manual port forwarding conflict with each other. some have limited number of manual ports you can forward. the server will do one or the other not both. If you have a port in set in the manually specify port field it is only going to go by your manual port forward rules in router. if none it will use the routers UPnP. if you have two servers running at same time both using manual port forwarding then you need a separate rule for both using different external ports

Logs > https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201869908-Log-Files

BigWheel: I have a xfinity router cisco model#: DPC3939B. For some reason i cannot login to the router to check if UPnP is allowed or open a specific port. How can I can attach my logs here for you to look at?

• BigWheelBigWheel Posts: 9,819Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    edited July 10

in the Settigns>Server>Help you can download the logs from your server after it restarts one of the first thigns it should try to do it connect if remote access it enabled. So grab it after a restart or you can grab logs after hitting the remote access enable button. you just drag & drop the log file on the forum text entry field to attach

I don't have an xfinity router but these directions should help manually forward ( which is generally better )
    https://portforward.com/cisco/dpc3939-xfinity/ it shows what might be the default password but if Comcast changed it from default, ISPs usually have it on a sticker on side of router. ( different than wifi password )

In step 4 there is a drop down to select Plex Media Server

( there is absolutely no need to buy anything from that site )

BigWheel; my server log I downloaded is attached in a zip file below. I will try your port forwarding method and let you know how it goes.
    Thanks

• mbromero1mbromero1 Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm not very savy with router settings, but like the users here, the recent update has disabled my remote access. I travel a lot for work and not having this feature is really frustrating. Is this isolated to Mac users?

i'm a mac user running the same version as y'all. there is no general issue with the last update I am aware of. have you rebooted your computer it is on.

@BigWheel said:
    tell us about your network set up. what router do you have?

@cjgarst said:

I am NOT double NATed, I have port forwarding turned on, I have a static IP from my router to my server, I have UPnP turned on,

if many routers UPnP and manual port forwarding conflict with each other. some have limited number of manual ports you can forward. the server will do one or the other not both. If you have a port in set in the manually specify port field it is only going to go by your manual port forward rules in router. if none it will use the routers UPnP. if you have two servers running at same time both using manual port forwarding then you need a separate rule for both using different external ports

I have a D-Link DIR-895, one of the newest routers out. Everything was working perfectly until the last update or so. I understand needing two port forwarding rules. As stated, the NAS server was just an interest, I have no intention of keeping it running. Ironically it is the one I can indirectly connect to (no part forwarding, no special configuration). I can't even hit my main server with port forwarding. For the record, I put the main server in a DMZ and I still can't get it directly or indirectly.

edited July 15

Update -
    I have a direct fiber connection - no modem. My ISP gives me a cat 5 cable to plug directly into my router...

Anyhow,I reviewed the logs. In my Plex server window, it shows my correct public IP address. However, in the logs is shows a different IP address. Strange. I went into my router and noticed it gave my public IP as the one listed in the log. WTH is going on here? After googling turned up nothing, I broke down and chatted with my ISP.

As we all know ISPs are the root of all evil... or stupidity, laziness, or something else bad. It turns out that they are running out of IP addresses and instead of upgrading the network to IPv6, they instituted a CGNAT. I had to google that; it was new to me. Well, that is the source of my problems. It can be resolved for the low, low price of $15 a month for a static IP. But wait, there's more. Since I complained early in the roll out, they will discount my fee to $5 a month if I act now.

Darn people squeezed another $5 a month from me for nothing. And here I thought I got a "free" speed bump from them the other month. That is likely when they instituted the CGNAT.

My advice to others - check for this scenario. The support guy was knowledgeable and friendly. Told me many IPs were doing this right now. It's cheaper and easier than converting to IPv6 and it solves the problem of limited IP addresses in the short term.

Still don't understand why the NAS box with no real configuration at least works with indirect mode and the main server is completely crippled. Is there a way Plex can fix CGNAT issues with software?

ugh that sux.

BigWheel: Ok, so i port forwarded my router and that solved the remote access issue! One day later, my server (which is on a mac desktop) does NOT show up now when Plex is launched!! What the hell is going on?!!