If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

S8 no longer visible as a server since latest android update

Billbrown1982Billbrown1982 Posts: 18Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Anyone else found this? I always use my phone as a mobile server and now I can't - so frustrating!

Best Answer

Answers

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 16,033Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

What client are you using? There was a change on how the mobile server worked that caused issues on certain clients so those clients were actually changed to no longer support seeing the mobile server.

You should still be able to cast from your mobile device to those clients as a work-around.

• Billbrown1982Billbrown1982 Posts: 18Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hey MovieFan - so happy to see you reply!

I use Amazon fire tv sticks - was this one of the affected devices?

If so, are there any plans to bring back support?? I realise I am probably in the minority here but I am a long distance truck driver and I connect the stick to my phone's mobile hotspot. But as I understand it casting to the stick uses my data? Whereas accesing it as a server doesn't.

Either way I particularly bought the Amazon sticks because they were one of the few devices that could access the phone as a server while connected to its hotspot.

Fingers x for good news here!

Dang. Ok well thanks for letting me know at least! Guess casting it is for now

edited September 11

Hey MovieFan - hoping I can get you back into this topic as there has been an update.

Got the new UI update on my fire stick last week. Just as a long shot I checked the server list and boom there was my phone! Started playing media from it immediately no problems.

However, don't know if there was a stealth nerf overnight or something because since the next day, anything I try to play comes up with "Your server is not capable of converting this item for playback at the current quality settings. Would you like to attempt to play the original quality?"

If i say yes, I just get a blank screen. Frustratingly this is doing the same thing if I try to cast now too - which was our previous workaround

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 16,033Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

When using your phone as a server, it can't transcode. I'm guessing you have the automatic quality setting enabled. This will not work with the phone server. Turn that feature off, i.e. set the quality back to maximum and see if that helps.

via Email
    Hiya, blimey quick response there - thanks!

Well that was my first thought too but it's not even enabled. And all the
    settings are either at maximum or original ??

Also, when it says do you want to try playing it at original quality and i
    say yes - it shouldn't be trying to transcode anyway??

I'm guessing the server working again was an unintentional side effect of
    the latest update rather than intentionally bringing the functionality
    back?