If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

My plex server is not public anymore...why?

edwardc4edwardc4 Posts: 6Members ✭✭

Hey team,

Long time plex user here. Kind of embarrassing since i work on networking for a career but last week my plex server suddenly cant be seen from the outside. Ive got a class D address from my ISP and non static which is fine. Ive setup my home network to give the server a static ip of 192.168.1.141 using DHCP reservation. Ive also port forwarded 32400 since its defaulted. I still can not get to my own server suddenly from the outside. I put up a dumb switch on that network just to confirm and it works suddenly. Anyone know why a cisco n900 (ea4500) router would be hindering plex suddenly.

Ive not called the isp yet either to see if they can block applications via ports or mac addresses to the devices yet.
Any help appreciated.

I've also bridged the connection between my modem and router and that did not solve it.

Anyone seen this or have any help on how to solve this?

Answers

• bbubulkabbubulka Posts: 93Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Are you referring to logging into PLEX account outside your network and clicking the "Launch" button to take you to your server? Also, are you doing anything crazy with your firewall regarding rules? Blocking outgoing calls?

I'm a network geek myself and have I have EVERYTHING blocked going outside my network (LAN to WAN) minus some key ports (PLEX being one of them). I also use MANY rules inbound and outbound.

Things to recheck (not trying to insult your intelligence :( )

• Is the static IP on your local LAN still correct? Could it have changed? Does the IP address on the server match what the router thinks it should be?
    • Are you blocking TCP 32400 from leaving your network?
    • Did you recently upgrade your router? I've had issues with firmware upgrades in the past on my router which resulted in similar issues.
    • Did you validate "remote access" is still turned on in the PLEX server settings?
    • Have you tried turning the setting off than back on again with the PLEX settings? I heard others having issues but that seemed to fix some of them.

I doubt its your ISP if you tried removing your router from the equation and it worked. Let me know what you find out. Good Luck!!!

PLEX Setup:
    Server Side: Dell R410 (16 Core | 16GB RAM) / Ubuntu Desktop 16.04.01 64bit / Synology RS812 & RS814 (9TB @ RAID 5)
    Client Side: Roku 4 (x4)

Please remember to mark the appropriate answer(s) which solved your issue.

• edwardc4edwardc4 Posts: 6Members ✭✭

Is the static IP on your local LAN still correct? Could it have changed? Does the IP address on the server match what the router thinks it should be?
    Yeah. Gave ita DHCP reservation based on MAC so it will never change. it's always 192.168.1.141.

Are you blocking TCP 32400 from leaving your network?
    No, port forwarded it.

Did you recently upgrade your router? I've had issues with firmware upgrades in the past on my router which resulted in similar issues.
    Did you validate "remote access" is still turned on in the PLEX server settings?
    Yes, toggled it off and on a few times.

Have you tried turning the setting off than back on again with the PLEX settings? I heard others having issues but that seemed to fix some of them.
    Yes.

I doubt its your ISP if you tried removing your router from the equation and it worked. Let me know what you find out. Good Luck!!!
    Honestly, since it just happened when I was out of town one weekend I'm going to reach out to the ISP next. Perhaps they tweaked something that blocked that port. I'm out of options so i'll speak to a network engineer on their end.

So with port forwarding, that's inbound traffic from WAN to LAN. Are you allowing traffic from TCP 32400 to leave your LAN? I have many "port forward" rules set up but i can also block outbound as well. Just making sure were on the same sheet of music :)

Good luck with the ISP. Thats like moving mountains to get straight answers from them.

PLEX Setup:
    Server Side: Dell R410 (16 Core | 16GB RAM) / Ubuntu Desktop 16.04.01 64bit / Synology RS812 & RS814 (9TB @ RAID 5)

• Method007Method007 Posts: 1Members

Exact same boat. Plex suddenly stopped working remotely on 7/10. I own the modem and the router. It's setup perfectly using 32400 as the port. Nothing was altered at all - it just stopped working. There is some sort of plex side issue stopping the server from being reached.

Are you both using default settings for Remote Access? Under Advanced (Remote Access), did you try checking "Manually specify public port" using the same port 32400?

PLEX Setup:

@Method007 I sure hope so. I've had a busy week at work so i've not gotten ahold of my ISP. I need to go from modem -> pc directly to 100% confirm it's router or not. I know I do have to bridge the modem and router on that network but like you mentioned...it was working fine, then just stopped.

so heads up, it appears it was my ISP!

https://help.comporium.com/cgnat-transition-faq/

Previously, every Comporium connection to the internet has been assigned its own publicly-facing (WAN) IPv4 address for access. With the growth of the internet, IPv4 address space has been depleted, and Comporium is unable to acquire more of these addresses. To continue providing service, Comporium will be employing a Carrier Grade Network Address Translation (CGNAT) solution to allow customers to connect to the internet using a ‘private’ Comporium IP address instead of a specific public address.

The tech support person was 99% sure this was why it was suddenly not working as she said some users have gaming problems as well. I'm purchasing a static IP address for the house, yeah...i didn't have one, to resolve this issue.

The issue of my plex server not working is still not answered though until they come out and resolve this.

So if you have ISP Comporium in upstate (charlotte) South Carolina, this might be the reason. I will update this once I have my static IP address to confirm the issue was solved.

I just want to confirm now that i've assigned a static IP my plex server is now back to 100%. Thanks for all the help and be sure to reach out to your ISP for help.

• AshTray900AshTray900 Posts: 146Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited July 17

happened to me, what I did was set the port manually to 32401 on main server and 32402 on second one, don't worry inside your network all PMS's are seen as 32400, then went to my router, reserved ips for both, set port forwarding for server a ip x.x.x.x , external 32401 - internal 32400, server b same but 32402 - 32400 server b ip.

not sure why but random ip generation stopped working right, its important to remember when you manually set the port in PMS, you aren't actually changing a port on your pc, but just the port PMS should look for it outside your network hence having to forward 199.168.1.x incoming 32401 to internal 32400 port.

make sure to reboot everything, including router, after this both get green check immediately no issues.

my ips were always reserved on my servers, for some reason my issue is the port would always try to default to 0, a little tinkering and it would grab a port but after a reboot it was gone again, figured it put a nail in the coffin of plex handling finding me a port and the routers service to open it up when needed via upnp and just go static everywhere. I did not need a static ip from my ISP for this to work

• AshTray900AshTray900 Posts: 146Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited July 17

Also double NAT is a pain if you switched to a provider that refuses to give you a modem only, or let your router handle VLAN like Cspire fiber. if you run into this you need to go to the parent router, youll probably notice your internal network ips changed, double nat will use 192.168.1 on one device and 10.0.0 on the other by default, log into your router, look at its ip its getting from the parent router and note the mac of your router. use the ip of parent router to access it credentials are usually "admin" "admin" reserve your routers mac to an ip of the parent router, then set that router to be a dummy and pass through everything to the ip of your router, two ways, port forward everything, or there is another option, I forgot what its called but basically tell parent router to turn off all functions and go straight to your ip of your router, this is what I did. I also changed the password to prevent Cspire from making any changes hehe

this will work for internet only setups, but if you use the provider for tv options I would be careful messing with their router.

I got this huge surprise from a Comcast to Cspire switch

I know you got yours operational but this may help anyone who is having trouble getting outside connectivity, lock it down do it your way and it works like a charm.