If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Running out of storage. Can I use two portable hard drives and assign the same drive letter?

UnicornWasherUnicornWasher Posts: 63Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Greetings! I have a seagate 8TB portable hard drive. With tons of tv, some music, and 1300 movies, I am running out of storage. Can I buy a second 8tb hard drive and just assign the same letter? Or, if I choose to name it another drive letter, can Plex recognize two different hard drives? Thanks in advance. :)

Primary PMS: Nividia Shield Pro
Media Storage: Plex: (4) Seagate Expansion 8TB Desktop External Hard Drive; 3.0 USB
Desktop Clients: Windows web app (wired), Chromecast Ultra (wired), Chromecast 2nd gen (wired), Fire TV Ultra (wireless)
Mobile Clients: Moto X, 2nd gen
Remote Users: 3

Tagged:

Best Answers

• ChuckPAChuckPA Posts: 20,033Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member
    Accepted Answer

I am saying:

1. After you add the next drive (E:\)
    2. Create a Movies directory on it (or whatever you need)
    3. Edit the appropriate Library section and tell PMS to look in E:\Movies too for movies
    4. You can move stuff OFF D:\Movies and over to E:\Movies

PMS won't care. Just remember to Update Libraries after you've done everything and it hasn't been following along (Automatically update my library as changes are detected in Settings - Server - Library)

Please DISABLE Verbose logging until requested

Please search before posting

Primary support forums: Linux, Synology, and QNAP

Please remember to report back. This benefits others.

Useful links

Installation and Basic Setup |  Media Preparation (How to name your media files)  |  Linux Permissions 

Handling TV Specials | Handling Movie extras  |  Nas Compatibility List

Reporting Plex Server issues | Plex Media Server FAQ | Linux Tips

Other useful guides: Local Subtitles | The Plex "dance" | Synology FAQ | PMS Release Announcements

Hosts: Fedora, QNAP, Synology, most Linux distros in VM

No technical support via PM unless offered

Please remember to mark the appropriate answer(s) which solved your issue.

• spikemixturespikemixture Posts: 1,470Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited July 2017 Accepted Answer

You just plug in the NEW drive give it a letter then goto Plex as you did originally and add the new drive.

So now in Plex you will have it pointing to e.g. d:\movies AND E:\movies ?

does that make sense?

Plex related : NAS Synology 1817+ & 1815+, 3x NUC (Skull i7, i5 & i3), Drobo 5N and 2 Nvidia Shield Pros (2017 and 2015)
    Client hardware used or using - Shield 2015 (pro and 16gb) and 2017 pro, ATV4, Xbox 360 and one, Fire stick and TV, windows PMP, Raspberry PI, Roku Stick, 3 and 4 plus several Android Phones and Tablets.

I give MY opinion from MY experience!

So much importance is put on the processing power of your PMS box.
    I say equal or more should be put on correctly formatting and optimizing your media !

Answers

• ChuckPAChuckPA Posts: 20,033Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

Plex doesn't care where the media is stored. When you create the library, you tell it where to look. If you add another storage location, add that to a Library section, move media from one drive to another, PMS won't care.

The full procedure is here. https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201154537-Move-Media-Content-to-a-New-Location

Useful links

Installation and Basic Setup |  Media Preparation (How to name your media files)  |  Linux Permissions 

Other useful guides: Local Subtitles | The Plex "dance" | Synology FAQ | PMS Release Announcements

• UnicornWasherUnicornWasher Posts: 63Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Goodness, Chuck. Thank you for such a fast reply. :) :) I probably did not explain my issue correctly. ( I do understand the instructions you gave and I have followed them when I previously upgraded my portable hard drive to increase its size.) My issue is that I want to have TWO different hard drives at the same time... each at 8TB. I have nearly filled up one 8TB hard drive and I want to keep that media on my first hard drive and ADD ANOTHER 8TB hard drive.... so that I have a total of 16TB, not 8TB. I don't want to replace one 8TB hard drive with another 8TB hard drive.

I would like to use TWO different 8TB hard drives for a total of 16TB for my server. (The reason for two is that I already have one 8TB hard drive and to add another, that would costs under $200. To buy a single hard drive with 16TB would set me back a whopping $500.)

So, can I have TWO hard drives that share a drive letter? I know it is physically possible, but will PLEX handle that? If I have TWO hard drives each with a different drive letter, will Plex even allow me to do that?

Is there a solution other than having to spend $500??

Thanks again. ;)

Media Storage: Plex: (4) Seagate Expansion 8TB Desktop External Hard Drive; 3.0 USB
    Desktop Clients: Windows web app (wired), Chromecast Ultra (wired), Chromecast 2nd gen (wired), Fire TV Ultra (wireless)

edited July 2017

Ah, then I misunderstood your question. You want to know if you can upgrade the internal storage HDs .
    As I understand Windows. You install the new HD, format it and assign a drive letter.

As example,

D:\Movies   (the original)
    E:\Movies   (the newly created one with a `Movies` directory you just created)

All you need do is Edit your Movies Library section and Add folders. When you Browse for Folders, add E:\Movies to the list. Save the changes
    It's that painless. PMS will do the rest of the scanning automatically. To PMS, it's a list of media sources. :)

Now, you can move things around from D -> E.

Is this what you want to do?

Useful links

edited July 2017

LOL, Chuck. It is me, not you. I "think" understand your answer though... so I am getting closer at being able to articulate myself ;).

1) I want to keep all media I have on D:/. I do not want add anything more to D:/ (because I have run out of room! ;))

2) I then want to add ANOTHER hard drive so that I have more room to add more media. 

Are you saying I can keep all current my media on D:/, then add a folder to my library on D:/ and assign E:/ to that folder?

So, library is assigned to D:/ and then within that library is a new folder that I can assign to my new E:/ drive??

Thank you for your patience. :)

Moderator Edit: "Code" paragraph formatting fixes many evils >:)

drat! All those frowny faces are D drive.

Accepted Answer

I am saying:

1. After you add the next drive (E:\)
    2. Create a Movies directory on it (or whatever you need)
    3. Edit the appropriate Library section and tell PMS to look in E:\Movies too for movies
    4. You can move stuff OFF D:\Movies and over to E:\Movies

PMS won't care. Just remember to Update Libraries after you've done everything and it hasn't been following along (Automatically update my library as changes are detected in Settings - Server - Library)

Useful links

Thank you, Chuck. I appreciate all your help. I think I understand what you are saying. I will play around with that a bit later to see if it will work for my needs. :)

edited July 2017 Accepted Answer

You just plug in the NEW drive give it a letter then goto Plex as you did originally and add the new drive.

So now in Plex you will have it pointing to e.g. d:\movies AND E:\movies ?

does that make sense?

Plex related : NAS Synology 1817+ & 1815+, 3x NUC (Skull i7, i5 & i3), Drobo 5N and 2 Nvidia Shield Pros (2017 and 2015)
    Client hardware used or using - Shield 2015 (pro and 16gb) and 2017 pro, ATV4, Xbox 360 and one, Fire stick and TV, windows PMP, Raspberry PI, Roku Stick, 3 and 4 plus several Android Phones and Tablets.

I say equal or more should be put on correctly formatting and optimizing your media !

YESSSS!!! Thank you, Chuck and spikemixture. I tested out what you both wrote and it works. Thank you for saving me $$$. :)

• tshaftoe83tshaftoe83 Posts: 1Members

Do you need the drives to be cloud drives? I have one Seagate cloud drive which runs plex amazingly well. I'm looking at getting a second and splitting my library. Just wondering if it matters what kind of second network drive I get. Thanks

@tshaftoe83 said:
    Do you need the drives to be cloud drives? I have one Seagate cloud drive which runs plex amazingly well. I'm looking at getting a second and splitting my library. Just wondering if it matters what kind of second network drive I get. Thanks

In short no it does not matter.