Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Is PMS ready for primetime on Shield?

dereklandedereklande Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi,

I'm running PMS on a small PC at the moment and very happy with how its working. Thinking of buying a shield pro though as I'd love to be able to consolidate and have less boxes running.

is PMS on shield as reliable as on windows yet? Are many people using it as their primary box?

Derek

Answers

• kentemplinkentemplin Posts: 16Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

In my experience it works great. I use PMS on Nvidia Shield to Roku, Chromecast, and IOS without issue. Files encoded with VC-1 need to be optimized or transcoded to h.264 for smooth playback, NAS storage has a file per folder limit, and I recommend using a static IP for your Shield. Other than those issues I've experienced none of the other issues I've seen posted on this forum.

• Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Posts: 4,316Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited July 11

I have zero problems using Plex server on my 500g Shield. However I do have to qualify that a bit:
    I am the only user except for the times my granddaughters visit.
    I have no remote users at all.
    I do not use the channels that have to be manually installed. You cannot manually install a channel on the Shield.
    I do not use audio at all on my Plex system so I have no idea if that works well.
    If you use index files,as I do only for movies, it takes a VERY long time for them to generate.
    Ever so often I see little inexplicable glitches of various kind that seem to be related to using the Shield but those are impossible to replicate and do not impact over all operation.

I have switched my Plex usage 100% over to the Shield and have been running without problem for going on three weeks. I still have my ild PC based server available BUT I do no have Plex active on that PC except for a few hours each week to allow it to catch up with the metadata and get any needed updates.

So I think that the Shield is ready to be a primary server in a lot of, maybe even most, cases but someone else will have to chime in on heavy use situations.

Edit to add: My storage is NOT directly attached to the Shield. I have about 30tb of USB drives attached to a PC pooled with DrivePool and shared on my network. The ability to correctly and fully access networked storage was added/fixed a few weeks ago and that plus some stability improvements are what made the Shield a viable server for me.

I no longer support Plex because of their moves away from customer responsiveness But I am continuing to use it until my move to Emby is complete. (A few weeks down the line)
    Emby is NOT better software but they are a better company at this point.

• KarlDagKarlDag Posts: 1,730Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Elijah_Baley said:
    I have zero problems using Plex server on my 500g Shield. However I do have to qualify that a bit:
    I am the only user except for the times my granddaughters visit.
    I have no remote users at all.
    I do not use the channels that have to be manually installed. You cannot manually install a channel on the Shield.
    I do not use audio at all on my Plex system so I have no idea if that works well.
    If you use index files,as I do only for movies, it takes a VERY long time for them to generate.
    Ever so often I see little inexplicable glitches of various kind that seem to be related to using the Shield but those are impossible to replicate and do not impact over all operation.

I have switched my Plex usage 100% over to the Shield and have been running without problem for going on three weeks. I still have my ild PC based server available BUT I do no have Plex active on that PC except for a few hours each week to allow it to catch up with the metadata and get any needed updates.

So I think that the Shield is ready to be a primary server in a lot of, maybe even most, cases but someone else will have to chime in on heavy use situations.

Edit to add: My storage is NOT directly attached to the Shield. I have about 30tb of USB drives attached to a PC pooled with DrivePool and shared on my network. The ability to correctly and fully access networked storage was added/fixed a few weeks ago and that plus some stability improvements are what made the Shield a viable server for me.

I'm happy to see that you've changed your mind about the Shield, I think it works nicely. That said, why did you decide to move your setup from your PC to the Shield? Energy costs?

• Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Posts: 4,316Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@KarlDag said:

I'm happy to see that you've changed your mind about the Shield, I think it works nicely. That said, why did you decide to move your setup from your PC to the Shield? Energy costs?

Not really energy as my storage resides on a PC and that PC is the one that ran my server but it does draw a bit less energy just serving files than it did acting as a Plex server.

The main reason is speed. For some reason access on my PC became slow and my Shield is quick, I would optimize my database and the speed would improve for a day or two and then it would slow back down. It was usable just slow. I probably could have fixed the problem but there just is not any incentive to do so.

I "think" I will, in a few days delete my library off the PC and start it over again. Something must have become corrupted and now I can take the time to fix it and then really compare my two setups. I am fairly sure that the Shield will be the one I continue to use just because of simplicity if for no other reason.

I no longer support Plex because of their moves away from customer responsiveness But I am continuing to use it until my move to Emby is complete. (A few weeks down the line)
    Emby is NOT better software but they are a better company at this point.