If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

RASPLEX- Request for Help w/ Hotspot w/o dhcp and VPN on external network only

aarondvailaarondvail Posts: 4Members ✭✭

I'd like to enable the Wifi hotspot but would like to disable the DHCP for it. I would like for it to pass the DHCP requests to my network (or over VPN when on the road) and I'd like to set up the VPN to only connect when NOT on my network....

The idea is that my RasPlex would go with my on the road to hotels and such, and extend my network to the hotel room... but when the RasPlex is home the VPN doesn't connect as it's already on the network. I'm familiar enough with Debian I could make it work, but LibreELEC, no so much. and I'm not sure which packages are installed and where, i.e. hostapd, dhcpd, and openvpn....

Any help or comments (not counting flaming ones) would be greatly appreciated.

Best Answer

Answers

• aarondvailaarondvail Posts: 4Members ✭✭

So.... I did some investigation, and the answer pointed me in the right direction... While i was hoping it was done through a combination of hostapd, dhcpd, and dnsmasq. Its all managed by connman (access point is done through tethering mode) and connman manages the vpn connection too.... the disadvantage to breaking the RasPlex image has multiple impacts, 1> the GUI on the TV may or may not work (probably not). 2> Updating the RasPlex will mean I have to break it again.... And from what I'm seeing in ConnMan searchs on the internet.... I can't change the tethermode dhcp settings

• videotecaCNSUvideotecaCNSU Posts: 316Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

What I dont understand its what you are trying to do, I dont know any hotel that offers wired connections to justify using rasplex as an AP

Plus you can always dual boot to raspbian or change the sd to justify the rest

• aarondvailaarondvail Posts: 4Members ✭✭

For hotels, Hyatt, Hilton and some IHG hotels do, as well as a number of resorts...

there are a number of articles out there about using Raspian, Hostapd, and OpenVPN to extend your home network to Hotels, Coffee Shops, and the like... and When i travel it's usually with multiple devices (2 iPhones, 2 iPads, and 3 laptops). the configuration in the articles allows me to set one device between all my stuff and the Hotel (as an example) meaning all my stuff just needs to be configured for one access point.and no need to add a new one for every hotel I go to.

When I saw RasPlex could do a lot of the things i was looking for AND i could stream my Plex through it, I figured why not investigate whether or not it would work for what I am looking for. Hence the initial question. But...

But it's looking like I may need to either forget the whole idea of RasPlex, and go with my Raspian, Hostapd, and OpenVPN config and maybe throw Kodi over it or get another ChromCast for the road... or try so smash OpenPHT into it... but connman has to many limitations to do what I'm wanting.