If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Can't connect via Web App remotely anymore

duece7duece7 Posts: 52Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited July 12 in NVIDIA SHIELD

Hello everyone,

Several weeks ago I was able to pull up a web browser and log into Plex.tv and then launch the web app and my Shield server would pop up. For the last several weeks it says my server is unavailable. I have not changed anything on my network and I've tried rebooting the shield and my router as others have mentioned and still won't connect. Did something change in a recent update that does not allow me to connect via web app anymore or something I need to update?

Oh let me add, the web app works fine when I'm on the local network at home.

Best Answer

• duece7duece7 Posts: 52Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Accepted Answer

Problem identified but still puzzled. My ISP is what is known as a WISP (Wireless Internet Service Provider) and most WISP's set their network up by giving you a static internal IP address. They require you get one of their modems (which are junk) and add $25 to your monthly bill to receive a public IP address. So this all makes as to why I cannot access my home network from the outside world but what puzzles me still is that I used to be able access my plex server from outside my network a month or so ago. So what changed hmmm? Problem not solved but I will mark this as answered because I don't believe there is much I can do without spending more money.

Answers

• rouqrouq Posts: 322Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Do you use UPnP to open a port on your router or you did it manually?

If you used UPnP, I would higly suggest to setup a port forwarding manually in your router and set this port number in plex server. This is the way I did and I don't have problems with remote access on the latest PMS shield release.

My router uses UPnP to open a port but I did some poking around and it looks like my "brick" as my ISP calls it is also acting as a router. I never looked at this more closely because it's always worked and I haven't changed anything. My public IP address is very different than the one assigned to my Linksys router creating a double NAT I believe. I've read this can create and issue but my question is why hasn't it before?

I can manually forward the port on my Linksys router but will that help if my "brick" (literally the size of a laptop power supply with a network jack leading to the satellite dish pointing to a cell phone like tower about a half a mile away, and one network jack going to my router ) is acting as a router as well that I don't have access to. When I go to the IP address of the "brick" I get a login page for a mikrotik router. My ISP won't give me the password. I can put my Linksys router in bridge mode but I would prefer not to lose the security and other features of the router. I forgot to ask but I doubt they will put their router in bridge mode for me or if it even makes sense to.

edited July 13

If you want to make sure you are in a double nat situation, first:
    1. Go on the https://www.whatismyip.com/ and note the ip address displayed.
    2. Go on your linksys router and look at the WAN status and find the WAN ip address. If those 2 addresses don't match, then you have a double nat situation.

If you are in double nat situation you need to remove one NAT in the equation. Why it worked before? I don't know. That kind of strange it worked.

see this article about plex and double nat:
    https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200931138-Troubleshooting-Remote-Access

@rouq said:
    If you want to make sure you are in a double nat situation, first:
    1. Go on the https://www.whatismyip.com/ on note the ip address displayed.
    2. Go on your linksys router and look at the WAN status and find the WAN ip address. If those 2 addresses don't match, then you have a double nat situation.

If you are in double nat situation you need to remove one NAT in the equation. Why it worked before? I don't know. That kind of strange it worked.

see this article about plex and double nat:
    https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200931138-Troubleshooting-Remote-Access

Ok I will check this when I get home. I know my router IP address is different but I did not look for or confirm the WAN ip address. If I am in Double NAT and my ISP does have a router (I'm assuming cloud based or is it possible that brick is acting as a router?) is it safe then to just put my router in bridge mode?

Setting up VPN access on my router, would that solve anything or just make it even messier?

edited July 13

If your ISP device is a router/NAT and assuming that you can pull more than 1 ip addresses from it (each device on your network need an ip address), then yes, you could put your linksys router in bridge mode by disabling the DHCP server and instead of connecting the ISP device on the linksys WAN interface, you connect it on the lan switch.

However, if you do not have access to the management interface of the ISP device, then you won't be able to manually forward a port, you won't be able to set DHCP reservations, etc. Also, if UPnP protocol is deactivated (for security reason) on the ISP router, then the remote access won't work.

Hmmm this makes me wonder if this is how they have it set up then. I think if you need to access your network from the outside world they will charge me for it. This is directly from their website, "Remote camera Viewing or Smart Home applications will require additional Equipment & Public IP access.".

Confirmed that my public IP address from WhatsMyIPAddress is different than the one on my Linksys router under WAN/Internet Address. My public IP address starts with 50.xx and my Internet address on my router starts with 10.xx. I called my ISP and of course if I want to be able to access my network from outside my home they want to charge me to set up a public IP address to do so. Such a rip off but that's ok. They are just trying to rip people off before they go out of business. Our power company is in the process of installing Gigabit internet to all of their customers and everyone should have it in the next 2-3 years.

Sounds like I'm dead in the water, just confusing why a month or so ago and for at least the past 6-8 months it's worked.

Accepted Answer

Problem identified but still puzzled. My ISP is what is known as a WISP (Wireless Internet Service Provider) and most WISP's set their network up by giving you a static internal IP address. They require you get one of their modems (which are junk) and add $25 to your monthly bill to receive a public IP address. So this all makes as to why I cannot access my home network from the outside world but what puzzles me still is that I used to be able access my plex server from outside my network a month or so ago. So what changed hmmm? Problem not solved but I will mark this as answered because I don't believe there is much I can do without spending more money.