Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Kickstarter for Plex Media Player?

gambloregamblore Posts: 119Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@gamblore said:
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to drop in and say that we all need to ratchet back our negativity about this new release.

I understand that you're all angry because this release wasn't what you were hoping for, and are scared that Plex is changing away from your tastes/needs for good. I know I am. I have many many issues with the new PMP. We all love PHT, but there is something that I think a lot of us are failing to grasp in the heat of the moment.

The Plex team has put in an absolutely tremendous amount of work to detach Plex from the Kodi base that was weighing them down. A fantastic achievement that will be very fruitful indeed in the months, and years to come. PHT based on Kodi was a dead end for the Plex team. I'm sure that the more they developed on top of it, the closer it came to being unsustainable to maintain.

Now the Plex team are free to fix issues and add features without all that burden. If you stop and think about this for a moment, you will realize that this is fantastic news. Much better news than I was hoping for.

Plex Media Player is clearly a sapling with an incredibly stronger foundation. At the moment we can't seem to see the forest for the trees. Features will be added back in, changes will be made. But now, things will move much faster for all platforms. Also, it's great that PHT will remain for those of us who will use it until critical features are added back. I see no downside as long as the Plex team are listening to feedback. They seem to be very dedicated to pleasing their users.

Please for all our sakes, be polite to the devs. They clearly work very hard and love what they do. I know from experience that rude hyperbolic negativity is not helping anyone, and can be a significant drag on motivation for developers.

We all need to take a deep breath, provide clear feedback with respect, and enjoy the PHT we all love until we get the features we want in PMP. Thank you so much to the Plex team for their dedication to their craft.

Thank you for reading. :)

I optimistically, and benefit-of-the-doubt-edly wrote this post almost 2 years ago. Dear lord was I wrong. I'm not going to speculate about what exactly went horribly wrong at Plex. Let's focus on finding solutions.

At this point what can be done for Plex to deliver on PMP?

  1. Start a Kickstarter for PMP. Politely ask the top people at Plex how much money they would require in order for them to take their desktop-platform app seriously. Raise enough to cover the amount they need, and then they get going on it.
  2. Can we create a new tier for PlexPass? Maybe double or triple the cost with the sole added benefit of Plex making PMP a priority, and having access to PMP.

This is basic economics at work. If PMP really is a niche product, Plex must charge far more for it than their other products. Their refusal to do this so far has necessarily led to them all but abandoning it. Maybe progress is still being made, but obviously at the pace of a napping snail.

I could be alone in this sentiment, but I would be willing to pay much much more money for a first class, maintained, flagship desktop Plex app.

I ask only that you please shut up, and take my money.

Answers

  • Xen0sysXen0sys Posts: 555Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    Definitely needs more features to make it break even. My understanding was that the Plex for Kodi addon was a template for a new UX style that was going to be ported to PMP (the native app).

    If that isn't going to be the case (or some similar overhaul), this definitely needs some serious attention... Has @Plex confirmed this anywhere?

  • dragonmeldragonmel Posts: 598Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited July 13

    @gamblore

    You must work in government as that is the only sector I have ever worked in where someone who has already paid for a good or service would even think of adding more money to somehow get fixed something that should have been delivered a long time ago

    No amount of money is going to un do the bad leadership decions that lead them down this path

    Their employees are scattered all over the world and clearly they have had configuration management, planning, strategic focus, roadmap, and a host of other challenges that the company has failed to meet.

    I thing some high level individuals need to loose their jobs and be replaced with actual software engineers that can bring this mess to heel.

    Plex needs to get back on focus for the big screen folks that started this project long ago.

    Plex left the living room 4 years ago and thank God openPHT has been there as a steadfast rock supporting a player that still works and works well across more platforms playing more codecs than their paid for competition.

    You want to throw money arround throw some at them, they meet their deadlines and their code actually works.

  • dragonmeldragonmel Posts: 598Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @Xen0sys

    I think that plex on kodi was a way to get plex onto a playback engine that unlike PMP actually works well.

  • gambloregamblore Posts: 119Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited July 13

    @dragonmel said:
    @gamblore

    You must work in government as that is the only sector I have ever worked in where someone who has already paid for a good or service would even think of adding more money to somehow get fixed something that should have been delivered a long time ago

    No amount of money is going to un do the bad leadership decions that lead them down this path

    Their employees are scattered all over the world and clearly they have had configuration management, planning, strategic focus, roadmap, and a host of other challenges that the company has failed to meet.

    I thing some high level individuals need to loose their jobs and be replaced with actual software engineers that can bring this mess to heel.

    Plex needs to get back on focus for the big screen folks that started this project long ago.

    Plex left the living room 4 years ago and thank God openPHT has been there as a steadfast rock supporting a player that still works and works well across more platforms playing more codecs than their paid for competition.

    You want to throw money arround throw some at the, they need their deadlines and their code actually works.

    No government work here mate. You are projecting.

    I just understand basic economics. PMP seems to be a niche product. Therefore it is going to cost extra in order to be properly maintained, and advanced. Economies of scale, look it up. Not a government concept. Whining about something without offering to help solve what's causing it is a waste of time.

    If it is a niche product, they need to charge extra for it, otherwise I'm afraid they will never make it a priority again. I'm willing to pay a lot extra for something that I believe otherwise won't exist.

  • dragonmeldragonmel Posts: 598Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @gamblore

    Niche product. Like everyone and I mean everyone here on plex doesn't have a tv?

    PHT is what we all started with here hooked to our tv's because 20 dollar Chicom steaming box crap doesn't cut it on a 70" screen and 8 channel audio.

    To get back to using plex on anything but an iphone Plex needs a fresh start at its home theater PMP offering. Continuing to pound this half baked half web app crap as a serious front end for moviephiles is a farce.

  • gambloregamblore Posts: 119Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited July 13

    @dragonmel said:
    @gamblore

    Niche product. Like everyone and I mean everyone here on plex doesn't have a tv?

    PHT is what we all started with here hooked to our tv's because 20 dollar Chicom steaming box crap doesn't cut it on a 70" screen and 8 channel audio.

    To get back to using plex on anything but an iphone Plex needs a fresh start at its home theater PMP offering. Continuing to pound this half baked half web app crap as a serious front end for moviephiles is a farce.

    Come on man, everyone with a TV here does not have computer hooked up to it running a desktop OS capable of running PMP. Rokus, Apple TVs etc. are what most people use to consume Plex. Acting as if everyone with a "TV" can run PMP is not helpful, and is a farce.

  • dragonmeldragonmel Posts: 598Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    Rokus and appletv suck for many reasons in a quality setup. Both severely limited on direct play codec support so full quality media needs transcoding which brings down quality.

    Yes

    Plex needs a front end capable of running on full power hardware for serious home theater use.. period

  • dragonmeldragonmel Posts: 598Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @gamblore

    I think your attempts at shilling for more cash will be about as well received as a lead fart in church or your original post on how great PMP is and how it was going to save us all

  • Xen0sysXen0sys Posts: 555Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    I think @gamlore is going more for a 'come on Plex - what's it going to take to get you to actually design the product right' kind of outreach.

    And almost certainly it will probably never reach Plex's ears as their community presence is abysmal.

    You/we all want the same thing here: PMP designed better with the features it should have been getting since release.

    Actually starting a petition or some kind of fund will at least maybe draw some attention from Plex.

  • gambloregamblore Posts: 119Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @dragonmel said:
    Rokus and appletv suck for many reasons in a quality setup. Both severely limited on direct play codec support so full quality media needs transcoding which brings down quality.

    Yes

    Plex needs a front end capable of running on full power hardware for serious home theater use.. period

    I don't know who or what you think you're arguing with, but it's not me. I challenge you to explain how your response has any logical connection to what I said.

    Please point out where I said Rokus and Apple TVs are great and have no limitations. If you cannot achieve this, please let me know who you're responding to.

    I said these clients are "what most people use" .. period

  • dragonmeldragonmel Posts: 598Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @Xen0sys

    And I stand by my analysis that no amount of money fixes stupid and plex has been falling on its face for several years. I loved it last year when software pushes went out to iOS and appletv devices which can't be downgraded that locked them out of their servers for almost a month because the clients devs pushed the new protocols before the server guys were ready. Then bragged that they should be patted on the back because they released early..

    They are. Ring closed on by open source and free alternatives and on their projection may get surpassed as the media player standard and there are some that say this is already the case in the living room.

    Meanwhile the only stalwart for hassle free client performance even on devices is openPHT.

    When you have a big screen and a big amp you don't want a 4kbs steam with downsamled audio. You want the whole enchilada.

  • CoxeroniCoxeroni Posts: 382Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    I don't miss PMP either, openPHT and the Android app works well enough.

  • lukecrolukecro Posts: 57Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    Plex Server is great for managing and streaming media... Plex's mobile apps are great for mobile.... Their Roku/Apple TV apps are great for what they are ...

    And for the high-end TV experience, openPHT rocks. If a Kickstarter is done, I vote for it being in support of speeding up dev on (and thanking the current devs of) openPHT, as it's a small team with limited time doing great (if sometimes slow) work. Same goes for the amazing work being done by the guys that are mainting skins for openPHT - they're keeping the home-theater Plex dream alive.

    Plex should really invest some resources back into openPHT (money, dev time, and/or promotion on their main site) to support the "pro" Plex community, especially if they're going to keep up the lackluster pace on their own PMP big-screen client.

    At least Plex has been pretty good about making sure openPHT remains compatible with Plex Server, on their end of things ... As long as Plex keeps working with openPHT and maintaining a reliable Server and apps, I'm all in.

  • dragonmeldragonmel Posts: 598Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @lukecro

    Agree with supporting openpht but I think when you say that Plex has been pretty good about making sure openPHT is compatible.. I doubt it.. the openPHT guys are always chasing after Plex's changes

    what I find funny is sometimes when plex makes a change, openPHT beats some of Plex's own client apps to market keeping up with the changes...

  • danjames92danjames92 Posts: 3,186Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    They have the money to make a proper client. They have millions invested in them.

    They do not need a kickstarter.

    Mac Mini (2.7GHz, Late 2012, Windows 10, Kodi DSPlayer) | SATV 16GB | Panasonic TX-P50GT50B | Yamaha RX-V675 | Q Acoustics 2010i (FL, FR, Left S, Right S), Q2000ci Center, Q2070si Sub

     

  • stefanvanruitenstefanvanruiten Posts: 244Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    I'm all for being polite, however I fail to see the logic of this post. I've paid plenty to Plex already for my Plex Pass thank you very much and not even because I needed the features, just to support the development. Now there seems to be NewPlex an entirely different, top heavy company with a huge board, great blogs but little actual development going on with regards to the Plex Clients in general, which might even be logical from a Plex point of view with the change of direction Plex is slowly taking.

    In short, PMP is a mess and - for me - surely not worth more money. Currently I've noticed that either the Android App with Chromecast actually works pretty decently but PlexKodiConnect as an unofficial plugin for Kodi even allows me to use Kodi17, a client that actually works and has a thought through UI. (Open)PHT for me hasn't been an option anymore for over a year, it used to be great but it's far from feature complete and has some bugs.

  • Famiglia AlbieriFamiglia Albieri Posts: 54Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited July 16

    @gamblore said:

    @dragonmel said:
    @gamblore

    Niche product. Like everyone and I mean everyone here on plex doesn't have a tv?

    PHT is what we all started with here hooked to our tv's because 20 dollar Chicom steaming box crap doesn't cut it on a 70" screen and 8 channel audio.

    To get back to using plex on anything but an iphone Plex needs a fresh start at its home theater PMP offering. Continuing to pound this half baked half web app crap as a serious front end for moviephiles is a farce.

    Come on man, everyone with a TV here does not have computer hooked up to it running a desktop OS capable of running PMP. Rokus, Apple TVs etc. are what most people use to consume Plex. Acting as if everyone with a "TV" can run PMP is not helpful, and is a farce.

    Except, they don't even offer official support to Chromecast Ultra, an affordable item quite popular on it's own. People had to get up with a script to tinker with. So your theory don't convince me completely.

    My wild guess ? Things got broken when most people (like me) opted for a lifetime 1-shot subscription. That took off any kind of pressure (if your revenue get in monthly you need to nurture your customer base monthly) and development switched to bug fix only. No other explanation comes to my mind as they have had plenty of time to fix processes, organization, code... if PMP bothered them at all.

    As a lifetime Plex Pass subscriber, I'm not going to pay more for an already promised PMP.
    PS: by the way, what you call unshackle from Kodi chains simply is reinventing the wheel. This as much as there's no innovation.

Sign In or Register to comment.