Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Update Libraries problem

namvinamvi Members Posts: 3 ✭✭

I downloaded files that are machine-named, i.e. "Me2345PiXv.MP4". I had to rename them individually, i.e. "Drama ABC - Episode 01.MP4", "Drama ABC - Episode 02.MP4", etc.

After I press Update Libraries, all the files listed in the folder didn't get displayed for me to choose to create a playlist. To no avail once I had entered Title and Subtitle in each episode (file/properties/details), Plex still cannot "see" (index) the folder's files.

Brought up this matter last year (2015, 2016)), and it seems like Plex refuses to accept de facto "filename.ext" as the default to create libraires' indices. Plex needs to understand that there are a lot of files out there do not conform to strict guidelines such as missing title, subtitle, description etc, and should be flexible enough to "translate" user-defined filename to something readable as above-shown examples.

Untile Plex addresses this issue, I have no choice but to shelve Plex for another year.

Comments

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 22,789 Plex Ninja

If you don't want to bother with strict file naming schemas, create a 'Other Videos' library and point it to your media files.

Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging
  • namvinamvi Members Posts: 3 ✭✭

Thanks for your reply, however, it's still not working when I followed your above instructions. Below is the error message:

"There was an unexpected error loading this library
    Please visit our forums if you continue to experience problems.

Go to Forums"

As stated, I believe Plex needs to set the indexing default to "path to file folder/folder name/filename.ext", and forget about metadata as the chief source of indexing. Instead, let users define/change the metadata, ie title, description, source etc, to their heart's content.

All Plex needs to do is to strip the filename extension, and use the filename, i.e. "Drama series ABC - Episode 001". This pretty much requires Plex to fundamentally change its software coding, but in the end, would make Plex a better product, i.e. user-friendly.

For now, I just use VLC Media Player to create playlists and let other family members access my Windows 10's Homegroup whereas I share the media folders with them.

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 22,789 Plex Ninja

@namvi said:
    "There was an unexpected error loading this library
    Please visit our forums if you continue to experience problems.

This is a whole different issue and has nothing to do with file or folder names.
    It indicates a database issue.

1. activate debug logging (not 'verbose'!)
    2. quit Plex Server
    3. wait 1 minute
    4. start Plex Server
    5. wait 3 minutes
    6. fetch log files and attach them here
    Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging