Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Direct Play with subtitles ON, possible?

Hi guys, seems that my Plex always transcode material when i use subtitles. Is it possible, in the future, to use 'soft subtiles'? External subtitles and direct play... is that somewhere on the roadmap? Cheers!

Answers

• mickeldaelmansmickeldaelmans Members, Plex Pass Posts: 222 Plex Pass

On my Tizen Samsung using srt subs triggers a Direct Stream, but with very little overhead (NAS cpu stays around 1%). So my guess is that PMS is doing a remux of some sort. What TV/client are you using?

My Plex setup: Synology DS916+ (8GB), RPI3 + Plex for Kodi, Oneplus 3 (Android 7), Chromecast 1st gen & 2nd gen, Samsung UE43KU6500

• sergiocossergiocos Members Posts: 7 ✭✭

Latest plex app on Samsung 55KU6172. When subtitles are displayed, server always transcode the content, without subtiles everything works smooth, the content is direct played.

• LesferatuLesferatu Members, Plex Pass Posts: 17 Plex Pass

possible? yes, because emby can do it. Implemented in Plex? No!

• mbze430mbze430 Members Posts: 107 ✭✭
    edited July 21

Windows OpenPHT you can enable external SRT subtitles and it still can directplay. So either there is a limitation on the TV apps or Plex programmers don't know *%@(

I am going to say it's Plex programmers. Because the LG Xplay TV app can also play directly with external SRT enabled.

• sergiocossergiocos Members Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited July 21

@mbze430 said:
    Windows OpenPHT you can enable external SRT subtitles and it still can directplay. So either there is a limitation on the TV apps or Plex programmers don't know *%@(

I am going to say it's Plex programmers. Because the LG Xplay TV app can also play directly with external SRT enabled.

Yes, i can play movies with subtitles, without transcoding, using Serviio, but I still want to use Plex :) I wanted to know if that feature is on the roadmap.