Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Chromecasting with Alexa

rossburton42rossburton42 Members Posts: 6 ✭✭

I see that Alexa can't initiate playback to a Chromecast. Are there plans to make this work? I'd have thought that even if Alexa can't initiate the playback then extending the server so that it could start the cast would not only solve the Alexa problem but also let any other app start a cast directly. Currently I can play from Plex on my hifi (chromecast audio) if I start it on my iOS app but not my macOS desktop app.

Answers

• foofoostarfoofoostar Members, Plex Pass Posts: 10 Plex Pass

Yes! I'd too love it if Alexa could initiate playback to a Chromecast. "Alexa, ask Plex to cast to 'Kelly's Disco'".

I watch and listen to all my Plex media through my TV. I use Alexa, with my Harmony remote, to switch inputs on my TV for proper casting. However, I then have to manually cast Plex content from my desktop or Android. Only then can I use Alexa to view or listen to Plex media on my TV. It would be super cool to have a seamless Alexa experience with Plex and Chromecast.

• foofoostarfoofoostar Members, Plex Pass Posts: 10 Plex Pass

Is the issue because Alexa (Amazon) and Chromecast (Google) are rivals?

• rampage1999rampage1999 Members Posts: 4 ✭✭

Yes that is the big reason. Plex needs to come to google home next.