Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Problem with "ask plex to play some music" prompt via Alexa

dgirard96789dgirard96789 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass

OK, I have the Alexa Plex skill working--I can play movies and TV just fine, select different plex players (rasplex), even select servers (although I have only one)

I can play music if I ask to play just a specific song or band, IE:
me: "ask plex to play great big sea"
alexa: "shuffling music by great big sea"
action: a random playlist of songs by great big sea
works great!

now, when I want something even more random and I ask:

me: "ask plex to play some music"
alexa: "how about I throw on a recent favorite, would you like to listen to some music by bastille?"
me: "yes"
alexa: "ok, enjoy bastille"
*at this point, it seems like it should start playing something, but nothing happens
There seems to be 3-4 different alexa responses to asking to play some music--the recent favorite, a record label based question, and a choice to listen to something recently played...all the different discussions with alexa go well, but result in the same output from plex---nothing.

I think I've got everything setup right--given that I can play a song or band, but this more complex interaction always ends in nothing happening.

Is this a bug? If this feature isn't supported yet, it should be removed from the production release until it works as this is very frustrating.

Comments

• dgirard96789dgirard96789 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass

One more observation:

If the plex player has dimmed the screen, when I do the "play some music" script it does wake up the screen, but nothing happens...so it's communicating with the client, just not initiating playback

• dgirard96789dgirard96789 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass

OK, more strangeness:

the play some music script does not play on the rasplex client, but it does play music using a web client.

The rasplex kicks out an error that looks like this:

10:50:12 T:1766847456 WARNING: CPlexHTTPRemoteHandler::playMedia couldn't find /library/metadata/111148 in plexserver://05068b0458c5d66a0dbc8ee16eac3589b68b2034/library/metadata/111148

I'm not sure what I'm looking for on my server logs--so I haven't found anything interesting yet. We web log also doesn't seem to have anything interesting (at least I can't find anything yet when the playback is successful)