Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Alexa and remote access

kilbertkilbert Members, Plex Pass Posts: 62 Plex Pass

Why would Plex need to have remote access enabled if I am using Alexa on my local network?

Do I have something misconfigured?

Comments

• Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Members, Plex Pass Posts: 4,174 Plex Pass
    edited July 13

Nope. You are configured correctly. The developer decided or was forced to access Plex from Alexia in such a way that requires remote access.

Judging by the fact that no other app requires that kind of special access I believe that it is simple laziness or ineptitude on the part of the developer. Of course that gets reinforced by extremely poor performance of the app in recognition and response. Every other Plex remote control works on my local network WITHOUT remote access enabled so it surely is possible.

Due to this and other major problems I quit using the Plex app on my Echo. It is just too unreliable and too badly implemented.

My Harmony Hub is perfectly controlled by my echo and it recognizes every command it is supposed to while a simple phrase like "Alexa, tell Plex pause" often results in my Plex system starting some random video or audio file starting to play when all that was wanted was to pause the playing video. BTW: "Alexa, Tell Harmony pause" works perfectly.

The app is poorly written and poorly implemented and poorly conceived and requiring "Remote access" to work is just stupid. I recommend that it not be used until it is fixed in such a way as to be operational and user friendly and NOT require remote access.

"We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming." Wernher von Braun
    "We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children." Ancient Indian Proverb
    "The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth." Niels Bohr
    "When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President. Now I'm beginning to believe it." Clarence Darrow
    "Quit worrying about your health. It'll go away." Robert Orben
    "My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people." Orson Welles
    "Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have."
    "Televangelists: The Pro Wrestlers of religion."
    "I do not want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve immortality by not dying." Woody Allen
    "Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same." Oscar Wilde

• BigWheelBigWheel Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 9,763 Plex Employee

the “skill” lives at Amazon which translates what you say into values, which relays values through a our servers to be converted to a command that is then communicated to your PMS.

basically it goes User’s Voice > Amazon > our Server > User’s PMS

Elijah we know things are not perfect and we are working on it.

Logs > https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201869908-Log-Files
  • kilbertkilbert Members, Plex Pass Posts: 62 Plex Pass

Thanks Guys, I am a little disappointed, as I was excited to try this and I never wanted to open my plex server to the outside for security reasons.I live where my bandwidth is extremely limited, and an ISP that will not just shut me off if I go over.

• keksznetkeksznet Members, Plex Pass Posts: 20 Plex Pass

that is weird as I have two plex servers, one is behind a double-nat and an ipv6 internet provider (no direct access from outside - red status under Settings/server/remote access) and the 2nd is in a datacenter with enabled remote access (Green status under Settings/server/remote access). I'm using both local as well, as the 2nd server is "bigger".

Until Yesterday evening the 2nd server was working with Alexa's Plex skill, but from today it can "only" see the other one... And lists also error in the Amazon Alexa app... "Connecting to Plex Media Server // If the plex skill is not finding or connecting to your plex media server, please first ensure that:"
    Now I can only "control" the server which is only available in the local network (same network, where alexa is installed on, but not accessible over the interNET)...
    And the server reachable on the internet NOT... :-(
    Plex skill lists only one server, and set it automatically as default...

he? how is this then possible?

• keksznetkeksznet Members, Plex Pass Posts: 20 Plex Pass
    edited July 15

at the time of setup Plex in Amazon Plex skill... for 2-3 days ago

today morning as the "connection" was broken...

"palinka" is normally not reachable from outside

humm, if I'm enabling it, it says its "fully accessible outside your network"
    and on my mobile connected via LTE/mobile internet it says
    INDIRECT
    learn more at https://plex.tv/relay

this is new for me...