If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex Server on Windows with Shield client 4k and 7.1 audio

benplacebenplace Posts: 83Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I do not know if this is a plex server or a shield client issue, but it has been going on since 1.3.4 when they implemented truhd audio with 4k playback.
If I set my receiver to output 5.1 4k content works great, as soon as I turn on 7.1 and plex tried to play 7.1 with 4k the audio plays through the receiver but the image on the screen is frozen, a minute later it will just forward and freeze again. I am playing locally with a wired connection. My brother is the only person I know who has 7.1 and he has the same issue when trying to play on my server and he also has a shield.
Where can I begin to troubleshoot this?

Answers

• benplacebenplace Posts: 83Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Support here has gone to ****, as a Plex pass member I used to always get a response.

• benplacebenplace Posts: 83Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am still awaiting a reply to this post from July 14th, ridiculous.

• kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Posts: 5,371Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Server and client logs will help troubleshoot the problem. Ensure debug logging is enabled in the Plex app and in your Plex Server settings. Close your Plex Server application, wait 1 minute, restart the application, wait two minutes. Restart your Shield TV. Initiate playback of a file that causes the problem. Wait 30 seconds after the problem happens, then get the Plex client logs and the Plex Server logs and attach them here. If you are unsure how to get the logs, review the FAQ pages for instructions on how to gather Shield TV logs and Plex server logs.

Where are my log files?

How do I properly name my media files?

NVIDIA SHIELD SMB/NAS Sharing How-To - / - NVIDIA SHIELD Support Documents

Plex Server: 1.8.0 running on ThinkServer TS140 w/Server 2012 R2 Essentials
    Primary Plex Player: Shield TV, always the latest beta build, always the latest firmware revision

• KraevinKraevin Posts: 1,148Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

@benplace said:
    I do not know if this is a plex server or a shield client issue, but it has been going on since 1.3.4 when they implemented truhd audio with 4k playback.
    If I set my receiver to output 5.1 4k content works great, as soon as I turn on 7.1 and plex tried to play 7.1 with 4k the audio plays through the receiver but the image on the screen is frozen, a minute later it will just forward and freeze again. I am playing locally with a wired connection. My brother is the only person I know who has 7.1 and he has the same issue when trying to play on my server and he also has a shield.
    Where can I begin to troubleshoot this?

@benplace said:
    Support here has gone to ****, as a Plex pass member I used to always get a response.

@benplace said:
    I am still awaiting a reply to this post from July 14th, ridiculous.

You need to supply more information so you can get the appropriate help. Reproduce the error again and post the logs of it, so it can be troubleshooted. Just saying your having issues with 7.1 sound isn't going to help much.