Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex UI Roku Library Browse Question

don.alcombrightdon.alcombright Members, Plex Pass Posts: 581 Plex Pass

Does the Roku interface still scroll left to right like Xbox? I am thinking about an Ultra but just can't get over the Xbox UI and how the tile look is a mess. Biggest issue being the left/right instead of up/down scrolling since I have a large library.

PMS: unRAID 6.3.5 (32TB) + HDHomeRun Prime | Media: 2,698 Movies, 143 TV Shows (9,664 episodes), 25,683 Songs, too many photos...
Living Room: Vizio 65" P-Series (2016) 4K LED TV, Denon X2200W, Klipsch Quintet III & Klipsch R-12SW, Apple TV (4th gen)
Mancave: Panasonic 46" TH-46PZ800U 1080p Plasma TV Mi Box | Bedroom: Panasonic 32" TC-L32X1 720p LCD TV, Mi Box
Connected Devices: iPad Air, iPhone 7+, iPhone 7, XBox One, Dell XPS 15" Infinity 4K
Sharing is Caring: Fire TV Sticks | Roku's | Samsung TV's | Various Phones & Tablets

Plexing since November, 2012

Best Answer

Answers

• don.alcombrightdon.alcombright Members, Plex Pass Posts: 581 Plex Pass

@JuiceWSA said:

@don.alcombright said:
    Does the Roku interface still scroll left to right like Xbox? I am thinking about an Ultra but just can't get over the Xbox UI and how the tile look is a mess. Biggest issue being the left/right instead of up/down scrolling since I have a large library.

Welcome to the long list of users that can't stand 'Horizontal Scrolling'.

Users tried to make that point when the app was in development, but user wishes were ignored and Plex did what they wanted. Users told Plex it was going to suck. It sucks. User were right. Plex doesn't care.

No - there is no way to get a Grid Layout unless you drag PMP to your TV through an HDMI Cable (I actually do that on occasion - and it's great).

Figured as much, just hoped that after 2 or so years they had fixed that haha.

Guess I'll stick with my Apple TV until they do.

PMS: unRAID 6.3.5 (32TB) + HDHomeRun Prime | Media: 2,698 Movies, 143 TV Shows (9,664 episodes), 25,683 Songs, too many photos...
    Living Room: Vizio 65" P-Series (2016) 4K LED TV, Denon X2200W, Klipsch Quintet III & Klipsch R-12SW, Apple TV (4th gen)
    Mancave: Panasonic 46" TH-46PZ800U 1080p Plasma TV Mi Box | Bedroom: Panasonic 32" TC-L32X1 720p LCD TV, Mi Box
    Connected Devices: iPad Air, iPhone 7+, iPhone 7, XBox One, Dell XPS 15" Infinity 4K
    Sharing is Caring: Fire TV Sticks | Roku's | Samsung TV's | Various Phones & Tablets

Plexing since November, 2012

• JuiceWSAJuiceWSA Members Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also employ another 'work-around' to the world's worst app - RARflix (link in my signature).

I run RARflix and the New App side by side in my App List. When I want to browse a library, I fire up RARflix and use it's Vertical Grid with the nice big posters I can see to select a few, 'Put on Deck' with that feature of RARflix where they show up in 'Continue Watching' - if you don't put more than 3 up there, or have any TV Shows in progress (that also go in Continue Watching AND On Deck for extra, extra special redundant redundancy).

You do need a couple of Plex apps for each box you run - apparently. RARflix fills that need for the Roku, but for the other boxes I own the old PMP through the HDMI cable trick has to do.

Enjoy.

Tony

FileBot For Easy Plex File Naming: http://www.filebot.net/

Automated Plex Naming With Filebot: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/191687/plex-naming-schemes-for-filebot

Plex Friendly Handbrake Guide - DVDs/BluRays: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1335697/#Comment_1335697

Plex Clients: AFTVs, Androids, PMP, Rokus (running RARflix: http://streamfree.tv/roku-channels/private/all/rarflix-108-thread.html )