If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Direct Play Chromecast Profile?

OkelVOkelV Posts: 17Members ✭✭

Hey guys, I'm having a little issue here and I can't seem to find the answer in search queries, so I hope you can help out.

I'm trying to get mine (and friends/family) Chromecast 2's to direct play my converted and shared libraries so that I have absolutely no transcoding on my server. The files are originally MKV, and I've tried most of the optimization profiles with no avail - It's still transcoding both video and audio on the Chromecasts. My Xbox One however is playing these same converted files with Direct Play no problem.

So is there a built in or custom optimization profile I can use that has little loss of quality and will direct play to Chromecast? Or would it be better to use a third party tool such as Handbrake for this?

Thanks.

Best Answer

Answers

• andrescassanazandrescassanaz Posts: 3Members

@OkelV said:
    Hey guys, I'm having a little issue here and I can't seem to find the answer in search queries, so I hope you can help out.

I'm trying to get mine (and friends/family) Chromecast 2's to direct play my converted and shared libraries so that I have absolutely no transcoding on my server. The files are originally MKV, and I've tried most of the optimization profiles with no avail - It's still transcoding both video and audio on the Chromecasts. My Xbox One however is playing these same converted files with Direct Play no problem.

So is there a built in or custom optimization profile I can use that has little loss of quality and will direct play to Chromecast? Or would it be better to use a third party tool such as Handbrake for this?

Thanks.

Hello! How are you?
    I'm looking exactly the same as you. Have you found any way to solve this problem?
    Thanks!

• OkelVOkelV Posts: 17Members ✭✭

@andrescassanaz said:

Hello! How are you?
    I'm looking exactly the same as you. Have you found any way to solve this problem?
    Thanks!

Unfortunately I haven't. I've tried each of the optimization profiles on a few different videos and the Chromecast still wants to transcode every time. I've left it for now because even though it's transcoding it's doing it (throttled), which seems to be good enough for what I want, but if someone can chime in and provide a perfect method for DIrect Play that'd be great.

• kragebeinkragebein Posts: 31Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi, are you guys using subtitles? Chromecast doesnt support subtitles.

• OkelVOkelV Posts: 17Members ✭✭

I had actually meant to post a follow up back in here, thanks for bumping it.

These were videos without subtitles. the Plex Transcoding Profiles for some reason would not produce a Direct Play file for Chromecast, so I solved this issue by using third party tools, as mentioned here (https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/270108/optimized-version-for-direct-play-in-any-plex-app#latest) by using Handbrake or FFmpeg.

However I did run into another problem though which had me stumped for a while, mentioned here (https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/274162/unable-to-default-to-original-quality#latest). There seems to be an issue with the mobile apps at the moment which causes videos to be transcoded even at Direct Play settings. I got around this by playing my videos in the Mobile Chrome Browser and casting from there.

I hope this helps others.

• Jonathan-458Jonathan-458 Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@tomyun,
    Weird, but after adding this to "Chromecast.xml" now my chromecast does DirectPlay again.

Why hasn't PLEX fixed this?