Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Direct Play Chromecast Profile?

OkelVOkelV Members Posts: 3 ✭✭

Hey guys, I'm having a little issue here and I can't seem to find the answer in search queries, so I hope you can help out.

I'm trying to get mine (and friends/family) Chromecast 2's to direct play my converted and shared libraries so that I have absolutely no transcoding on my server. The files are originally MKV, and I've tried most of the optimization profiles with no avail - It's still transcoding both video and audio on the Chromecasts. My Xbox One however is playing these same converted files with Direct Play no problem.

So is there a built in or custom optimization profile I can use that has little loss of quality and will direct play to Chromecast? Or would it be better to use a third party tool such as Handbrake for this?

Thanks.

Answers

• andrescassanazandrescassanaz Members Posts: 3

@OkelV said:
    Hey guys, I'm having a little issue here and I can't seem to find the answer in search queries, so I hope you can help out.

I'm trying to get mine (and friends/family) Chromecast 2's to direct play my converted and shared libraries so that I have absolutely no transcoding on my server. The files are originally MKV, and I've tried most of the optimization profiles with no avail - It's still transcoding both video and audio on the Chromecasts. My Xbox One however is playing these same converted files with Direct Play no problem.

So is there a built in or custom optimization profile I can use that has little loss of quality and will direct play to Chromecast? Or would it be better to use a third party tool such as Handbrake for this?

Thanks.

Hello! How are you?
    I'm looking exactly the same as you. Have you found any way to solve this problem?
    Thanks!

• OkelVOkelV Members Posts: 3 ✭✭

@andrescassanaz said:

Hello! How are you?
    I'm looking exactly the same as you. Have you found any way to solve this problem?
    Thanks!

Unfortunately I haven't. I've tried each of the optimization profiles on a few different videos and the Chromecast still wants to transcode every time. I've left it for now because even though it's transcoding it's doing it (throttled), which seems to be good enough for what I want, but if someone can chime in and provide a perfect method for DIrect Play that'd be great.