If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Is there a basic "How to configure your router" page that will allow remote access?

robonekearobonekea Posts: 22Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I see several threads with this question, but none with my specific router, Netgear Nighthawk. I travel quite a bit and not having access to my stuff has been a major bummer lately. After an update it stopped working.

Anyone please help!
Thanks.

Answers

• dragonmeldragonmel Posts: 636Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Plenty of info in the FAQ and I have participated in at least 6 threads this week covering router setup and port forwarding

• jmckeejmckee Posts: 4,970Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    edited July 15

Unfortunately it varies based on manufacturer, model type, and even different firmware versions on the same router.

What typically varies will be the names, but the basics will always be the same.

1) Goto the port forwarding tab.
    2) Forward external port (IE 32400) of your choice to internal port 32400 (The internal port must be 32400) on the IP address of the machine running Plex Media Server.
    3) Goto into the Plex Media Server remote access settings, type in the external port you picked in step 2 (IE 32400) and check the box for manually specifying a port and click apply..

In the above example 32501 is the external port.
    192.168.1.103 is the IP address of the machine running PMS.
    32400 is the local port that must be set to 32400.
    TCP is the default (If not TCP or Both should work equally well)

In the above is the external port that was forwarded (32501).
    I blanked out my IP addresses, but for this example the private would be 192.168.1.103:32400 and public would be the machines public IP address:32501.

If different IP addresses are showing up there then there might be a bigger issue (such as a double NAT)