Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

"There was an unexpected error loading the dashboard"

waoonetworkwaoonetwork Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

It doesn't mater what computer i'm on I receive this error. Tried clearing browser cache as that worked once a long time ago. It seemed after the last two updates it was intermittently working. I tried running "optimize database", "clean bundles", and "empty trash" in that order. Tried a few times but no luck.

Best Answer

Answers

• NewPlazaNewPlaza Posts: 657Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

How many libraries do you have?

• sa2000sa2000 Posts: 28,536Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

@waoonetwork said:
    It doesn't mater what computer i'm on I receive this error. Tried clearing browser cache as that worked once a long time ago. It seemed after the last two updates it was intermittently working. I tried running "optimize database", "clean bundles", and "empty trash" in that order. Tried a few times but no luck.

See https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201643703-Reporting-issues-with-Plex-Media-Server
    https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200250417-Plex-Media-Server-Log-Files

Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows

• waoonetworkwaoonetwork Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have 3 libraries "TV Shows" "Music" "Movies"

I've attached my log files after following the steps.
    Plex Media Server version 1.7.6.4058 (Plex Pass)
    On Windows Server 2012 R2 Virtual Machine

• sa2000sa2000 Posts: 28,536Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

@waoonetwork said:
    I've attached my log files after following the steps.
    Plex Media Server version 1.7.6.4058 (Plex Pass)
    On Windows Server 2012 R2 Virtual Machine

I will look at the logs shortly but we have had a few reports now on windows servers. Do you use RDP and terminal services ? There appears to be an issue of per session temp directory setting which is affecting the load of the hubs and access to the temp directory

Are you able to access %TEMP% ?

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows

I use RDP to access the server, this isn't a terminal server. Not much running on this server other than plex and plexpy. I close plexpy to see if it would resolve the issue as a couple months ago there was an issue that just closing plexpy fixed it.

I tried accessing %TEMP% and it reports back it can't find it.

edited July 16

Looking into the temp dir its there all the way except for the last folder named 2. I created the folder and the dashboard is back :smiley:

edited July 16

Thanks for your help on this. seems odd Plex didn't create the folder unless this is something the OS should have done?

I don't know why this issue is suddenly arising. It is to do with Per Session Temp Directory
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\PerSessionTempDir

It has been raised with the development team but has not been possible to reproduce it

edited July 16

ah, i'll have to adjust that on the domain for the plex server. That would explain possible why i've seen the dashboard from time to time not work. maybe plex recreated the folder but after a log off or server reboot it went away. Thanks

If the problem is easily reproducible and you are comfortable with running SysInternals Process Monitor, I would like to look at a PML capture covering period from launch of Plex Media Server up to the time when the open file fails on that temp file - together with the matching logs. Might also be useful to get a process dump after to see what environment variables get set. You can use SysInternals Process Explorer to get a full dump file

If you are happy with that, you can send me a PM with link to where they are uploaded to. PML files which could be huge do zip very well

@sa2000 said:
    I can also see you have been some crashes - at
    Jul 13, 2017 19:46:23 and Jul 12, 2017 19:14:35

I will try and locate the crash reports

If you still get these crashes, I would not mind having logs with debug logging enabled. At those times, the logs did not have debug logging enabled

• cfahnestockcfahnestock Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited July 17

Question, I didnt bother to attach logs cause this issue keeps repeating itself even when I rebuild the db's. I have a server power edge 900 running direct attach storage holding 45TB of content. When I updated PMS to 1.7.5 this dashboard started to crash... so.. likewise.. i rebuilt the db and reinstalled the entire PMS platform, worked for a few hours then... dashboard went out again. So without removing the DB files and making any changes... i reverted back to 1.7.0 and dashboard worked.. no issues using the same DB's as the non working 1.7.5 server, Thought this detail may be important for ya'll.

RETRACTED Occurred with 1.7.0 as well.

• pemangpemang Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hello all,

I'm seeing this exact issue but without a domain joined machine / no terminal services. Checking "System Properties -> Advanced tab -> Environment Variables" reveals that windows has the local temp folder as simply "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp". However, executing %TEMP% or %TMP% takes me to "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp\4" - this folder regularly gets deleted when logging out, which in turn breaks Sabnzbd, Plex, Sonarr, etc.

Any ideas how to possibly remedy this? Thanks in advance.

@pemang said:
    Hello all,

I'm seeing this exact issue but without a domain joined machine / no terminal services. Checking "System Properties -> Advanced tab -> Environment Variables" reveals that windows has the local temp folder as simply "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp". However, executing %TEMP% or %TMP% takes me to "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp\4" - this folder regularly gets deleted when logging out, which in turn breaks Sabnzbd, Plex, Sonarr, etc.

Any ideas how to possibly remedy this? Thanks in advance.

Do you use RDP ?

What is the value of this registry field ?
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\PerSessionTempDir

What OS version? Is it Windows Server 2016 ? Windows Server 2012 R2 ? Windows 10?

edited July 26

Thanks for the reply. Yep i use RDP, from my personal computer (Windows 10) to my server (Windows 2012 R2)

I found the DWORD PerSessionTempDir and it is a hex value set to 1.

I presume it is now being set to plug security issue with RDP - see
    https://www.stigviewer.com/stig/windows_server_2012_2012_r2_member_server/2016-12-19/finding/V-3455

It appears to cause problems with Plex Media Server - so my advice would be not to use RDP for launching Plex Media Server

Considering im the only one connecting to this server and the only one with the details, i think this security issue is a risk i'm willing to take :smile:

Changing it to a value of 0 and restarting fixes the issue and reverts to using same temp folder for all RDP sessions