Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex Media Player on Windows 10 doesn't support TrueHD?

wsj2105wsj2105 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 5 Plex Pass

Does Plex Media Player not support TrueHD 5.1/7.1 audio? All the movies I have with TrueHD audio is being transcoded and playback with a lot of buffering. Basically unwatchable.

It seems to support the other HD audio standard, DTS-HD MA 5.1/7.1. Those play back direct play/passthrough just fine.

Why the issue with TrueHD?

Answers

• onekmilesbehindonekmilesbehind Members, Plex Pass Posts: 65 Plex Pass

PMP supports TrueHD as I'm able to pass it through on my Windows 10 HTPC. I'd first make sure you're in the TV mode of PMP, not the web layout. From the home screen if you see an expand/tv icon to the left of your server name, click it to enter TV mode. I'd then pop into settings and ensure you have TrueHD selected for passthrough under the Audio menu.

If TrueHD is not showing up there, then this is likely an issue with the audio settings in Windows. My understanding is PMP just reads the list of supported codecs from the OS and then identifies them for passthrough in settings.