If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Stuck buffering?

tomfangtomfang Posts: 9Members ✭✭

Hi guys,

This is my first time posting here about an issue, and I don't know all the information I'm supposed to give, so please forgive me and ask me if I've missed some critical information.

I have the TLC Roku TV, which I use the Plex app on.
My Plex Media Server is running on the new Microsoft Surface Pro 2017.
The media (mostly movies and shows) is on an external HD (WD Passport).
The Surface is connected via ethernet and I get 300+ mbps down and 22 mbps up.
For Local, I've selected original quality (but I have tried other selections and the same happens).

Once in a while (say 20 min), the video will suddenly pause and it will be spinning at 33%-36% for like 2 minutes and then resume the video.

On my TV in the living room (using stand alone Roku), it would buffer like this and then eventually error out and can't connect. In this case, I go to my computer and the media server is unresponsive and I have to restart. This happens several times over a 90 min movie.

This has been causing such headache for me and I have tried to understand how to fix it but have no idea!

Thanks to anyone who can help!!!

Answers

• tomfangtomfang Posts: 9Members ✭✭

No one can help?

Where can I pay someone to fix this???

• shopgirl284shopgirl284 Posts: 2,754Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Forum Moderator Plex Ninja

Are these videos transcoding? (Hit the star (*) button on your Roku remote during playback and go to Stream Info).

Since your original post discusses that your Plex Media Server is unresponsive and must be restarted, this sounds like a Plex Media Server issue, not an issue with your Plex app for Roku.

User here in the Plex app for Roku section of the forum have Plex Media Server installed on a variety of devices/operating systems, so posting to the section of the forum for Plex Media Server on your operating system will ensure you get assistance from those most familiar with that operating system, its most common issues and solutions, as well as those best suited to interpret the PMS logs on that operating system.

If you want to ensure if this is a Plex Media Server issue and not a Plex app for Roku issue, the best way to isolate an issue is to use another Plex player. If you do not have a Plex player other than the Roku, you can always use the Plex Web app from a browser on a computer, tablet, or phone other than your Plex Media Server computer. (Using the Plex Web app on on your Plex Media Server system would not show connection/networking issues that may be causing issues). See Opening Plex Web App

Also make sure the computer, tablet, or phone connects to your home network with the same method (Ethernet or wireless) and from the same distance (do not stand right next to your router if your other player/device is on the other side of your home) as your Roku devices.

If this issue occurs on multiple Plex players, then this is an issue with your Plex Media Server, not the Plex player app.

Many issues and questions can be resolved by reviewing the Plex Support Documentation
    Providing details about your issue, Plex setup, and including log files are important when when asking for help on the forums.
    See Log Files
    Before posting channel plugin questions or issues, please review the pinned threads at the top of the Channel Plugin forum:
    READ FIRST: Guidelines for Posting Channel Plugin Issues/Questions and Things to Check First
    FAQ for Channel Plugin FAQ

@shopgirl284 Thank you for your response!!

I've posted the question here:
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/280730/stuck-buffering-at-33-in-the-middle-of-playback/p1

To answer your question, I believe they are transcoding. I've tried "original quality" but also like "12mbps" etc.

• shopgirl284shopgirl284 Posts: 2,754Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Forum Moderator Plex Ninja

I would include your Plex Media Server logs after the issue occurs in that thread too, since that can often help others troubleshoot your issue.

See Plex Media Server Log Files. Since pasting a log into your response can take up unnecessary space, it is best to attach it as a text file or use pastebin, pastie, or another similar service to attach the logs.

If this always happens when you play a specific video and so it is easy to recreate the issue, reboot Plex Media Server, then go and play that video so it produces the error before pulling your logs. Rebooting Plex Media Server starts a new PMS log file, so it will be cleaner and just show the current issue you are having.

Many issues and questions can be resolved by reviewing the Plex Support Documentation
    Providing details about your issue, Plex setup, and including log files are important when when asking for help on the forums.
    See Log Files
    Before posting channel plugin questions or issues, please review the pinned threads at the top of the Channel Plugin forum:
    READ FIRST: Guidelines for Posting Channel Plugin Issues/Questions and Things to Check First

@shopgirl284 Ok I've attached the logs here:
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/280730/stuck-buffering-at-33-in-the-middle-of-playback/p1

Hopefully I did it right! Thanks!

• gariland123gariland123 Posts: 143Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

mine does the same thing but i use plex cloud except mine stops at 13% randomly on buffering for roku premiere

• Larry.lh90Larry.lh90 Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have a roku TV and purchased plex and it tells me I had no service the only station I get is news how do I get service

• Larry.lh90Larry.lh90 Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I didn't mean service I meant servers

@Larry.lh90 said:
    I have a roku TV and purchased plex and it tells me I had no service the only station I get is news how do I get service

Plex is a client/server media management program. So you must have Plex Media Server installed on a computer system (the server) and then you access that from the Plex channel on the Roku (the client). See the Plex support documentation for more on how Plex works. https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us

See Log Files