Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

New install of the server -- Open plex, and can't find server (WIndows 10)

tcsmith314@gmail.comtcsmith314@gmail.com Validating, Plex Pass Posts: 5 Plex Pass
edited July 16 in Windows

I just installed plex, and it doesn't seem to work.

I "open plex", and this brings up my Firefox browser pointed to http://127.0.0.1:32400/web/index.html

In this web page, all I get is a spinning circle saying "Looking for serves" on the left hand side of my screen.

I though, maybe my firewall is causing trouble (McAffee) so I disabled this. Still not working. I tried rebooting, and I also reinstalled (and rebooted).

This should be easier to work with. Any ideas what is going on?

Answers

• sa2000sa2000 Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Posts: 27,557 Plex Team Member
    edited July 15

may be mcafee is not being disabled fully.
    Try and find out how to add rules in mcafee

Adding a program rule for each of the .exe files in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server directory

and separately adding port rule -
    inbound
    protocol = tcp
    local port = 32400
    remote port = any
    remote ip = any

The port rule does not reference any exe

Also check that you local network is showing as Private. Sometimes on windows 10 they appear as Public

you could also try different browser

When you installed the server and went through the licence acceptance screen, did you sign the server in to your plex.tv account?

See if you have any logs in
    C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\Plex Media Server\Logs folder - copy out and zip the copy and attach

Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows

• tcsmith314@gmail.comtcsmith314@gmail.com Validating, Plex Pass Posts: 5 Plex Pass

I've never had trouble with mcafee using universal media server, or any server for that matter. Adding each exe to exception list and a firewall rule is just too much work to get a commercial product working... But, I did verify that I can connect to local port 32400 (http://192.168.11.13:32400/web/index.html shows a plex page)

...And, I did check to see that my local network is set to private.

... And, I tried accessing using another browser -- Chrome (same behavior, didn't work)

WRT to the Acceptance screen you mention, When installing the server, the only thing I saw was Options, (and only option was which directory)... then, after this, installation, and then a launch button. After launching, the server shows up as running (icon in system tray, bottom right corner of screen). Then, I right click on the server and select "Open Plex..." This opens a web page on localhost, port 32400. I see the page fine, and I'm logged into my account (I've tried logging out, and then back in). The only problem is that I don't see any server.

Yes, there were logs found in the log directory. I've attached these in a zip file.

• sa2000sa2000 Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Posts: 27,557 Plex Team Member
    edited July 16

you have 2 accounts, which account in plex web are you signed into ? the Hotmail .ca one or the gmail .com one?

The server is using the Hotmail account

Close all browser sessions
    Go to http://plex.tv
    sign out if already signed in
    Then sign in with the Hotmail .ca account
    and then click on Launch to connect to the server

The log shows a server launched at Jul 15, 2017 20:26:37 on a fresh install and was shutdown at 20:42:21
    Is this the right server?
    Name is Mainframe on 192.168.11.13

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows

• tcsmith314@gmail.comtcsmith314@gmail.com Validating, Plex Pass Posts: 5 Plex Pass

Thanks. This did the trick. I don't use that other email, but must have used it in the past -- and Plex has somehow stored this in the registry of something? I wasn't asked for an email during the server installation -- and when I opened the web page to the server, I used my gmail account. Strange behavior.

Thanks for the help

@tcsmith314@gmail.com said:
    Thanks. This did the trick. I don't use that other email, but must have used it in the past -- and Plex has somehow stored this in the registry of something? I wasn't asked for an email during the server installation -- and when I opened the web page to the server, I used my gmail account. Strange behavior.

Thanks for the help

glad it is resolved. We do have an issue raised on this internally - hoping that there will be an indication as to which account the server is linked to

Can you tell me how to configure the server to log into/use another (a new) account? I paid for a subscription using my gmail account, but the server (as we found) is linked to another account that doesn't have a subscription.

edited July 16

@tcsmith314@gmail.com said:
    Can you tell me how to configure the server to log into/use another (a new) account? I paid for a subscription using my gmail account, but the server (as we found) is linked to another account that doesn't have a subscription.

Sign server out - Settings / Server / General

Then sign out of plex web (top right corner)

close browser windows

open new browser and sign in to plex.tv using the new account

Click launch and claim the server using the new account

The server will be signed in to he new account

Great. This worked. Thanks

excellent - please mark the topic as answered by selecting the relevant posts