Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Any set-top box with plex which can sync videos to local storage?

kendrewkendrew Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi there!

I'm trying to give my grandfather a way to watch a TV show which he LOVES, but he has no internet access. I have the TV show in mkv video files, but the show is not available on DVD, Bluray, etc.

I know that plenty of iOS and Android phones and tablets allow video files to be synced locally for offline playback.

But are there any set-top boxes or HDMI dongles which can connect directly to a TV for playback from local storage with Plex?

I know that the Amazon Fire TV has a microSD card for storage, but I don't know if it can be used by Plex for syncing videos. Not sure about other devices like a Chromecast or Roku.

Can you help me figure out a way to give my grandfather this TV show? I have thought about authoring a disc, but I don't have a Bluray burner, and using a DVD would mean no HD in a regular DVD player. Plus, from what I've seen authoring discs are a lot of work.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Answers

• SiscoPlexSiscoPlex Posts: 846Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

No internet?.... Then why use plex for this scenario? for the pretty pictures?

From what I understand only mobile devices are capable of sync.... could be wrong though.

In this specific scenario I would just load SPMC(kodi) on whatever set top box and load the Shows on a USB and point kodi to that folder. Do this at your house where you have internet so it can download the metadata prior to giving to him

• trudgetrudge Posts: 2,258Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@kendrew said:
    Hi there!

I'm trying to give my grandfather a way to watch a TV show which he LOVES, but he has no internet access. I have the TV show in mkv video files, but the show is not available on DVD, Bluray, etc.

I know that plenty of iOS and Android phones and tablets allow video files to be synced locally for offline playback.

But are there any set-top boxes or HDMI dongles which can connect directly to a TV for playback from local storage with Plex?

I know that the Amazon Fire TV has a microSD card for storage, but I don't know if it can be used by Plex for syncing videos. Not sure about other devices like a Chromecast or Roku.

Can you help me figure out a way to give my grandfather this TV show? I have thought about authoring a disc, but I don't have a Bluray burner, and using a DVD would mean no HD in a regular DVD player. Plus, from what I've seen authoring discs are a lot of work.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Put the media on the MicroSD card and use this -> https://mrmc.tv/