Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Remote restart of Shield TV? There is a solution!

zluzarzluzar Posts: 21Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited July 16 in NVIDIA SHIELD

It happens that sometimes PMS crashes and is not working until the whole Shield Tv is restarted. I was wondering whether there is a way to make such restart when i am not home. And finally i found elegant workaraund how to do so.

For those lucky owners of Logitech Harmony remote control (the newer one with the always connected Hub extension) there is a possibility to create new activity (i named it Restart Shield) and program this activity to simply restart the Shield. As the mobile app can control connected staff even outside your home wifi (via cloud), you could easily restart the Shield from wherever you are. Which is AWESOME!

I generally think that Logitech's Harmony controllers are magic pieces of finetuned accessories which help to deal with multiple remote controls at home and this is just another application how usefull it can be.

Hope it helps at least to somebody!

Note: my setup of the "Shield TV restart" activity consists of start sequence and end sequence macros, which ensure the proper restart of my Shield TV. If you want to program the activity in the same manner, watch out a short video describing my setup of the activity.
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AsR4PAcXVKqExQseuAg9kaNe1-iF

Comments

• etuoyoetuoyo Posts: 12Members ✭✭

Great solution. Unfortunately I don't have a new Logitech so not a solution that works for me.

Wonder where this bug came from. Seems the very first version of the Plex Media Server is the only one I can't count on to not give me issues. There were a number of updates that had issue of not restarting when there was a power failure or Switch otherwise switches off. This was finally fixed in the Android 7 update. Then after that updates introduced this bug of server stopping and not being able to restart unless you restarted the Shield.

Quite frustrating. Might end up uninstalling all updates, reverting to the original server version and never ever updating ever again.

• claudio_romaclaudio_roma Posts: 263Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

a smart power plug?

• vondalejvondalej Posts: 22Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

interesting. How hurtful is hooking it up to a Wemo and cutting the power every now and then?