If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

why are you creating directories/scanning libraries?

cymbacymba Posts: 1Members

I am new to plex and am looking for a streaming server to play my large (8tb+) library. I have used native dlna for years and it quickly shows me a "windows" style directory listing of all my files and I can easily select the file I want to play.
One of my new tvs doesnt let me use the standard dlna browser, so I need to use a server. Unfortunately your server doesnt offer a quick way to view and select files. It wants to use its own directory and takes forever to build it.
Why don't you use the standard, always correct, windows directory structure? I don't needed icons or screens with limited number of files per page.
On first impressions, looks like plex wont work for me.

Answers

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Posts: 25,764Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Simply add your video files to an 'Other Videos'-type of library.

Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging
  • flamebirdflamebird Posts: 115Members ✭✭✭

Can't you just use "folder view"?

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Posts: 25,764Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

@flamebird said:
    Can't you just use "folder view"?

Folder View in a regular movie library only shows you items which are 'matched'.
    So combine my tip from above with Folder view and you should be set.

Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging