Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

TiVo Bolt Direct Stream instead of Direct Play

I am using Version 1.7.5.4035 of plex media server and version 3.8.0 of the player on TiVo Bolt.

I am trying to play a variety of different x264 files in 720p and 1080p in mkv container. They all direct stream but none of them direct play. Any idea why? Thanks.

Tagged:

Comments

• shupp872shupp872 Posts: 28Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Direct stream is the result of the file container. MKV is not compatible with the TiVo. However, direct stream isn't transcoding. It is removing the container and streaming the audio and video stream separately without transcoding. If you took that x264 encode and put it in an mp4 container, it would direct play (most likely).

• josh1014josh1014 Posts: 2Members

Thanks for your reply. My understanding was that the Bolt does support the MKV container unlike the roamio. Is that incorrect?

• jcthornejcthorne Posts: 153Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Tivo does not support mkv. Plex is remuxing into a streamable container. Use mp4 or ts