If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Rename Fire TV Stick in Plex

stevefxpstevefxp Posts: 30Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Right now Plex shows my Fire Stick as AFTT in the devices section. This is ok for now since I only have one Fire Stick. I am about to add two additional sticks and would prefer to name them by the room they are used in. Second this rename also helps when using Plex with Amazon Echo, as you have real names for each player.

Best Answer

Answers

• Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Posts: 4,374Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I do not think this is something Plex has found important enough to implement. But I only have one Fire device so I cannot be sure. But there has been a lot of discussion about renaming Fire devices and I do not remember any resolution.

Plex has lost me! I am moving all my local media consumption to Emby. There are things about Plex that are better than Emby but Plex has begun misleading their customers and even telling their users bald faced lies and that is unacceptable so I no longer use Plex for any media consumption.
    I will NOT be lied to by a company I have any choice about using.
    It has been a good ride but I now feel that I am the one being ridden.
    Emby is NOT better software but they are a better company at this point.

• kcgodwinskcgodwins Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have the same problem but with a twist. I have a buddy who also apparently has a fire tv stick and when he accesses my plex server, it shows up properly as "Fire TV Stick", but my fire tv stick shows up as AFTT. So there's got to be something somewhere that manipulates the name. Has anything new on this happened since the previous post?

• RaptorConRaptorCon Posts: 95Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Two of my family members have used their Android phone apps (One of the Roku remote apps)to rename their own Roku devices (Roku HDMI sticks). They don't remember how they did it but when setting it up initially with their Android phone apps there was apparently an option to name them.

This however can get confusing also when everyone names their devices "Living Room" and MBR, however the account and IP's can easily remedy that.

I realize this doesn't help your situation but maybe a possible option to try.

~Raptor

RaptorCon

• flowflow Posts: 408Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Sorry guys, WTF?
    Settings > General > Devicename

Is it that hard? Just open your eyes!

Please note the Legal notice for the usage of Google Analytics in my Channels.
  • RaptorConRaptorCon Posts: 95Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Flow, why does it only work on Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays (WTF)? Please enlighten us... LOL

The above is apparently the answer for Fire Sticks, however I found where the setting is for the Roku owners (not Plex Admins). It's on their web site when you logon to Roku.com.

~Raptor

RaptorCon