Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Roku buffering every few seconds

Fausty0Fausty0 Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Model: Roku 4 4400X
Software: 7.6.0 - build 4120-17

Plex works great on all other devices (Phone, tablet, Laptop, etc) except the Roku. Constant buffering even over my gigabit home network. Roku is hardlined as is the Plex server with no more than a hop between the Server and the Roku. Something is messed up somewhere.

Troubleshooting steps that I have attempted:
1.) Trans coding settings: Currently have it make my CPU hurt.
2.) Reboot the server and check all running processes (CPU Load and RAM capacity)
3.) Reboot Plex and verify services boot properly.

Nothing has worked.

Answers

• bbubulkabbubulka Posts: 93Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I run Roku over wifi with no issues so its odd you are over a hardline. Have you played with PLEX settings within Roku regarding Video / Direct Play? I think I have mine disabled due to audio sync issues. Might help....

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/204275243-Settings-Plex-for-Roku

PLEX Setup:
    Server Side: Dell R410 (16 Core | 16GB RAM) / Ubuntu Desktop 16.04.01 64bit / Synology RS812 & RS814 (9TB @ RAID 5)
    Client Side: Roku 4 (x4)

Please remember to mark the appropriate answer(s) which solved your issue.

• djumvdjumv Posts: 47Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@bbubulka said:
    I run Roku over wifi with no issues so its odd you are over a hardline. Have you played with PLEX settings within Roku regarding Video / Direct Play? I think I have mine disabled due to audio sync issues. Might help....

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/204275243-Settings-Plex-for-Roku

Nah, this is an issue. Not just him, there's other people having the issue since 1.7.6. See the thread below.

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/255452/roku-2-long-buffering-13-then-constant-buffering-during-playback#latest

DJUMV - VCIX-DCV, VCIX-NV, CCNP R&S, CCDP, MCSE - 2013 Messaging

• PMS running as a VMWare VM on top of a 3-host redundant HA Cluster.
    • vSphere Hosts Build: 2x Xeon 10-core E5-2650-v3, 128GB RAM, 2x 1TB SSD RAID 1 (hardware controller, LSI SAS), 2x Quad-Port 10Gbe NIC per host.
    • 8TB vSAN stretched cluster across 10k RPM SAS drives
    • vSAN over 8-port LBT dvSwitch
    • Cisco 4506e with supVII
    • PMS Virtual Machine: Server 2016, 8 Virtual processors, 32GB RAM.
  • bbubulkabbubulka Posts: 93Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Interesting, as I'm running Roku with PMS 1.7.6 with no issues at all. Thanks @djumv for providing that thread link! We'll have to keep an eye out.

PLEX Setup:
    Server Side: Dell R410 (16 Core | 16GB RAM) / Ubuntu Desktop 16.04.01 64bit / Synology RS812 & RS814 (9TB @ RAID 5)
    Client Side: Roku 4 (x4)

Please remember to mark the appropriate answer(s) which solved your issue.