Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex database keeps going corrupt.

stoneypumastoneypuma Posts: 16Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I get the following error when starting my plex server:
"There was an unexpected error loading the dashboard"

I've followed the troubleshooting steps according to this site (Windows part):
https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201100678-Repair-a-Corrupt-Database
.. But they didn't work.
I did a complete clean install of Plex (removed cache and everything). After I restart the pc I get the error again. So I tried an older version of Plex. Same issue.
At the moment I'm at the end of my line here and I really have no idea what else I can do to fix this.

Any help would be welcome! :smile:

Answers

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Posts: 24,514Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Which Anti Virus software is in use?

Did you move the Plex data folder to a different place than the default?
    If so, where and how?

Are you using any 'permanent' and/or 'online' backup software to save the plex data?

Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging
  • RyonLRyonL Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited July 17

I have the same issue. For the last three days my dashboard would give this error at least 2 times a day.
    I just had to restart my server to fix this, but then my dashboard would fail to load again. I have noticed there are more people with this problem: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/279640/there-was-an-unexpected-error-loading-the-dashboard

One of the possible permanent solutions is this:

1. Exit the plex Media Sever
    2. Go to: C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Temp\
    3. Check if a folder named "2" is present (without the " ")
    4. If not make a new folder named "2" (without the " ")
    5. Start the Plex Media Server

This seemed to fixed the issue immediately for me.
    If there is already a folder named "2", i'm sorry. I don't know how I can help.

Nevermind, this doesn't work as well. So frustrating.

@RyonL said:
    3. Check if a folder named "2" is present (without the " ")

If you have a headless server, don't run Plex in a Remote desktop session.
    Run it as a system service instead.

• stoneypumastoneypuma Posts: 16Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@OttoKerner said:
    Which Anti Virus software is in use?

Did you move the Plex data folder to a different place than the default?
    If so, where and how?

Are you using any 'permanent' and/or 'online' backup software to save the plex data?

Antivirus: MS Security essentials.
    I didn't move anything since I installed Plex (just kept the default settings).

Currently the database is being backed-up locally. Nothing online. Though I put my server online sometimes. But I don't think that should make a difference.

edited July 17

@stoneypuma said:

Tell it to stay out of the Plex data folder.

Good.

Currently the database is being backed-up locally. Nothing online. Though I put my server online sometimes. But I don't think that should make a difference.

No, I am not referring to activating Plex remote access. I mean backup software which monitors a folder and immediately triesd to replicate any changes to the backup location. This type of software can interfere with normal Plex operation.
    But if you don't use such type of software then simply disregard the question. ;)

How is Plex server started?
    For a headless server and one where you regularly RDP into, I urgently recommend you to use the 'system service' wrapper app and not to use the windows task scheduler.

• AshTray900AshTray900 Posts: 104Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

are you trying to reuse a database on new install? you may need to rebuild the database itself, a little bit of a pain but it may be your only alternative.

uninstall plex server, leave files where they are, best to be an internal drive, check to be sure drive is testing ok. also make sure the drive C where database is stored is ok if you use different drives like ssd and large spinner.

wipe all database settings out.

reinstall plex media server, go to setting server and "reclaim" your server name.

add you libraries back manually.

let it rescan everything and then go back and fix errors.

use window auto login to start plex instead of a non plex solution like run as service.

of course this is a last ditch resort, I did port my database over along time ago from win 7 to win 10 successfully, but its possible that the database is really just corrupt and needs killed and rebuilt. hope it doesn't come to this for you.

@AshTray900 said:
    are you trying to reuse a database on new install? you may need to rebuild the database itself, a little bit of a pain but it may be your only alternative.

uninstall plex server, leave files where they are, best to be an internal drive, check to be sure drive is testing ok. also make sure the drive C where database is stored is ok if you use different drives like ssd and large spinner.

wipe all database settings out.

reinstall plex media server, go to setting server and "reclaim" your server name.

add you libraries back manually.

let it rescan everything and then go back and fix errors.

use window auto login to start plex instead of a non plex solution like run as service.

of course this is a last ditch resort, I did port my database over along time ago from win 7 to win 10 successfully, but its possible that the database is really just corrupt and needs killed and rebuilt. hope it doesn't come to this for you.

No I am not trying to re-use it. On a lovely morning suddenly the error appeared. :neutral:
    I did a completely fresh install (started from scratch) and still the error appears.

@OttoKerner said:

@stoneypuma said:

Tell it to stay out of the Plex data folder.

Good.

No, I am not referring to activating Plex remote access. I mean backup software which monitors a folder and immediately triesd to replicate any changes to the backup location. This type of software can interfere with normal Plex operation.
    But if you don't use such type of software then simply disregard the question. ;)

How is Plex server started?
    For a headless server and one where you regularly RDP into, I urgently recommend you to use the 'system service' wrapper app and not to use the windows task scheduler.

Meanwhile excluded the whole local data Plex folder (virus scanner).

It's not a headless server. I'm just using it for Plex so I can stream my data to my tv. Worked fine until a few weeks ago.

This afternoon (CET-time). I repaired the plex installation. Had to reboot my pc and Plex was nicely showing my video's.

Now I just refreshed my browser and I got the error again.

This thing is making me crazy...

@stoneypuma said:
    It's not a headless server. I'm just using it for Plex so I can stream my data to my tv. Worked fine until a few weeks ago.

Are you using Remote Desktop to log into it?

edited July 17

do you have something else using port 32400 on your local pc? is your windows load in good health?

if this is all your getting "There was an unexpected error loading the dashboard"

it might not be a bad database after all, but rather a plex media server issue itself.

also a duh here but that little drop down box lets you manage any plex server you have on your network, might want to check and see if its picking the right one, and if you only have one server, go to devices and look under servers and see if there is a duplicate/s that need removed

@OttoKerner said:

@stoneypuma said:

Are you using Remote Desktop to log into it?

Yes. But also using the local admin credentials to login on it.

@AshTray900 said:
    do you have something else using port 32400 on your local pc? is your windows load in good health?

if this is all your getting "There was an unexpected error loading the dashboard"

it might not be a bad database after all, but rather a plex media server issue itself.

also a duh here but that little drop down box lets you manage any plex server you have on your network, might want to check and see if its picking the right one, and if you only have one server, go to devices and look under servers and see if there is a duplicate/s that need removed

Only Plex is using port 32400 and no other duplicate servers running (double checked that).

@stoneypuma said:
    Yes. But also using the local admin credentials to login on it.

That doesn't play any role whatsoever.

I am able to use remote desktop to connect to system and PMS without an issue, video playback sucks however - win 10 pro

its only use is for me to manage libraries

@AshTray900 said:
    I am able to use remote desktop to connect to system and PMS without an issue, video playback sucks however - win 10 pro

its only use is for me to manage libraries

Same for me. I have an Android TV which I use to watch my media. The remote desktop connection is only for updating/managing my libraries.
    Of course, when trying to open the Plex app, it also doesn't show my dashboard as I get the error on my server.

• CloussiDeeCloussiDee Posts: 1Members

Same problem here. Started after det lastest update.
    Repair/reinstall fixes it for a while, but the error comes back after some days/hours.

Running Win Server 2016.

@stoneypuma said:
    Same for me. I have an Android TV which I use to watch my media. The remote desktop connection is only for updating/managing my libraries.

This is not the point.

@OttoKerner said:

@stoneypuma said:

This is not the point.

Would you please mind telling what the point is then, or where you're getting at?

@stoneypuma said:
    Would you please mind telling what the point is then, or where you're getting at?

Avoid running Plex in a Windows user context.
    Apparently Microsoft changed something about how RDP works and what it does.
    If you run Plex in this RDP session something happens which causes the database to get corrupted.

My point ultimately is this:
    If you have a server which is "headless", (otherwise you won't need to RDP into it)
    then do the right thing and run Plex as a true "server".
    Which to me means: to run it as a 'system service' that gets started irrespectively of whether a user is logged into the machine and independently of which user that is.