If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Trying to move my Plex Library, copy fails - "You require permission from the computer's admin..."

SprongfeldSprongfeld Posts: 14Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I've got a working install of PMS on a Synology box that I'm trying to move over to a Windows machine; I'm in the process of copying over my Library/install info, but it won't let me complete the copy/paste... Windows keeps throwing a permission error: "You need permission to perform this action. You require permission from the computer's administrator to make changes to this file:
com.plexapp.agents.themoviedbxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
I've tried .ZIP-ping the entire directory, but it fails on the same set of files. I've stopped the Plex service on the Syno, but that doesn't seem to have done anything. I'm doing the copy-paste on a Win10 machine, signed in as an admin, copying from a mounted Syno share to an NTFS-formatted USB stick.

Any suggestions? How am I supposed to move my library over if I can't copy the files to the new machine...?

Answers

• SprongfeldSprongfeld Posts: 14Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Bump. Anyone...?

• NewPlazaNewPlaza Posts: 817Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Take a look here.
    https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201154537-Move-Media-Content-to-a-New-Location

.. Are you trying to copy all of plex directories and files or just your media?
    If you install Plex on Windows then you should not need any agents files because the Plex installer for Windows will add those. Furthermore those agents may be device specific and could fail to load on your Windows machine.

Perhaps one of these kind people may know.
    @ChuckPA, @OttoKerner
    Do you know if agents can be copied from one box to another?

• ChuckPAChuckPA Posts: 17,692Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

To move from Windows to Synology? Tough. You're going to run into all kinds of problems.

What specifically from the agents are you trying to copy? Information provided by PMS's agents in the bundle for the movie/episode?

Trying to recursive copy or copy-paste over the net will kill you. Permissions errors galore
    Your best bet is to recreate the libraries fresh on the Syno. Before you panic, let me detail

1. Windows uses drive letters and \ as the directory separator. Linux does not use drive letters and / as the dir sep. PMS stores path names in the DB.
    2. Windows file permissions and Linux file permissions concepts are vastly different. Linux is a multiple concurrent user system.. Windows is not. Linux is strict on this whereas Windows is not. (this is what you're seeing now.
    3. On Linux (the Syno), PMS runs as user plex. Your Syno username doesn't have permission (there's that default security kicking in) to write in what is Plex's data.

Why are you trying to copy from Windows to Syno? What pieces of information are you trying to retain?

Please DISABLE Verbose logging until requested

Please search before posting

Primary support forums: Linux, Synology, and QNAP

Please remember to report back. This benefits others.

Useful links

Installation and Basic Setup |  Media Preparation (How to name your media files)  |  Linux Permissions 

Handling TV Specials | Handling Movie extras  |  Nas Compatibility List

Reporting Plex Server issues | Plex Media Server FAQ | Linux Tips

Other useful guides: Local Subtitles | The Plex "dance" | Synology FAQ | PMS Release Announcements

No technical support via PM unless offered

Please remember to mark the appropriate answer(s) which solved your issue.

edited July 19

@ChuckPA
    I do believe the OP is trying to copy from Syno -> Windows.
    But I completely see what you are saying... Linux>Windows or Windows>Linux... What a nightmare.

• ChuckPAChuckPA Posts: 17,692Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

It's Linux -> Windows.

Linux security is going to stop the Windows user from accessing user plex data all over the place.

The best option is to extract ONLY what's needed (IF possible/ portable because some isn't) and create fresh because of drive letters and directory separators.

In one statement, the structure and format of 'path names' between Windows and Linux are incompatible with each other

Windows has no concept of /home/chuck It needs the drive letter.
    Linux would see C:\users\chuck and create a directory, in the current directory (wherever that may be) as C:userschuck (\ is the escape character)

All that can reasonably hope to be achieved.. with care.. is https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201154527-Move-Viewstate-Ratings-from-One-Install-to-Another

Useful links

Installation and Basic Setup |  Media Preparation (How to name your media files)  |  Linux Permissions 

Other useful guides: Local Subtitles | The Plex "dance" | Synology FAQ | PMS Release Announcements

edited July 19

Yeah... That would be a challenge moving all Plex content. I may only know of one other person capable besides you(definitely not me) of copying everything and making it work.

Seems like the best option for the OP would be copy just the media and make new libraries in Windows.

There is no need to copy the media to Windows. Mount the media as a network share right where it is. The Syno does this VERY well. It is as NAS afterall :)

Useful links

@ChuckPA said:
    There is no need to copy the media to Windows. Mount the media as a network share right where it is. The Syno does this VERY well. It is as NAS afterall :)

HA! True that.

@ChuckPA said:

Thanks for the tips, guys. The problem is that I'm retiring my old Synology box, trying to get ahead of things before it fails completely; leaving the media on the Syno shares isn't really an option.

The viewstate and ratings transferred over just fine by doing a straight copy/paste of the library data (or, I guess, or whatever library data Syno let me copy over, anyway...)

Sorry, I'm only barely technically literate; I'm not understanding why Syno's Linux OS won't let me copy over the files? If none of the files were accessible, I could understand, but a little more than half of the metadata files copy over just fine. Is it an issue with Windows shares? Is there a way to force a copy/paste through, like, the web interface or something? I only barely understand what SSH is, and would have no idea how to actually "SSH" something, but would that be an option? SSH in and, I don't know, do some magic haxxxorz command prompt something something?

I might in the denial stage, here, but surely there has to be some way to do a simple copy/paste...? I've got a ton of custom artwork, descriptions, etc. that'll need to be re-created from scratch. It's not just a case of moving my libraries and letting Plex auto-scrape TVDb; rebuilding my libraries from scratch is going to be a weeks-long process (more like months-long, really, given the small amount of time I'll actually have to work on it...).

edited July 19

@Sprongfeld said:
    I've got a ton of custom artwork, descriptions, etc. that'll need to be re-created from scratch. It's not just a case of moving my libraries and letting Plex auto-scrape TVDb; rebuilding my libraries from scratch is going to be a weeks-long process (more like months-long, really, given the small amount of time I'll actually have to work on it...).

Man, that sucks. I too would be frantic leaving all my custom stuff behind. I say you have two issues you need to overcome. The physical artwork files and the database(custom descriptions and manual changes).
    I would think the formal would be easier to do then migrating the contents from the database to a new one.

When you say 'custom artwork', are you referring to media you've uploaded into PMS?

If so, did you know you can put that artwork in the folder with the media and PMS will automatically find it when you do a complete re-create ?

Useful links

@ChuckPA said:
    When you say 'custom artwork', are you referring to media you've uploaded into PMS?

If so, did you know you can put that artwork in the folder with the media and PMS will automatically find it when you do a complete re-create ?

I didn't know that; it's all stuff that I uploaded to Plex using the "edit metadata" for each entry. I was under the impression that it would be super easy easy to copy my Plex install over, so I don't have backups of any of it; it only exists in the Plex library

ok.. then there is hope.. it may not be fun but SOLID hope.

we can copy all the JPG images out of the metadata area and put in a common directory.

Here comes the 'Not Fun' part. I think Window file explorer will make this MUCH easier than it is on Linux because you can see tiles.

Presuming you have your movies organized as:

Movie (Year)/
       Movie (Year).ext
       ... any subtitles or extras here as well

1. Make certain you have the 'Local Media Assets' agent enabled (this tells PMS to look for the posters)
    2. Move the custom artwork into the Movie (Year) directory with the movie and rename it to Poster.jpg (make sure it's a JPG).
    3. Refresh the movie (when you're testing / practicing)
    4. Go to the next item.

Yes a bit of work but you'll never have to do it again. Your custom posters will always be with the media.

As a test / demonstration

1. Create a new diretory somewhere
    2. Copy one of your existing movies to that new directory
    3. Create a new 'test movies' library pointing there ONLY
    4. Watch PMS pull up the correct poster from TMDB
    5. Copy a clearly incorrect poster into that test movie directory
    6. Update that section
    7. Watch the poster change to the incorrect one you just placed there, overriding what PMS downloaded.

Better?

Useful links

Sorry, I'm not sure I follow; when I open up the Metadata folders in the Plex installation, the folders are titled as SeeminglyRandomAlphanumericString.bundle; there are "art" folders in Contents/_combined, but the files in there are all titled "com.plexapp.agents.etcetcetc". Those are the files that I don't have permission to copy, so I can't do anything other than just look at them and curse silently to myself "f*ck you, Plex".
    Am I looking in the right place...?

You're in the right place but, and I apologize for, one key piece of information (which i'm attempting to verify 100% for you but seems staff is asleep).

When you're looking at the top Metadata folder, where you see Albums, Artists, Movies, TV Shows, you'll need to search for the images in Explorer.
    Let the machine do the work.

Search for *.jpg in explorer. (what i've done in the past.. again.. what i'm asking for verification on)

Anything PMS downloads will be like this:

./Movies/5/68ff63695d00cb14029fbaefbcf5642f270a873.bundle/Contents/_combined/posters/com.plexapp.agents.imdb_119dd24be9ae07fbe7c4f483bd31dbbd21b62343

This is actually a valid movie poster in PMS naming (which is a JPEG) scraped from IMDB at 1600x2400 pixels.

What you should find is your renamed file retaining the extension.

In the link above, the image is this

Useful links

crap.. now for the bad news.....

just as I posted, I got the reply. The image is kept, as is, named as I showed above without the extension on it. PMS knows the format but removes it.

When you look at it, it looks like any other automation-scraped image.

NOT the answer I was hoping to give you and DEFINITELY not the answer you're looking for.

I'm sorry there isn't another way

Useful links