If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

PlexTranscoder.exe has stopped working

jpclemmerjpclemmer Posts: 74Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

About one or two updates ago I have a massive problem. Many videos will not play anymore. The format of the video is random. It has no particular love and hate relationship towards a particular format. I will get constantly spammed by this pop up until I stop trying to watch this video. So, I will just open VLC and watch it. I am attaching DxDiag, error screen shot and Plex Media Server Logs.

I run windows 7 with Malewarebytes and windows defender.

Best Answer

Answers

• AshTray900AshTray900 Posts: 146Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

are you still running WMC for anything, did you download the unofficial windows "codec pack" for windows media player and WMC?

also do you have both Malwarebytes and defender in active scan mode?

I personally would remove Malwarebytes, deactivate defender and load Microsoft security essentials, you'll still get a few years support on windows based antivirus until win 7 support drops around 2019 or so.

I know a zillion problems can arise from more than one virus scanner trying to check files as they are accessed.

just a thought, might help.

does the windows system or app logs show anything when the program file crashes? this is sounding like a windows issue rather than a plex software issue

• jpclemmerjpclemmer Posts: 74Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Of course it is someone else's fault. Nothing to do with updates for Plex. Right after an update these issues started happening. I will not get rid of Malewarebytes because Plex is failing after an update. Malewarebytes is more important to me than Plex.

I only have Malewarebytes constanting running. Windows Defender runs when I tell it too.

I did not download an unofficial anything.

I do not use Windows Media Player. I do not know what WMC is. Is it Windows Media Codex? Controller?

Nothing crashes. Nothing at all crashes. I get a pop up saying there is a codex issue when trying to play certain movies on my Chrome Browser Plex. These movies will play on VLC and used to play on Plex.

So that is it? Is there a Plex fix for this?

• astrofisherastrofisher Plex Dwarf Star Posts: 5,514Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Plex appears to having issues analyzing the files - permissions issues shown in the scanner analysis logs.

Jim

"I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    Rule #32 "Enjoy the little things"

So, how do I fix this problem? They never used to have a plex analyzing the exact same files before.

• FrackFrack Posts: 21Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited July 19

Welcome to the club! I've been a member of the "stopped working" crash club for almost a month now:

http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/277164/plex-media-scanner-and-transcoder-crashing

http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/278499/plex-media-scanner-has-stopped-working

3 years of continuous Plex stability until now. No changes to the system other than normal updates.

So the question is what happened. Something changed. Plex fails to read some files now. It is Plex failing not my virus program or Windows 7. Those are working fine. No issues playing the videos on other formats. I think I have been using Plex and paying the 5$ a month of 2 years maybe. Never had an issue until now.

So no one who works for Plex desires to answer my plea for help?

• sa2000sa2000 Posts: 29,199Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member
    edited July 22

@jpclemmer said:
    About one or two updates ago I have a massive problem. Many videos will not play anymore. The format of the video is random. It has no particular love and hate relationship towards a particular format. I will get constantly spammed by this pop up until I stop trying to watch this video. So, I will just open VLC and watch it. I am attaching DxDiag, error screen shot and Plex Media Server Logs.

I run windows 7 with Malewarebytes and windows defender.

Need to see the Windows Application Event Log entries for these transcoder crashes and the times so the relevant parts of the logs can be looked into.

If the Application Event Log entries for the PlexTranscoder.exe Application Error events show exceptions of oxc0000374 then these are most likely the ffmpeg issue that will be fixed in the next Plex Pass release (the one after 1.7.6)

See http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1482116/#Comment_1482116

If they are not heap corruption crashes then would need to know the times of the events, details of the Application Error events and the logs covering the time

Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows

edited July 23

Faulting application name: PlexTranscoder.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x6c505c73
    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.23807, time stamp: 0x5915f8e8
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x000331f6
    Faulting process id: 0x3b54
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d303b86f823bdb
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server\PlexTranscoder.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll

edited July 23

Here is the XML detailed view.

• randyippolitorandyippolito Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited July 23

deleted...

• sa2000sa2000 Posts: 29,199Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

Lets wait and see if these crashes do go away after the next Plex Pass version is released. It has a fix for an ffmpeg bug causing memory corruptions.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows

When is this update going live?

Dates are never known but I would expect a Plex Pass release would be within a couple of weeks

Thank you. Downloading now.

Ok it works now. No more errors. Thank you for the help.