If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

ReadyNAS 526X or QNAP TVS-682?

contemptcontempt Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

It's time for me to upgrade my 7yo ReadyNas Ultra 6. This unit has been running well, albeit slow. But the latest build of Plex isn't supported which means no more web access for my library. Plus, 1080 and 4k are almost impossible to transcode unless I run it off my iPhone 7 and my other Plex clients aren't powerful enough so it relies on the NAS which also isn't powerful.

Since I'm coming from a ReadyNas and I'm familiar with it, I've narrowed down my new NAS choices to the ReadyNas 526X or the QNAP TVS-682.

If anyone has any suggestions on which one I should purchase, I'd greatly appreciate it. Seems both are well rated and reviewed and don't think I'd go wrong with either. Which is my problem of choosing. Want to make sure I purchase something that'll last me as long as this unit has.

Thanks and I will also cross-post this onto the QNAP board.

Tagged:

Answers

• sdchewsdchew Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm in the same boat as you and pretty annoyed that ReadyNAS has abandon upgrading the firmware on my Ultra 6 too.

Right now I'm looking at Synology but their CPUs are pretty weak. I'm not too familiar with QNAP reliability but I know both Synology and ReadyNAS are pretty rock solid.

• contemptcontempt Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm now seriously considering a QNAP 677. It's their new AMD models. I figure I'd future proof versus getting an Intel model from last year. It's pricey but given how much mileage I've gotten out of the ReadyNAS, about to take my plunge. Did you get your Synology and/or choose a model? I'm still researching.

• diehard007diehard007 Posts: 22Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I run the 526x on samsung series 9 tv if you push the unit to the max 4k is possible but its just too much strain on the unit. 1080 just as good but if you have unlimited download and great speeds and only want to watch 4k files you will need a nas that states it can run 4k files.

Diehard007

• ChuckPAChuckPA Posts: 20,033Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member
    edited January 21

If you're going to start playing with (decoding and possibly transcoding) 4K, you need to get an Intel processor with a 6th generation GPU (e.g. i7-6xxx) or better .

It's the first one capable of doing the decoding of 4K SDR (not HDR) in the GPU.

If you're going to reach to the 4K tier, make it a good step and put yourself on solid footing. It's either pay now or suffer later. That's the nature of the beast.

Please DISABLE Verbose logging until requested

Please search before posting

Primary support forums: Linux, Synology, and QNAP

Please remember to report back. This benefits others.

Useful links

Installation and Basic Setup |  Media Preparation (How to name your media files)  |  Linux Permissions 

Handling TV Specials | Handling Movie extras  |  Nas Compatibility List

Reporting Plex Server issues | Plex Media Server FAQ | Linux Tips

Other useful guides: Local Subtitles | The Plex "dance" | Synology FAQ | PMS Release Announcements

Hosts: Fedora, QNAP, Synology, most Linux distros in VM

No technical support via PM unless offered

Please remember to mark the appropriate answer(s) which solved your issue.