If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

PS4 v4.72 & Plex v1.02 -> No Audio

kinpatsukinpatsu Posts: 4Members ✭✭

Hi. I've been using Plex for about 10 days, so I'm far from an expert. However, it has been working great for me until the updates today. When I brought up the PS4 it updated both the PS4 firmware and the Plex software, so I don't know which is causing the problem, but I can no longer get audio from any of my videos. Video image and subtitles are working fine, but the audio is gone. I've tried streaming videos that I know have been working; no audio. Also, streaming to my iPhone from the same server is working fine, so it seems to be a PS4 specific issue. I tried (based on an old Reddit post) to power down (and unplug) all components in the system to force a hard reset, but that didn't help. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?
Plex has been flawless over ~100 hours of usage until this afternoon! Help!!

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• BigWheelBigWheel Posts: 9,913Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

What is your PS4 connected to and how. what processes audio? can what ever it is connected to processes AC3 surround sound?

Logs > https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201869908-Log-Files
  • kinpatsukinpatsu Posts: 4Members ✭✭

The PS4 sends A/V to a Sony receiver over HDMI. The receiver passes the video up to a TV through HDMI. The PS4 is wired to my router, as is my MacBook Pro, which is running the Plex server app. The MB Pro is getting the mkvs from my NAS, also wired to the router. I found that a few of the videos still have working audio, but most don't (including ones that were working great up through yesterday). Everything was flawless until this evening.

• BigWheelBigWheel Posts: 9,913Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

what are your audio settings in app? Do you have AC3 enabled? what kind of audio is in files that don't work?

I have a PS4 as well and am using it right now without issue so far. i have tried AC3, DTS and AAC

• acidfrehleyacidfrehley Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm experiencing the exactly same issue here.
    I've tested with and without ac3 enabled.

And with AAC files and dts aswell.

• steventimssteventims Posts: 3Members ✭✭

Same problem here.

probably a silly question but have y'all rebooted the PS4 after the update?

Yep, rebooted

• kay.onekay.one Plex Engineer Vancouver, CanadaPosts: 331Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

PS4 doesn't natively support DolbyDigital (DTS) so we always transcode the audio track to AAC. (this is not new)

Could you check the activity screen when playing the video file with no sounds and see if it says audio is being transcoded and to what format.

Also, could you check the PS4' audio output settings under Settings > Sounds and Screen > Audio output settings

• qkingusaqkingusa Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same issue here. Just updated, now it's busted!

Plot thickens folks. I've got two PS4s. I have one with the issue, and one without. Both running off the same Plex server with the same settings, on the same plex ps4 app version.

Now to play spot the difference on the PS4 end of things (hard until kids go to bed....)

Will report back a bit more when I get a chance to compare.

NOTE - all of this was working as is, before the PS4 Plex App update to 1.02 was imposed.

So, all of the settings on both PS4s are same, PS4 software version, and Plex app version and app settings are the same. This includes the PS4 audio output settings under Settings > Sounds and Screen > Audio output settings being set to Bitstream (Dolby).
    The difference appears to be the existence of a receiver in the equation for the lounge PS4, vs the bedroom PS4 that has no receiver and goes straight to the TV via HDMI.This was never previously a problem.

Workarounds to get sound from Plex app, after upgrade to v1.02:
    1. When I force the lounge PS4 audio to bypass the receiver and come directly out of the TV, sound comes out. But it's ****, because it's TV audio.
    2. When I force the lounge PS4 audio to go through the receiver as it originally did, BUT change the PS4' audio output settings under Settings > Sounds and Screen > Audio output settings to be set to 'Linear PCM', sound comes out. But it's not how I want it set, and it was working fine before on Bitsream (Dolby) prior to PS4 Plex app update v1.02.

Hope that helps others to diagnose/recover, and for a fix to be developed (or useful explanation as to why this is how it is..etc)

Cheers.

• kinpatsukinpatsu Posts: 4Members ✭✭

To answer kay.one, my Audio Output Settings were:
    Primary Output Port: HDMI
    Audio Format (Priority): Bitstream (DTS)
    I found that if I change Audio Format to Linear PCM, I get Linear PCM at the A/V receiver; that works. But DTS (and Dolby) don't work.
    I assume the activity screen is Status->Now Playing... There I see:
    Transcoding
    Video Transcoding VC1 to H264
    Audio Direct Stream
    I can't speak for Dolby, but I agree with qkingusa that DTS was working without a hitch until v1.02.

• RayRay573RayRay573 Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same issue here. Working prior to v1.02 for a very long time. Now broken -- no audio configuration changes were made.

• gtosnipeygtosnipey Posts: 39Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

For me:
    Primary Output: HDMI (to HDMI ARC)
    PS4 Pro Settings: Audio output HDMI, Bitstream (DTS)

I found also that changing to Linear PCM works but then you don't get DTS on the receiver.B

Not sure if this is a work around but it works for me (with not the same quality of sound). Leave it on Bitstream (DTS) on the PS4 and in the Plex app on PS4 go to your user in the top right corner and select "Settings" from the drop-down. And then go to the "Audio" tab, I uncheck "Dolby Digital (AC3)" and it works. My receiver Denon x2300 still says "DTS" but I am not 100% sure it sounds the same. Maybe someone else can test this? I feel I have to turn the sound up much louder, and I am getting quality resembling the Linear PCM.

edited July 19

y'all are not using Linear PCM? it that the same for everyone? I have always had mine set to linear PCM so guess that is why i did not see any difference.

PS4 devs are looking into why that broke

• gtosnipeygtosnipey Posts: 39Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@BigWheel said:
    y'all are not using Linear PCM? it that the same for everyone? I have always had mine set to linear PCM so guess that is why i did not see any difference.

PS4 devs are looking into why that broke

I have always got a better quality not using Linear PCM and using Bitstream (DTS). Still wondering if anyone else has tested leaving PS4 to Bitstream (DTS) and then in the Plex app as I mentioned above unchecking 'Dolby Digital (AC3)'. I still feel the sound quality is different (think it is degraded and although it shows DTS still on my receiver it sounds almost the same as Linear PCM).

Great to hear there's a fix being investigated. Cheers

Looking forward to the fix. Thanks!