If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

[REL] Audiobook Metadata Agent (Audible)

andrewjheadandrewjhead Posts: 28Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited September 26 in Plex Channel Plugins

Audiobooks (Audible) metadata agent

2017.07.23.01 - Major Revisions
2017.09.26.01 - Minor Revisions - URL change at audible.com broken things.

Metadata agent for Audiobooks stored in a music library. Now available in the Unsupported App Store!

This agent scrapes from Audible.com. It uses the Album Artist as the books Author and uses the Album Title as the Book Title. All audio files will need to be tagged correctly in order for this thing to do it's job. You can manually search for each book if you don't have them tagged ahead of time.

Download: https://github.com/macr0dev/Audiobooks.bundle/archive/master.zip
Source: https://github.com/macr0dev/Audiobooks.bundle

Metadata supplied:

Full Title
Author (as Artist)
Book/Album Cover (as Poster)
Release Date (audiobook, not print or e-book)
Production Studio (as Record Label)
Publisher's Summary (as Review)
Series Title (if exists)
Narrator(s) (as Genre Tag)
Genres (as Genre Tag)

Library Creation Options:

Create a BASIC MUSIC LIBRARY (not a premium Plex muisc library)

DO NOT check 'Use Embedded Tags'

DO check 'Store Track Progress'

Agent - Select Audiobooks

Agent Congiration Options:

If you're in the US and want to scrape from Audible.com - you're all set!
If you're NOT in the US, or just want more flexibility with your searches you have options.

Manually Select Audible Site:
This option allows you to manually select which site you're going to scrape. If this is not checked, the language you selected for
the library, or the language selected for a manual match will be used to select which site to scrape from.

Select Audible site to use:
This option is ignored if the above box is not checked.

Tips for greatest success:

Set "Album" tag in audio file as the book title
Set "Artist" tag in audio file as the book author
None of the other tags really matter for searching and matching.
Manual 'match' will use the Author/Artist field if it's present, but you cannot enter it manually. Only the title.
Make sure all the tracks have the same artist and album.
Store each in a folder

Notes:

-Title data in parens () such as (Unabridged) is automatically removed before search. I've found this improves the results and matching.

-Currently, I don't have a great source for author data. What populates now (if any) is being done automatically from last.fm. You're welcome to go add some data there. This was kind of a happy accident.

-The first two genre tags show up in the top right when viewing the album/book. Genre tags are listed in the following order: Series [if exists], Narrator(s), Genre.

-You can filter by the various tags that are added to each book. Be it author, series, narrator, etc.

Answers

• dane22dane22 Posts: 10,259Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Since this is a REL thread, and in a dev forum, would you mind if I moved it to this forum instead?

forums.plex.tv/categories/plex-channels

I hate bugs - Tommy Lee Jones, MIB
    Join me in developing: epg-dk, str2utf-8, remidx, ExportTools, WebTools
    Support the Samsung Client:Donate
    Guides I use: Media Naming Guide, Local subtitles, Log-Files, QNAP FAQ, The Plex Dance

NO Support via PM, unless called by me

• andrewjheadandrewjhead Posts: 28Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I was just going based on the other [REL] threads in this forum. This is not a post for a channel. Since this is a metadata agent, wouldn't it be better off here than there?

Normal users don't visit the dev forums ;-)

Guides I use: Media Naming Guide, Local subtitles, Log-Files, QNAP FAQ, The Plex Dance

And regardless, added here:
    forums.plex.tv/discussion/200017/

Fair point. :smile:

Go ahead then.

Moved, and added to UAS ;-)

well this was quite the eventful conversation! Thanks and Thanks!

• lincoln.mauricelincoln.maurice Posts: 18Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Any chance we could also add the GoodReads API?

https://www.goodreads.com/api

Unfortunately, Goodreads API requirements don't really leave an opening for this kind of application. If you read through their list of requirements, a good half of them are a no go.

• Buzzard-PlexBuzzard-Plex Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am using this plugin now and it is awesome, thanks so much for creating it.

You're very welcome!

• mortis42mortis42 Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

How does it handle short story anthologies? I have mine tagged as Editor=Album Artist and each story as a separate track with that stories Author=Artist.

Can you give me a link to an example from Audible? I'm not sure of the advantage to doing things based on editor, but out of my collection I don't have many short story collections and they are all from the same author.

• mortis42mortis42 Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Dangerous Women is an example where the Audible listing doesn't even list all the actual authors of the stories.
    METAtropolis: Cascadia shows the authors, but doesn't list the editor seperately. (in this case Jay Lake also edited)
    In both these cases, Local Metadata (embedded tags) would be preferable.

So, I see where this one could be fun. Leaving aside the agent and audible itself for a moment we can look at how plex itself is capable of handling this and go from there.

Since we're piggy backing off of the music feature, plex is going to expect 1 artist and 1 album title. You technically only need the album title to make the search feature work. So I would suggest leaving the artist/author blank and letting the agent populate that for you. I could look at splitting the authors from the audible page, but Plex isn't going to let me assign more than one artist to the album anyway. So that doesn't really buy us much.

As for track titling, when I stored Dead Men Can't Complain (granted there was only one author) each track has it's own short story title. But I suppose you could do Story Title / Author or vice versa. As long as all the "album" titles match on the tracks it will group them together.

such as: http://imgur.com/9sIwJw6

I'll do a test for one of the two books tomorrow, but what I expect to see is all of the authors strung together as a single "artist". Which will make sorting fun. It might be worth it to try and detect multiple authors and try to convert them to a "Various Artist" type situation. Although I don't know how it will react when the artist tag doesn't match what's in the files.

• pax0707pax0707 Posts: 166Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Cheers for the work you do here.

I've been playing around with it a bit and It works as good as it can considering the way Plex (does not) supports audiobooks.

Thanks! Glad you're getting some use out of it.

• unabatedshagieunabatedshagie Posts: 57Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited September 26

EDIT: Seems it was my folder structure, I've put the author in FN LN format and removed the date off the book title in the folder and it's picking it up and adding the right covers/info.

I've followed your instructions but either it's not working for me or I'm doing something wrong.

This is the metadata/tags for the file and the file path. But after scanning this is what I'm seeing.

this

Well, yes. The MP3 tags part looks right. But we're going to need a LOT more information about your setup to know if you've configured something wrong.

Although, right off the top of my head - that IMDB tag in the top right hand corner makes me think maybe you setup a "Premium Plex music library" instead of a "basic music library?"

• unabatedshagieunabatedshagie Posts: 57Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I created a new library with just that one book in it, and it was definitely a basic music library . I updated my post, seems like my folder structure was the problem.

In that screenshot it was:
    W > Weir, Andy > [2011] The Martian > The Martian.mp3

I created a new library again and changed the folder structure to:

Andy Weir > The Martian > The martian.mp3

And it seemed to work.