Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

DTS-HD sound on HiMedia Q5 Pro (transcoding)

lusitopplusitopp Members, Plex Pass Posts: 50 Plex Pass

Hi, i recently bought a HiMedia Q5 Pro Android TV.
This box supports alot of formats, i.e. DTS-HD, but my server always transcode the sound no matter what checkboxes i check.
I have marked Audio passthrough: auto

With no selections in the player menu it says: Transcoding DCA to AAC
If i mark: "Device supports DTS" it says: Transcoding DCA to AAC
If i mark: "Device supports AC3" it says: Transcoding DCA to AAC
if i mark only "use android media player" it says: Transcoding DCA to AAC
If i mark both "use android media player" and "device supports DTS", it says: Transcoding DCA to AAC
If i mark both "use android media player" and "device supports AC3", it says: Transcoding DCA to AC3

If i mark only "use external media player" and choose the himedia player the DTS-HD lights up on my reciever.

I read something about Plex does support DTS-HD so i would not be sad that DTS-HD isnt shown on my reciever, but why does the server tell me that it transcodes the audio?

I found that if i have 2 different releases, one standard and one with DTS-HD, even if i choose the higher bitrate one and even if i play with external media player (within plex), my reciever will tell me i only have DTS sound. If i delete the standard release and only keep the one with DTS-HD and then start the movie within plex but using external media player my reciver says DTS-HD.

so, is this by design or is something wrong?

// lusi

Answers

• nightmarerambo77nightmarerambo77 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 5 Plex Pass

I got a q5 recently as well and have had some audio issues with plex, going to do more tests next few days to try himedia vs plex to compare results.

• AndrroidAndrroid Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,103 Plex Pass

Just fyi this device is not an official android TV device

• lusitopplusitopp Members, Plex Pass Posts: 50 Plex Pass
    edited July 29

have done alot of testing now and this is what works for me now.

i upgraded my q5 pro from android 5.1.1 to 7.0, original firmware. then i updated to the 2.0.3 official firmware, after that i installed 2.0.4 futeko firmware, where they have enabled 5.1 passthrough in Kodi.

once in kodi i installed the plex plug-in/add-on.

The original plex app really sucks on this device, it transcodes EVERY single audio and the menus, omg the menus, it feels like it is made for touch devices because i need to do like 8 clicks just to start the next episode.

the plex plugin for kodi works really well with this custom firmware, it direct plays and the sound is on passthrough to my pioneer sc-lx501. The only thing that still doesnt work is dts-hd, but i can manage using the builtin himedia player for those movies. but the menu work really well, it is easy to change substitles, and choose episodes and so on.

to bad the official plex app is so bad on the device.

• danjames92danjames92 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3,117 Plex Pass

No actually the device is so bad. Not the Plex app.

Mac Mini (2.7GHz, Late 2012, Windows 10, Kodi DSPlayer) | SATV 16GB | Panasonic TX-P50GT50B | Yamaha RX-V675 | Q Acoustics 2010i (FL, FR, Left S, Right S), Q2000ci Center, Q2070si Sub

• lusitopplusitopp Members, Plex Pass Posts: 50 Plex Pass

@danjames92 said:

Ok, can you recommend a mediaplayer there my server dont have to transcode the sounds incl dts-hd/truehd

• AndrroidAndrroid Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,103 Plex Pass

@lusitopp said:

@danjames92 said:

Ok, can you recommend a mediaplayer there my server dont have to transcode the sounds incl dts-hd/truehd

Shield TV

• mftsrvmftsrv Members, Plex Pass Posts: 5 Plex Pass

try to deactivate the h264 sound-configuration, worked for me a couple of plex for android versions, the current version plex version sucks on tv. cause there are some options hidden in TV layout mode.

• nightmarerambo77nightmarerambo77 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 5 Plex Pass

any plans for updates on this? the himedia device is really quite a good performing so its a shame about plex