Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Is development for Kodi addon dead?

fabionevesfabioneves Posts: 31Members ✭✭

As the title says, is there any development still being done on this?
Will the thumbnails be improved, I notice that the ones used by the addon have really low quality, also would be good to have them smaller, so we could fit more rows into the grid.
Thanks!

Answers

• danjames92danjames92 Posts: 3,200Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited July 20

Couldn't really tell you as this doesn't say updated for bugfixes or actively developed.

Mac Mini (2.7GHz, Late 2012, Windows 10, Kodi DSPlayer) | SATV 16GB | Panasonic TX-P50GT50B | Yamaha RX-V675 | Q Acoustics 2010i (FL, FR, Left S, Right S), Q2000ci Center, Q2070si Sub

• ForceflowForceflow Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I really hope this continues to be developed. We use it daily!

Thanks for all the hard work, @keithah @ruuk

• anthonwsanthonws Posts: 107Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Was it ever born? LOL

. Win10 + HW Transcoding (QSV) | Define R5 Black + i5 4690K + 32GB RAM + 256GB SSD (OS) + 525GB SSD (VMs) + 4TB Storage Space + Nvidia GTX 760 DCU II OC
    . Shield TV (2015) + Kodi 18 + Plex for Android App | Minix NEO X6 + Android 5.1.1 + Kodi 18 + inputstream.adaptive + plugin.video.netflix

• HitsVilleHitsVille Posts: 399Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited August 30

@anthonws said:
    Was it ever born? LOL

Well it served it's intended purpose.

Hire a couple of Kodi devs to create an app & usable UI.
    Make the Kodi users guinea pigs for said UI.
    Receive generally favourable response.
    Use that UI in PMP (after 18 months of the PMP devs being nowhere further down the line with theirs.)
    Abandon PFK development in favour of anything to do with photo's.(because allegedly ruuk & keithah haven't been working on PMP.)

Five goals all with 100% success rate.

HitsVille

• keithahkeithah Posts: 1,294Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

We don't have anything to do with PKC, and ruuk has never done anything with Photos, and neither of us have touched PMP. (Allegedly is pretty funny though. Why would I lie? What benefit would that be?)

In addition, we pushed an update today, and have more in the works.

I'll point out again how user numbers drive client work and Plex for Kodi has super low ones. But they are actually climbing. We're ahead of one official client that isn't updated anymore (and all the 3rd party ones) so there's that. :)

@keithah said:
    We don't have anything to do with PKC, and ruuk has never done anything with Photos, and neither of us have touched PMP. (Allegedly is pretty funny though. Why would I lie? What benefit would that be?)

I'll point out again how user numbers drive client work and Plex for Kodi has super low ones. But they are actually climbing. We're ahead of one official client that isn't updated anymore (and all the 3rd party ones) so there's that. :)

An update now doesn't excuse the silent treatment we had for months.

Mac Mini (2.7GHz, Late 2012, Windows 10, Kodi DSPlayer) | SATV 16GB | Panasonic TX-P50GT50B | Yamaha RX-V675 | Q Acoustics 2010i (FL, FR, Left S, Right S), Q2000ci Center, Q2070si Sub

• keithahkeithah Posts: 1,294Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Doesn't excuse your sense of entitlement, either. :)

• _Francesco__Francesco_ Posts: 240Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@keithah said:

We’re paying customers, you know that? We are paying your salary.

@keithah said:
    We don't have anything to do with PKC, and ruuk has never done anything with Photos, and neither of us have touched PMP.

Yep typo obviously I meant PKC.

(Allegedly is pretty funny though. Why would I lie? What benefit would that be?)

Fair point and it didn't come across as intended so how about if I replace allegedly with reportedly · supposedly · reputedly · purportedly · ostensibly · apparently or any other suitable synonyms? :)

Yep its finally sunk in.
    Although I haven't encountered anything to the extent that @danjames92 has clearly suffered (enough to make him abandon it for a client that will actually allow him to view his media) there's no reason for me to think that next time it will not be me left in the lurch for a couple of months (without even a acknowledgement of the issue.)
    I do appreciate you're on the Plex payroll and work on whatever Plex.inc tell you to work on.
    What I didn't appreciate until now was that if a client is known to be broken (and unusable in some cases) actually expecting a fix or even just an acknowledgement before a couple of months classes someone as entitled.

I'm pretty sure if i was in that situation I would feel the same way, so thanks for again shedding the light and helping me see I have been wasting my time, I shall waste no more of either of ours! :)

HitsVille

Sounds good @HitsVille! :)

It was not consistently broken on most platforms, FWIW. It was edge case, nor was it ever unusable.

The entitlement isn't related to that. the entitlement is his specific use case, which is a barely-supported platform, by Amlogic's own terms (the board hes using) and they're actively working on getting better coupled with a minority used Linux distribution (Raybuntu) made troubleshooting his issues far more difficult, and they weren't apparent on Android TV such as Shield, or even x86 Linux Ubuntu distributions, and usually not even on Windows.
    As soon as we got reports related to common platforms and more reproducible scenarios, I worked at getting the fixes scheduled.
    But as I see, it's not enough. It's never enough. He's literally told me he would just prefer the entire project abandoned. So nobody gets to use it, its pulled entirely, because his issues weren't fixed. The tens of thousands of others using it everyday.. who cares about them?

• foghatfoghat Posts: 340Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@HitsVille said:

@keithah said:
    We don't have anything to do with PKC, and ruuk has never done anything with Photos, and neither of us have touched PMP.

Third time's a charm? :)

@foghat said:

@HitsVille said:

@keithah said:

Third time's a charm? :)

Holy crap. I give in lol

HitsVille

edited August 30

@keithah said:

If being entitled means wanting a product that doesn't crash 80% of time, fine, call me whatever you want. Fact is I provided logs for months and only now there is an update which magically fixes (I actually have no idea if it does) the issues you said were related to my platform, despite the fact others have reported the same issue on other platforms.... I had the same crashes using both LibreELEC and Raybuntu's build.

Here's what I actually said for everyone's benefit:

"Point being, if they (Plex) aren’t going to prioritize the PFK client, why does it exist in the first place? I would rather have no inkling of its existence than a half-baked experience left to rot and die."

Ignoring your customers is never ok. A simple, "we're working on it" would've been fine but you went dark for months.

Creating a new client then leaving it to die makes no sense in my mind but I've moved on. Good luck with the attitude.

@danjames92 said:

@keithah said:

If being entitled means wanting a product that doesn't crash 80% of time, fine, call me whatever you want. Fact is I provided logs for months and only now there is an update which magically fixes (I actually have no idea if it does) the issues you said were related to my platform, despite the fact others have reported the same issue on other platforms.... I had the same crashes using both LibreELEC and Raybuntu's build.

Here's what I actually said for everyone's benefit:

"Point being, if they (Plex) aren’t going to prioritize the PFK client, why does it exist in the first place? I would rather have no inkling of its existence than a half-baked experience left to rot and die."

Ignoring your customers is never ok. A simple, "we're working on it" would've been fine but you went dark for months.

Creating a new client then leaving it to die makes no sense in my mind but I've moved on. Good luck with the attitude.

Wait! Wait! There's an update!??!?!!?

. Win10 + HW Transcoding (QSV) | Define R5 Black + i5 4690K + 32GB RAM + 256GB SSD (OS) + 525GB SSD (VMs) + 4TB Storage Space + Nvidia GTX 760 DCU II OC
    . Shield TV (2015) + Kodi 18 + Plex for Android App | Minix NEO X6 + Android 5.1.1 + Kodi 18 + inputstream.adaptive + plugin.video.netflix

@keithah said:

"I'll point out again how user numbers drive client work and Plex for Kodi has super low ones."

humm... Plex for Windows 10 Mobile had millions of users and yet it was abandoned.
    How's that for numbers and prioritisation?!? Oh... wait... you're probably right :) ahahahha

What's even more funnier is that no one knows nothing about Plex client statistics and probably never will. That might be simply because it can be used in any discussion pointing out that x, y or z is not a priority. /s

Great to see you back!

p.s. Is Plex working something with Photo related?!? What a waste of time...

@anthonws said:

Hey presto... see today's blog.
    https://www.plex.tv/blog/put-photos-map/

HitsVille

Plex for Windows Mobile definitely did not have 'millions of users'. Windows Mobile barely had 'millions of users'. :)

• sn00psn00p Posts: 121Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@HitsVille said:

@anthonws said:

Hey presto... see today's blog.
    https://www.plex.tv/blog/put-photos-map/

I'm sure all 3 of the people that will use this new feature will be thrilled with the amount of effort and development time spent on it.

• stefanvanruitenstefanvanruiten Posts: 255Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited August 31

What a surprise to see this gone pubic now, just like PMP v1 they released an unfinished underdeveloped product to all users who now happily start trying this out only to see that it's full of potential but mostly ignored.

Well at least if it follows PMP in other areas as well, we'll see an v2 preview in around 18 months :).

I thought Plex distributed development time over popular features ... Or does that just go for the client apps?! Who on Earth would want that new photo feature with our without that map.

@keithah said:
    Plex for Windows Mobile definitely did not have 'millions of users'. Windows Mobile barely had 'millions of users'. :)

There was a "/s" at the end of the post :p ehehehe