If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Problems installing 1.7.5.4035; Crashed starting (Missing cacert.pem)

bellymanbellyman Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Windows 10 (pre-Creator) 1607
WAS 1.5.5.3634
NOW 1.7.5.4035

This past weekend I installed the latest (ass|u|me it was 1.7.5.4035) from the Plex web interface and was advised today that Plex was has not been working for a few days. I went to the PC and noticed it was not in the system tray and after trying to start (it starts and quickly quits) I went to the PMS log and found it was complaining that the cacert.pem was missing. I chose to just download and reinstall Plex (AFAIK I did not see "repair") and after that it still did not work and continued to report the missing file. A search yielded a file of this name in the Python folder (outside of Plex).

I then recovered from a July 1st backup just the PMS folder and the file was there. I then went back in and found (and RECALL) that there are problems downloading/installing 1.7.5. Instead of the usual download; then install asking for higher security - it never asked. Today it kept repeating to install and never actually did it - reboot/again/reboot - still nothing - the Plex web interface repeatedly said to INSTALL and functionally did nothing.

I resorted to installing the previously downloaded full 1.7.5 and chose REPAIR - after a few moments and reboot all is fine (cacert.pem is now under Resources). Size is different than Python - similar file or not, not sure.

Curiously - the install as stated when I did it the FIRST time before going to backup did NOT install cacert.pem. Don't know what does (if starting the first time it creates or what) but clearly a re-install didn't. Is it possible the first time I was shown REPAIR and chose INSTALL? Possible but from memory I only recall 2 buttons not 3 - and then 3 after.

So a number of issues with this upgrade - thankfully I had a backup. All appears to be fine now.

Comments

• krazytoastkrazytoast Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am having this same issue. I will attempt to reproduce your troubleshooting in hopes it fixes my problem. Thanks for the info.

• sa2000sa2000 Posts: 30,972Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

could it be the download exe file was incomplete ? If you check file properties of the file, what is the size and is there a Digital Signatures tab in the file properties?

The original file would be part of the install
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server\Resources\cacert.pem

The presence of a Digital Signatures tab in the file properties of the Plex-Media-Server-1.7.5.4035-313f93718.exe file is a good indication that the downloaded file is complete

Was this a manual install or one through the Plex Web updates interface?
    The install logs may have some clues
    They would be in C:\Users\xxxxxxxx\AppData\Local\Temp or C:\Users\xxxx\Appdata\Local\Plex Media Server\Logs\Installer Logs

Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

Please do not send logs by Private Message unless specifically requested to

• JahfenJahfen Posts: 1Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This sounds really dumb, but I found a quick fix for this issue. I ran into the same problem of missing the "cacert.pem" file. I was looking in the Plex Media Server > Resources folder and found a file named "dh512.pem". So I made a copy of it and renamed the copy to "cacert.pem" and now Plex is running wonderfully once again. I don't understand it... but it worked for me.

• sa2000sa2000 Posts: 30,972Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

@Jahfen said:
    This sounds really dumb, but I found a quick fix for this issue. I ran into the same problem of missing the "cacert.pem" file. I was looking in the Plex Media Server > Resources folder and found a file named "dh512.pem". So I made a copy of it and renamed the copy to "cacert.pem" and now Plex is running wonderfully once again. I don't understand it... but it worked for me.

A missing cacert.pem suggests there is a corrupt install - perhaps a corrupt download exe used for the install. Check the file properties of the download used for the install. A missing Digital Signatures tab or missing certificate within the tab would be indicative of an incomplete corrupt download

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

• Diago767Diago767 Posts: 4Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Jahfen said:

no idea whats going on but this worked for me :) my plex had been running fine for months and then suddenly stopped working with the same symptoms the OP described.

thanks Jahfen

• jilojilo Posts: 1Members

@Jahfen said:

Same issue and this workaround worked for me too.
    Thanks @Jahfen.

See my post http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1538070/#Comment_1538070

If there is a corrupt download install file then it would be unsafe to just go forward with that install.

Best to check the install file used for the last update - right click and select file properties for
    Plex-Media-Server-1.12.1.4885-1046ba85f.exe
    Check that there is a Digital Signatures tab showing with an entry for Plex Inc

If that does show, then the msi setup logs may have clues
    They would be in %LocalAppData%\Temp in log files with names starting Plex Media Server_yyyymmdd_hhmmss