If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

New Roku firmware seems to cause Plex to crash in the middle of playback

AshTray900AshTray900 Posts: 104Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited August 16 in Roku

ok so recently I have noticed playback on Roku (the only device I really use) has started to act up, I have set several playlists as I know the play option on a series would stop moving to the next episode after a few.

playlist worked great, I could keep the media streaming all night no issues at all until recently.

1st it started with the stream being hung at 33% and just stalling there forever, a simple pause and play would pick it right back up fine on the exact episode it was stuck on.

now I am noticing sometimes when it gets stuck I am presented with a white glitched screen and a green square or two up at the top corner, nothing has changed about my library, and I updated the rokus and it has not stopped.

both rokus are the ultra rokus and they are completely wired to the router with only cisco gigabit switches in between them and the router.

this started showing up maybe a month ago, anyone else have this issue? any fix?
I tried putting my reserved ip of the PMS in the connection options of the Roku settings, no difference, the PMS is on a machine that is very powerful and my monitoring software is reporting my hard disks are 100% fine, I updated the rokus, no change.

this is really aggravating since I love to have the tv run all night otherwise it goes off and wakes me up, call me crazy but I cant sleep unless its running at low low volume. hasn't been able to make it through a night but once in a month.

The PMS does not appear to be stopping on my machine. aka I don't have to reboot to get it back up (my system is set to auto login due to no run as service option)

Have tested on two different Plex servers and also Plex roku and Plex classic roku please help here

Comments

• JuiceWSAJuiceWSA Posts: 6,343Members ✭✭✭✭✭

Roku is currently suffering the dreaded Roku FW Upgrade Horror Show Version 9,934,453.

There is an update to FW Version 7.7 - '7.7 Build 7.7 4108-29', that may or may not fix any current issues, but more likely simply introduces different horrors.

I am currently stuck in limbo between the Roll-Back to Version 7.6 - that introduces random lockup/reboot syndrome on my Roku 3 - and waiting for the newest 7.7 to hit the FW server for me. Hopeful the new version un-bricks my Roku 3 and I get it sometime today. The former I don't have a lot of for, the latter should happen, because if it's one thing Roku Inc is good at it's delivery of horrific FW 'Upgrades' in a timely fashion.

That leaves me suffering through the Plex app on my AFTV - that locks up 3 times an hour (like it's been doing for two years now - so at this point considered normal). The next lock up will prompt the 'HDMI Cable to TV Trick' and the dragging of PMP over there. PMP does still work. Oddly.

Tony

FileBot For Easy Plex File Naming: http://www.filebot.net/

Automated Plex Naming With Filebot: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/191687/plex-naming-schemes-for-filebot

Plex Friendly Handbrake Guide - DVDs/BluRays: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1335697/#Comment_1335697

Plex Clients: AFTVs, Androids, PMP, Rokus (running RARflix: http://streamfree.tv/roku-channels/private/all/rarflix-108-thread.html )

• sa2000sa2000 Posts: 28,782Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

moving this to the roku plex forum

Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows

• AshTray900AshTray900 Posts: 104Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hmm one roku update didn't fix it just checked and there is another trying it. My roku ultras were working flawless with Plex until a month or 2 ago, and occasionally it will play all night or crash once every episode. Guess I'll see on this new update

• mrigmrig Posts: 40Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have been facing the same/similar issue.

Just starting the Plex (regular) app crashing roku, while using Plex (classic) seems to mostly work but once every episode it crashes.

Like you until a month ago had no problems

• mrigmrig Posts: 40Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I find on the Roku channel the suggestion to use the reset button for 30s which forces roku to go through set-up again. For me (fingers crossed) seem to have worked and resolved the issues.

• leelyndsleelynds Posts: 959Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thought that I was miraculously immune to the problem, but apparently not. No problems until a few days ago when the Roku 3 updated to software version 7.7.0 build 4108-04 (don't know if that's the latest version)

In any event, it just locks up and reboots, for no apparent reason, as reported here and a few other threads.

edited July 26

Nice 'feature', eh?
    7.7.0 build 4108-04 appears to be the latest and greatest for our Roku 3s - unfortunately.

Rolling back to 7.6 and preemptively rebooting the Roku before a session means it usually stays up for the duration of the session, but if it does auto-reboot I use RARflix for the remainder of that session, if I'm not already using RARflix. With 7.6 RARflix is immune. With 7.7 nothing is immune.

Tony

Automated Plex Naming With Filebot: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/191687/plex-naming-schemes-for-filebot

Plex Friendly Handbrake Guide - DVDs/BluRays: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1335697/#Comment_1335697

Plex Clients: AFTVs, Androids, PMP, Rokus (running RARflix: http://streamfree.tv/roku-channels/private/all/rarflix-108-thread.html )

edited July 28

Latest update didn't fix, definitely roku software issue been using my Xbox one, Instant buffer cant even see the percentage absolutely 0 crashes. Guess I'll just use it for now got 2 Xboxes for both commonly used rooms I'll just be out of luck in my office unless the old roku with rca jacks is unaffected it's on a console tv lol, the guests will be out of luck for Plex in the other room and I was planning on syncing the rokus at my mother's too since she's getting 1gps also but screw it. Cleaned up my Xbox home and it has everything but PlayStation vue of course...

• Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Posts: 4,365Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This is some Roku strangeness. It appears that Roku has fixed all the problems I have had with my Ultra and it is, finally. rock solid. But I have had a few reboots on my Roku 3s that I cannot seem to reliably recreate but have happened often enough to make me question the 3s reliability. This does show one of the dangers of trying to run the same, or nearly the same, software on different platforms. You fix one and you break another then you fix that and another breaks and so on ad infinitum.

The Roku 3s were the most reliable device in my AV setup but that is no longer the case. At least my Ultra is now stable.

My only complaint now about the Ultra is Roku stupidly usurping the star button for some worthless functions.

There still is no perfect streamer for me BUT my Rokus are still MUCH better than all the others for my usage.

Plex has lost me! I am moving all my local media consumption to Emby. There are things about Plex that are better than Emby but Plex has begun misleading their customers and even telling their users bald faced lies and that is unacceptable so I no longer use Plex for any media consumption.
    I will NOT be lied to by a company I have any choice about using.
    It has been a good ride but I now feel that I am the one being ridden.
    Emby is NOT better software but they are a better company at this point.

• primetimegoldprimetimegold Posts: 8Members ✭✭
    edited August 3

Same problem here.I have 3 rokus...two are rock solid,one crashing in plex.When investigating i noticed the crashing one had been updated to 7.7.So i googled 7.7 and found this threadJust rolled that one back for a test
    Update: After the roll back its now running with 0 issues.

There have been some reports that the latest Roku update screws up Plex for some people. To test this you can roll back to the earlier Roku firmware:
    On the Roku remote from the main menu press the following keys.
    Home button 5 times
    FF button 3 times
    Rewind button 2 times
    Secret menu pops up.
    Go to upgrade firmware section and choose to "upgrade" from 7.7 to 7.6

No guarantees but that has fixed some recent problems for some people.

Plex has lost me! I am moving all my local media consumption to Emby. There are things about Plex that are better than Emby but Plex has begun misleading their customers and even telling their users bald faced lies and that is unacceptable so I no longer use Plex for any media consumption.

• dgmelvindgmelvin Posts: 40Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited August 3

I cannot get through a plex video without losing sound and the finally the ROKU reboots. New since the 7.7 update last week. It sucks. I can't seem to watch anything I have recorded and even Netflix, HBO NOW and Amazon stop working. An hour or so the roku lost its network connection for no reason at all. ROKU is majorly broken, but PLEX was hit really hard. Who will be fixing this? ROKU or PLEX?

After the following 9 months of broken ROKU releases I guess it might be time to move to a different platform. Really sad. ROKU was a best for so many years. Now they don't seem capable of fixing anything. They must have had a huge turn around in their development teams. Really a tragic thing. They will likely not survive this.

• Gomer PyleGomer Pyle Posts: 10Members ✭✭

Same issue, I had to downgrade the firmware to 7.6 on Roku 3 and 4. 7.7 is nothing but trouble. I too loose faith in Roku, perhaps it is time to move to something better.

I just started using my xbox ones since I rarely use the other rokus in the other rooms, xbox one plows through plex without even seeing a loading blip at all, instant episode to next in the blink of an eye, in fact ive sort of switched over to the living room and bedroom xbox one for everything except ps vue, sadly the power of that Roku ultra is being wasted right now. the only downside of xbox one is the menus are laggy until you start an app or game, thanks Microsoft... lol

edited August 9

Roku now has my Roku 3 properly bricked as I am now locked into 7.7 with no way to roll back.

This is EXACTLY what they did with the Roku XS units - bricked by FW.

Unfortunately, for me, my only other Plex box is an AFTV and Plex has that one bricked for all intents and purposes with a Plex App that simply doesn't work, so for me, as it stands right now my ONLY Plex option is PMP through the HDMI cable directly from the Server Box to the TV controlled via the 25' mouse extension cable.

I will never, ever buy another Roku Product for as long as I live.
    If there were another Media Solution I would move from Plex so fast it would make would make their heads spin, but there is no where to go - and the problem is that Plex knows it.

Tony

@JuiceWSA I, at this point, suggest that you might consider getting a Raspberry PI and a decent IR remote for it. These are what I recently bought to upgrade (was not in any way broken) my old PI 2:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C6Q2GSY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008BW5A6S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    BTW: Almost any IR remote designed to work with a Windows or Linux PC will work fine and, if you already have something like a Harmony remote and a PC IR receiver you can just hook them up and tell the Harmony you are using a Chinavasion CVSB-983 remote. (That is the type of the linked remote.)

In many ways I have already found the PI app is very similar to the Roku app and, if you want something different, you can set it up to boot to RasPlex instead of RMP.

At this point I use my PI for Plex, My Fire for ESPN and Amazon and my Shield acts as a backup for everything. The only thing I have to keep my Roku active for is the MLS as there is no MLS app that includes the matches for any of my other devices.

I continue to watch for the Roku getting fixed but the current setup I am using works for me and I have little hope that Roku will recover from the current fiasco any time soon.

• jbaconbitsjbaconbits Posts: 176Members ✭✭

@JuiceWSA said:
    Roku now has my Roku 3 properly bricked as I am now locked into 7.7 with no way to roll back.

Unfortunately, for me, my only other Plex box is an AFTV and Plex has that one bricked for all intents and purposes with a Plex App that simply doesn't work, so for me, as it stands right now my ONLY Plex option is PMP through the HDMI cable directly from the Server Box to the TV controlled via the 25' mouse extension cable.

If there were another Media Solution I would move from Plex so fast it would make would make their heads spin, but there is no where to go - and the problem is that Plex knows it.

Mr MC's Plex integration is great on Fire TV. I usually use that over the Plex app.

@jbaconbits said:

@JuiceWSA said:

Mr MC's Plex integration is great on Fire TV. I usually use that over the Plex app.

Now you've got me curious.What is "Mr MC's Plex integration" and how would one get it on a Fire TV?

I thought I had heard of every Plex implementation on all the devices I own but that is a new one on me.

• jbaconbitsjbaconbits Posts: 176Members ✭✭

@Elijah_Baley said:

@jbaconbits said:

@JuiceWSA said:

Now you've got me curious.What is "Mr MC's Plex integration" and how would one get it on a Fire TV?

I thought I had heard of every Plex implementation on all the devices I own but that is a new one on me.

It basically just looks at your Plex library in Kodi's interface, so everything is still stored and shared from your Plex server but you get Kodi's playback benefits. Just buy the app on the store.

@jbaconbits said:

@Elijah_Baley said:

@jbaconbits said:

@JuiceWSA said:

It basically just looks at your Plex library in Kodi's interface, so everything is still stored and shared from your Plex server but you get Kodi's playback benefits. Just buy the app on the store.

Well I bought the app and it looks like I just wasted $3.00 because I see no way to see and use my Plex library at all. The only place I see Plex is in the Android apps section under "Programs" and that is just the same old Plex implementation for the Fire.

I hope I am just missing something. I don't really mind the $3.00 as it is insignificant BUT I do mind the time and effort spent for zero result.