If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Rasplex time issue

Jonm1911Jonm1911 Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Ok, so I've seen this issue once or twice on forum posts without a definitive answer as to what the issue is. Generally its passed off as a "network" issue, which is asinine, if nothing else on the network is having time issues.

I tried setting up Rasplex 1.8.0.148 today and I'm about to lose my mind. Installed the Rasplex image to my new SD card. Installed the SD card in my new PI3, powered on and everything worked fine, however I was not able to login during the config. No biggie, finished, verify my wired connection was good and was able to ping from my desktop. Then I realized the time was off, no biggie, updated to my timezone (US/America/NY) and the time was fine. Rebooted and...time was reset. Now, no matter what I do, the time resets to 7pm EST. Everything else on the network is fine, nothing has a time issue. I also configured a static IP, set DNS to 8.8.8.8, and manually configured all NTP servers to US ones, nothing. For **** and giggles I even plugged it directly into my modem, same. And I've tried all this on 3 fresh installs. SO, before I go use this as expensive target practice, anyone have any OTHER ideas, then "its a network issue".

Thanks

Answers

• videotecaCNSUvideotecaCNSU Posts: 316Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Well the Rpi doesnt have a battery to keep track of time so it uses ntp daemon to update its time on each start.

So, something is blocking on your network the ntp requests (your famous network issue) or your rasplex its just on another timezone.

Not really a big biggie if it wasnt for the fact that you need a correct date for secure logins (hense the possible fail to login during config)

Also have in mind that all linux systems work with Unix time over UTC, the time zone options are just for us, the stupid humans.

So to wrap it up, if your rasplex can do secure connections with your server, the time and ntp daemon are running ok, you only have it on a different timezone which shouldn't bother as most logs are stored by the server. If you cant do secure connections then something is probably blocking UDP port 123 to the internet.

• videotecaCNSUvideotecaCNSU Posts: 316Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Also have in mind that the date is displayed in UTC if you ssh into rasplex but you will see the local time at the top right corner of your TV if you configured the correct timezone

• Jonm1911Jonm1911 Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

So I plugged it in this morning, time was accurate. Logged into my account perfectly. Rebooted, everything is still fine. So I'm going to continue playing around with it to make sure. Not sure what the issue is/was. Guess I'll continue troubleshooting, but at this point its working at least.

• Jonm1911Jonm1911 Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@videotecaCNSU said:
    Also have in mind that the date is displayed in UTC if you ssh into rasplex but you will see the local time at the top right corner of your TV if you configured the correct timezone

I have yet to ssh into it. I'll be doing that after work today, just to play around a bit.