If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Library filename protocol

tld6008tld6008 Posts: 20Members ✭✭

For the life of me I can't get the TV shows or personal videos to show up in the library. The Movie folder works fine. I have renamed/rearranged as per the PLEX recommendations and have worn myself out doing the PLEX dance. I have attached a recent log also. My file structure is as follows with just one file shown as example.

/Media
/Movies
Movie content
/Misc Videos
Cocaine Blues.flv
/TV Shows
/Game of Thrones
/Season 07
Game of Thrones S07E01 .MKV
/Major Crimes
/Season 01
Major Crimes - S01E01 - Reloaded.MP4
/Season 02
/Season 03
/Season 04

I am running ZORIN 09.
Please HELP!

Best Answer

Answers

• tld6008tld6008 Posts: 20Members ✭✭

I typed all the file structure out but when sent it justified all tot he left margin

• sGarversGarver Posts: 474Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

And you have the your TV library pointing to the "/TV SHOWS" directory?

I'm not sure what you mean by pointing. All my folders with content are under the MEDIA folder and I assumed that is where PLEX looks for all the various files.

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Posts: 26,238Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging

Thanks, but I have read and followed these articles numerous times.

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Posts: 26,238Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

@tld6008 said:
    Thanks, but I have read and followed these articles numerous times.

Need to know: mp4 files can contain embedded metadata which often contains spam or useless information which disturbs the Plex matching process.
    Do this: Go to Settings - Server - Agents - Shows - TheTVDB
    In there, grab the line 'Local Media Assets' with your mouse and drag it downwards, so it ends up being at the bottom of the stack of active agents.
    Repeat the same under
    Settings - Server - Agents - Shows - TheMovieDatabase
    +
    Settings - Server - Agents - Movies - Plex Movie
    +
    Settings - Server - Agents - Movies - TheMovieDatabase

Also need to know: if you rename files after an unsuccessful or wrong match, you need to perform the Plex Dance or they will retain their wrong match even if you rename them to the correct format.

Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging

Thanks again, I just performed all you recommended then did the PLEX Dance and still have the same issues. Empty library when looking into the TV Shows folder or the Misc Videos folder

• sGarversGarver Posts: 474Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

What I mean is that the Movies Library should point to your "/Movies" directory. The TV Shows Library should point to your "/TV Shows" directory. NO Library should point to your "/Media" directory.

You've lost me. I do not direct the Libraries to point anywhere. PLEX looks to the Media folder for all files which are arranged in respective sub folders i.e. Movies, TV Shows, Music, Etc.

Thank you SO much! What you showed above was exactly what I needed. I had never actually added the path (pointed) to the folders with the edit/add folder option. I must have stumbled into it with my movies as they have always been available. Everything works as it should now and I feel like a moron...albeit a happy one.